Advanced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Around here, the dive sites for which I've seen boats require AOW are Farnsworth Bank on the backside of Catalina, and the oil rigs. Farnsworth is an underwater pinnacle; the top is only about 60 feet deep, but it drops off from there to about 200. I've dived there several times and never go below 110; most of the boats I've been on are rec-only and expect you back on board within an hour. The pilings on the oil rigs extend all the way from the surface to over 700 feet (Eureka; the twins are shallower at 260 feet.) One could certainly do a dive there with a max depth of less than 60' (I have; I've also gone to 100'). However deep you want to go, you're going to have to stop your descent before you land on the bottom. But perhaps because the consequences of not being able to do that are so dire, dive boats typically want to see an AOW card. I understand the same is true for a lot of wrecks in 80' or deeper. The 80' shark dive I did in Playa del Carmen required it too, though I was able to use that as my deep dive to get the AOW cert so it didn't delay my vacation plans.

Those are not really great examples, as the bottom is beyond OWD recommended limits...

Those are not really great examples, as the bottom is beyond OWD recommended limits...
An advanced course doesn't certify you to go to the bottom either, so I'm not sure what your point is. Obviously no one goes to the bottom of the Eureka oil rig. You can stop at 60, 100, 130, or deeper, but you gotta stop if you wanna come back up.

Technically, an OW diver is certified to 130 feet. There's a recommended depth limit of 60 feet, at least until you develop your skills, and some operators choose not to take OW divers to certain sites deeper than that, no matter their skills or experience. If you're not diving with one of those operators, you're not bound by their rules. Hence there's a grain of truth to the statement that you need AOW for boat dives.

An advanced course doesn't certify you to go to the bottom either, so I'm not sure what your point is. Obviously no one goes to the bottom of the Eureka oil rig. You can stop at 60, 100, 130, or deeper, but you gotta stop if you wanna come back up.

My point is that the risk profile is different from the one of a dive with a depth above the OWD recommended limit.

Technically, an OW diver is certified to 130 feet. There's a recommended depth limit of 60 feet, at least until you develop your skills, and some operators choose not to take OW divers to certain sites deeper than that, no matter their skills or experience. If you're not diving with one of those operators, you're not bound by their rules.

I fully agree with this.

Hence there's a grain of truth to the statement that you need AOW for boat dives.

But not with this: diving with an operator is not the same as diving by boat. You can be diving from shore with a guide that would not take you to a place with the conditions you describe anyway. As such, you may state that you may require AOWD to dive with an operator on a spot with a bottom beyond OWD recommended limits. However, the boat is not the critical factor.

I’m really curious from where you got this. 100% not true.
what I meant was if you go on a dive boat you need advanced scuba diving cert to go on dives below 60 feet. Didn't mean to pass on misinformation.

what I meant was if you go on a dive boat you need advanced scuba diving cert to go on dives below 60 feet. Didn't mean to pass on misinformation.
As I said, only if that boat requires it. Not at all always true.

In the spirit of cooperation flow and maintaining the divers vibe and the stability of the captains mind
It is best to get AOW so you are available to experience what is on offer and perhaps learn something

Something like you wearing a mask is for everyone else being the civil liberty

As @TMHeimer replied, only if required. Depends on who you dive with. 40% of my first 100 dives pre-AOW (93 from a dive boat) were below 60' - one shore dive was to 105'. All dives were in the Caribbean, Mexico, and Hawaii. The main reason I got AOW was in case I ran into a dive op requiring it for a deep dive - hasn't happened yet.

As @TMHeimer replied, only if required. Depends on who you dive with. 40% of my first 100 dives pre-AOW (93 from a dive boat) were below 60' - one shore dive was to 105'. All dives were in the Caribbean, Mexico, and Hawaii. The main reason I got AOW was in case I ran into a dive op requiring it for a deep dive - hasn't happened yet.

Several dive ops require more than AOW for recreational deep dives (i.e. below 30m/100ft).
I have been asked for an AOW card for dives between 18m (60ft) and 30m in Portugal, Cuba and Australia so it is not that rare.

Great discussion with good points to consider regarding AOW certification and dive boating diving! Unless I missed it, we’re missing a key consideration....... “Dive within the limits of your experience and training”. The limits of experience and training for deep dives does not automatically come from getting a AOW certification. My AOW certification was very disappointing but it was a step forward in learning. After the class, I was no way ready for deep diving without the assistance of an experienced diver or dive master for guidance. I’m still working on that experience and training which will enable me to do deep dives safely! There is no rush, I’m enjoying the learning process!

It’s not uncommon for dive operators in the U.S to ask to see an AOW cert for deep and/or risky/non-standard dives. ex. Black water diving. I’ve had operators in FL, NC, and SC ask to confirm that I have an AOW cert. Also had an operator in NC ask experience related questions to gauge whether or not I needed a babysitter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom