Looking for photoshop tutorial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deaf diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've been looking due either a book or online training for photoshop for underwater photography. I found one program but it's very dated. Any ideas where I can find some instruction??

I've been looking due either a book or online training for photoshop for underwater photography. I found one program but it's very dated. Any ideas where I can find some instruction??

GoAskErin has both live and on demand offerings. Have a look and they might be what you are looking to find. Be safe

why are you wanting to use photoshop instead of something like lightroom?

Think of lightroom like the software used to develop photographs, vs photoshop as the program to heavily modify them. Lightroom lets you change all of the colors, crop, and do light touchup type stuff, you really only need photoshop if you're needing to do heavy editing.

Underwater specific stuff is really not pertinent though, the biggest thing is that the white balance will be farther off than normal photographs.

Probably easier to find a generalist photoshop course and from that work out what you need to apply to underwater photography. I lot of people like lightroom but to me it always been a digital asset management software with a reduced feature set for processing images.

Underwater doesn't have any particular special needs apart from correcting colour temperature from a long way off. The simplest way to deal with that is a levels layer and on each channel pull in the black and white points to the edge of the histogram stopping just as the image starts to clip. Once that is done tweaking contrast with an S curve is about it apart from backscatter removal and selective sharpening (you don't want to sharpen the water). You just have to make sure you import the image from RAW processing with a full histogram

I second Erin Quigly at Goaskerin she is awesome, also Doug Sloss's underwater lightroom website might be worth a look. I only use lightroom but Chris Ross's advice still holds true.
Youtube is also a good resource as the process is similar for land photos. The best thing I learnt was to make targeted adjustments and stay off the global sliders.

Which photoshop application do you use? I like the way Scott Kelby and Matt Kloskowski write them. They are task oriented and step by step. They do not cover every setting available. I do not use effects and not all of what the program has to offer. I edit in raw so I have individual adjustments.

Another vote for GoAskErin. Erin Quigley is the preeminent expert in this field and is having a special offer on "bundles" of tutorials. I've "attended" a number of her live events and they are very "content rich" and helpful. I've purchased her "Zero to Hero" bundle and highly recommend it. GoAskErin.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom