Hydro RIN ID marking is a "?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crzyfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone seen a RIN hydro ID as a "?" ?

I just got this PST Steel 72 and that's the first thing I noticed.
DOT 3AA 2250 4@77+ 3?84
I'm not worried about it passing hydro or vis but that RIN has me wondering.

Attachments

• 16030689008399009731946896198023.jpg
    16030689008399009731946896198023.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 120
Looks to me like he grabbed the wrong stamp; used a ? instead of a /.
Since a new hydro is needed and will replace that stamp, it is moot.

Isn't the ? the mark for the company doing the hydro or manufacturing?

The hydro I just got on my Norris 72 has an identifier unique to them. It's between 09 and 20. There could be infinite numbers of hydro branding iron designs, depending on who is doing the hydro. Mine was done by United Fire. Others all over the country probably have their own mark, so you would literally have to know where the hydro was done to verify it I guess....

IMG-4950.jpg

Hydro requalification stamps don't use "/" or symbols.
The hydro should be a 4-digit alpha numeric as shown in apenlands post.

"A415" is United Fire Equipment Co. 335 N. 4th Avenue, Tucson, AZ and is valid until Feb 2025.

There is no "?" RIN marking. To me it looks like someone tried to fake a hydro stamp but didn't have the 1/4 stamps to make the RIN number.

Take it in for hydro. A new hydro stamp should cure your issue.

Hydro requalification stamps don't use "/" or symbols.
The hydro should be a 4-digit alpha numeric as shown in apenlands post.

"A415" is United Fire Equipment Co. 335 N. 4th Avenue, Tucson, AZ and is valid until the year 2025.

There is no "?" RIN marking. To me it looks like someone tried to fake a hydro stamp but didn't have the 1/4 stamps to make the RIN number.

Take it in for hydro. A new hydro stamp should cure your issue.

This is indeed where I had the hydro test done. How did you look this up?

My understanding as well, but I believe the 4@77+ is the origional done by the manufacturer and 3?84 is a retest hydro. In other words you got me on both of them.

My go to list:
https://www.hydro-test.com/files/RESindustrydocs/Cylinder-Manufacturers-Symbols.pdf

Correct. The mfg's original hydro date is 4@77+ (Cochran Labs was the Inspector). I thought the "?" was a fluke and my go to list:
Retester Locations

is where I locate RIN ID. I like to know who did the previous hydros, especially if that shop is nearby and does a "+" certification.

HazMat Materials Search | PHMSA

The "approval number" field is where you'd type in A415. RIN numbers are read clockwise.
I get a fake RIN every few years. Or if a RIN that looks "weird" I might call and ask them to check their logs and verify they hydro'd the cylinder. Harbor Freight sells the stamps. You'd be surprised how many divers try it themselves. I don't know why. Even the cheapo HF stamps cost more than a hydro. Especially since you have to buy both the small set and the large set to make a decent looking fake hydro stamp.

Back
Top Bottom