RX100VII or A6400?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UofO Scaup

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for some advice on which camera system I should go with. I currently have an Olympus TG-5 camera in a Olympus housing, Backscatter M52 wet wide angle lens, and dual Sea&Sea YS-01 strobes. I'm looking to upgrade my underwater camera system for better picture quality. I shoot Sony A7RIII on land so I have a preference for Sony equipment. I've been pretty happy with the TG-5 but looking back at some of my pictures now that I have more experience to images seem kinda soft.
I'm considering a RX100VII with the Nauticam pro package system because it seems like a good value and the RX100 seems like a camera I would be more likely to carry around with me on the surface because of its compact size. But the A6xxx series bodies would work with my FE lenses too which would allow me to have more options on the surface. The downside is that I would be less likely to carry around the A6xxx because it's really not much more compact than my full frame camera. But if the A6xxx is much more superior than the RX100 in terms of picture quality I would likely go with the A6xxx. I guess another option would be to use my A7RIII underwater but the cost would be significantly higher.
Any advice or recommendations are appreciate.

Would shooting the a7r3 underwater be more expensive? You just need the appropriate housing and ports.

Would shooting the a7r3 underwater be more expensive? You just need the appropriate housing and ports.
It has been about 10 years since I flooded a camera & lens, and I am meticulous about the "care & feeding" of my camera gear. Having said that, I am aware that accidents happen. I would never attempt to dive with a camera that I am not willing to walk away from if something unforeseen were to happen. I shoot an A7R3 on the surface as well, and it is not a camera that I would personally be willing to put at risk underwater.

Looking for some advice on which camera system I should go with. I currently have an Olympus TG-5 camera in a Olympus housing, Backscatter M52 wet wide angle lens, and dual Sea&Sea YS-01 strobes. I'm looking to upgrade my underwater camera system for better picture quality. I shoot Sony A7RIII on land so I have a preference for Sony equipment. I've been pretty happy with the TG-5 but looking back at some of my pictures now that I have more experience to images seem kinda soft.
I'm considering a RX100VII with the Nauticam pro package system because it seems like a good value and the RX100 seems like a camera I would be more likely to carry around with me on the surface because of its compact size. But the A6xxx series bodies would work with my FE lenses too which would allow me to have more options on the surface. The downside is that I would be less likely to carry around the A6xxx because it's really not much more compact than my full frame camera. But if the A6xxx is much more superior than the RX100 in terms of picture quality I would likely go with the A6xxx. I guess another option would be to use my A7RIII underwater but the cost would be significantly higher.
Any advice or recommendations are appreciate.
OK, this is just my opinion, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt.

I shoot an A7R3 above the surface too, and I totally understand your reluctance to take it underwater. I personally don't dive with any camera that I am not willing to walk away from if it floods and an A7R3 is definitely not a camera I am willing to risk diving with. (As a quick side story, I just got my 1st "G Master" lens - the 100-400 GM.)

For my underwater camera, I use an A6000 in a Nauticam housing. For wide angle, I have been using the 10-18mm f/4 lens. For everything else, I have used the 16-50mm kit lens. I plan on upgrading to the 16-70mm f/4 Zeiss because not only will I get Zeiss optics, but it uses the same port as the 10-18mm lens, so it cuts down on what I need to pack.. I have been happy with my A6000.

If you were to get, for example an A6500 and the Fantasea housing, I think that it would be a cost effective upgrade from your TG-5. If you are willing to stray away from the "Sonyverse" and stay with an Oly for your U/W camera, this might be worth considering. It will be a very compact package, but will give you a larger sensor than either the TG-5 or the RX100 series:
Olympus E-PL10 Underwater Camera & Housing Review - Underwater Photography - Backscatter

Everything is a compromise. I hope you find one that works for you.

Hoag, Thanks for your reply. I too have the 100-400 GM lens. Amazing lens! Have you had any experience with a TG-5 or the RX100? I'm interested if there is a considerable difference in image quality when you step up from a compact like the TG-5 to a crop sensor and is it worth the cost.

Hoag, Thanks for your reply. I too have the 100-400 GM lens. Amazing lens! Have you had any experience with a TG-5 or the RX100? I'm interested if there is a considerable difference in image quality when you step up from a compact like the TG-5 to a crop sensor and is it worth the cost.
The short answer is no I haven't shot either the TG-5 (orTG-6) or any of the RX100 series of cameras so I am not qualified to talk specifics of one vs the other.

In general though (and of course there are exceptions) the bigger the sensor the better dynamic range and image quality you will have. Using this logic, the RX100 would likely give you better images than the TG-5. IIRC, the RX100 also gives you the ability to shoot fully manual which I believe the TG-5 can not do. this may not be something that you will be doing right away, but someday you might advance to the point where you like the flexibility that it gives you.

As you indicated, the RX100 cameras are very small and you are still dealing with a very small sensor. The small physical size has the advantages which you mentioned, plus you will be pushing a small package through the water column so that will have its own benefits. This is the reason why I suggested the Olympus E-PL9/Epl-10 package from Backscatter. A Micro 4/3 (M4/3) camera is not much bigger in physical size than the RX100 series, but it gives you the option of shooting with interchangeable lenses and a sensor that is significantly bigger than the 1inch sensor on the RX100 series. When I was using my M4/3 camera, I was able to fit my camera, a couple lenses, 2 ports & a pair of strobes into my carry-on quite comfortably. (I typically used the Panasonic 8mm fisheye, the Olympus 60mm Macro or the Panasonic 20mm "Pancake" lens.) This brings me to another advantage of the M4/3 system. In addition to the usual offerings from third party lens manufacturers, both Olympus and Panasonic have adopted this as their standard so you can use lenses from either as "native" lenses. With a M4/3 camera and the Panasonic 8mm fisheye lens, I only needed a 4inch dome port, so it was very compact in the water.

The next step up would be to the A6xxx series with an APS-C sensor. There is a step up in sensor size with the associated benefits. The jump up in physical size, however is not as much as you would think. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my current underwater camera is an A6000 in a Nauticam housing. I am still able to get my camera with 2 lenses, the housing and a port plus a pair of strobes into my carry-on. It is a relatively small package to push through the water, but noticeably bigger than a M4/3 housing especially when you start to put a wide angle lens on it. The dome port for the 10-18mm lens is a 7 inch dome compared to a 4inch dome on a M4/3. (Keep in mind that if you opt for the Sony/Zeiss 16-70mm f/4 lens, it will use the same Nauticam dome port (36129) as the 10-18mm wide angle lens so you would only need one port.) When thinking of a carry around camera, I think you would be surprised with the size of the A6xxx series. They are actually very small and make a great camera to carry around with you when you are not diving.

I think you are wise to not even consider your A7R3 as an option. Yes, it would (with practice) give you the capability of capturing some incredible images, but think of the loss if the housing floods. As the saying goes, the juice has to be worth the squeeze.

If I were in your shoes, here is what I would do, and keep in mind, this is only my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. I personally would eliminate both the A7R3 and the RX100VII from consideration. That would leave me with a M4/3 or an APS-C sized sensor camera. I think that is the "sweet spot" in terms of future proofing, flexibility (both have interchangeable lenses) and image quality. You have already decided that if you go APS-C that you plan on a Sony A6xxx camera. Try to establish what your priorities are (size of the camera? size of the camera & housing? price? commonality with your A7R3? Image Quality? ease of use?). All of those (and likely more considerations) will factor into your final decision.

I would spend some time reading (and watching) the reviews of cameras & housings on the Backscatter website (because you are, after all buying a system, both the camera and the housing have to meet your needs.) Find out what their recommendations are and try to determine if their recommendations make sense to you and meet your needs. If you are still undecided, call either Backscatter or Mozaik and speak with someone. Both of these companies have outstanding customer service and I would not hesitate to recommend either of them. (If you do call Backscatter, I would recommend that you speak with them about that Olympus E-PL9/E-PL-10 package I gave you the link to. That looks like it might give you a huge Bang for the Buck if you are willing to get outside of the Sonyverse.)

Like I said, this is just my opinion. No more and no less. Take it for what it is, ultimately you will have to get what is right for you.

The difference in IQ between m43 and a Sony RX100 series is quite a bit smaller than the sensor size alone would suggest.

For one thing,the RX100 lens is a few stops brighter (wide angle) than the more affordable housed lenses (I.e. not the absolutely unique Oly 1.8 fisheye). The per pixel performance on the BSI sensors is also simply better. Plus, they take wet lenses rather well. The current generation RX100 autofocus blows Olympus AF out of the water, certainly for the non E-M series Oly.

I shoot an ‘original’ RX100, which is aging but works. Macro is a relative weak spot - possible, but far less easy than a ILC with a macro lens mounted. I used to own a full micro-43 setup for land based use (E-M1, broad range of pro lenses and adapter old pro 43 telephoto glass...I do miss that 150/2.0 at times). I sold it because despite what a great little system it is, I prefer the output from my Sony A7rIII, which fits my needs better as a camera. It’s waaay too expensive to house and dive with for me. When time comes to upgrade the dive photo gear I’ll either stay with a 1” sensor (great compromise) with wet lenses, or possibly an APS-C Sony, although that will almost double the size of my travel packing. The RX100 with an Inon S2000 strobe is absurdly compact for the quality you get.

The E-PL10 package looks interesting.
Once you make a final decision & buy a new camera/housing, make sure to follow up and let us know what you settled on. Like the tabloid says ... Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Once you make a final decision & buy a new camera/housing, make sure to follow up and let us know what you settled on. Like the tabloid says ... Inquiring minds want to know. :)
Will do. Still weighing several options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom