Car keys when shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got a dumb key made at home depot. I lock the fob in the car and take the dumb key diving with me. Make sure to rinse the key in fresh water and dry it completely before you stick it in the key slot. You don't want any salt water in the key slot.

So what happened? You got down to your car and realized you couldn't start it so you had to go back to your room & get the other key?
No. I grabbed my gear and got in the truck with some new dive buddies. Figured it out when we were done diving.

No. I grabbed my gear and got in the truck with some new dive buddies. Figured it out when we were done diving.
How did you start the truck & get to the dive site? (Or, why couldn't you use the same method to start it & drive home?)

I tie a dumb key with the drawstring of my bathing suit. It stays safely tucked against my waist. Though there was the one time that the drawstrings knotted up when I tried to take my key off my swim shorts, and then my phone in the car started ringing, so I tried to open the car door with a key tied to the front of my swim shorts with approximately zero inches of drawstring slack, and the lock was being difficult, then the car alarm went off, and well, let's just say that the whole debacle was... less than dignified. I did eventually get the door open and the alarm off, but that was the last time I did not fully release the key from my swimsuit prior to unlocking the car. My supply of holes to jump in upon such embarrassment is limited.
:facepalm:

I tie a dumb key with the drawstring of my bathing suit. It stays safely tucked against my waist. Though there was the one time that the drawstrings knotted up when I tried to take my key off my swim shorts, and then my phone in the car started ringing, so I tried to open the car door with a key tied to the front of my swim shorts with approximately zero inches of drawstring slack, and the lock was being difficult, then the car alarm went off, and well, let's just say that the whole debacle was... less than dignified. I did eventually get the door open and the alarm off, but that was the last time I did not fully release the key from my swimsuit prior to unlocking the car. My supply of holes to jump in upon such embarrassment is limited.
:facepalm:

That must have been entertaining to watch. :D

I have a Honda Ridgeline. There is a manual key for the trunk which I carry in my wet suit key pocket. The fob is locked in the trunk. To solve the problem of being unable to lock the fob in the trunk because of the signal, I wrap it in foil.

I can't believe Ford is the only company putting combination locks on their vehicles, and even they seem to be moving away from that. Seems like a missed opportunity.
The new Bronco has the old keypad as an option. Didn't check any other models. Pretty sure the trucks still offer it.

That's what I use on my truck. My keys always stayed in the truck at the boat ramp. After the first time my keys ended up at the bottom of the lake, I decided that would be the last time as well.

How did you start the truck & get to the dive site? (Or, why couldn't you use the same method to start it & drive home?)
The key I was using only opens the door. After that episode, I got a dog tag to put on the key ring marked "Door Only". I went to the dive site with some new buddies.

The key I was using only opens the door. After that episode, I got a dog tag to put on the key ring marked "Door Only". I went to the dive site with some new buddies.
But if you didn't have the key required to start the truck, how did you get it to the dive site?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom