Calvert Cliffs MD fossil dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about beaches on other side of bay (Viriginia side - beaches at Westmoreland park?) - has anyone ever dived there?

I’ve scoured Fossil Forums, here, and every website I can find. I have not seen any substantial recent feedback regarding diving off any of the VA fossil beaches.

On Westmoreland State Park...it’s a hike from the parking area to the beach. There are considerations, such as the tide, as well. Ex. Low tide is when you’re going to want to hunt the beach, as it exposes more material. High tide is likely when you’re going to want to dive there though, as you’re going to want every bit of depth that you can get.

I’m going to look again for a NOAA chart of that area. For some of the surrounding areas, the charts are pretty clear that it’s shallow, which is going to be a safety issue, as much as a access issue. By that, I mean that no one in that area is going to know what a diver down flag is. I would not want to venture too far from shore.

If I can get my tanks back from vis soon (before the river cools down) and pick up a garden cart to haul my stuff down to the beach, I might give Westmoreland a go just for *hits and giggles. Keeping in mind that it might end up being a waste of time.

If you strike out on a dive though, just bring a sifter and you can find some teeth on the beach afterwards so you don’t go home empty handed.

My parents retired and moved to the Northern Neck, so I am somewhat familiar with the area, but haven't spent any time out there looking for fossils. There is also an island called "Shark Tooth Island" unofficially, not sure what the real name of it is. Apparently it's privately owned and only accessible by boat, you get a day or annual pass to go there and dig on the beach. Supposedly people have had a lot of luck there. Wonder how it is just offshore of those beaches?

Cool. That’s a nice area (rural/quiet). It would be a nice spot to settle down and retire.

I’ve heard of “Shark Tooth Island” over on Fossil Forum. I’m not sure of the real name of the island either. I’ve read that it’s a good spot if you have a boat to access it, but I’m not sure on diving offshore of the island.

People are very tight-lipped about fossil hunting sites. I’ve asked non site specific questions about fossil hunting and had people essentially be like “go figure it out yourself.”

Unless you can luck out and find a local that’s willing to share some tips, perhaps offline (ex. Run into someone at the beach), I think you’re just going to have to learn from trial and error.

The problem is that for every person that’s just looking to go out and have fun once in a while and find a few teeth to stick on their mantel, you’ve got someone else that’s wanting someone to give up their spot so they can make money off of it. Ex. Commercial divers that hit the meg ledges and have poached GPS coordinates from dive operators.

I’ve read of people finding good sized teeth down on the James River. I sold a couple tanks to a guy that I’m assuming was diving the James. He was talking about finding teeth doing black water diving off his boat and I asked if he dove the Cooper. He said “no, I’m talking Virginia rivers.” He would not elaborate further. It’s like the first rule of Fight Club...”don’t talk about Fight Club.”

Yeah, I have heard tales of VA rivers producing teeth as well, but people aren't quick to give up details.

Westmoreland State Park falls on NOAA chart 12285_01. Right between Horsehead Cliffs and Stratford Cliffs is where the WSP trail hits Fossil Beach. Compare with google maps to get an idea of what it looks like.

Zoom in on the second chart down.

Chart 12285_01

Yeah, I have heard tales of VA rivers producing teeth as well, but people aren't quick to give up details.
Considering that the whole coastal plain was once the continental shelf, I'm not sure why the big hush-hush. Megalodon sharks strewed their shed teeth all over. I saw a kid find one in the gravel parking lot at St. Simons Island, Georgia, but I don't see that parking lot becoming a "spot."

Considering that the whole coastal plain was once the continental shelf, I'm not sure why the big hush-hush. Megalodon sharks strewed their shed teeth all over. I saw a kid find one in the gravel parking lot at St. Simons Island, Georgia, but I don't see that parking lot becoming a "spot."

Some areas are more rich than others. Around MD beaches...sure...people find a good size Meg tooth on occasion (I know of someone that found a ~5” tooth), but they are few and far between. Ex. I have found 150+ x < 1” teeth at MD beaches and zero teeth over 1”.

I ran into a few different people on beaches that found 1-2” teeth (Mako or GW...I don’t remember which). They were happy to show off their finds to passers by, but when asked if there was anything specific they were looking for (ex. Size of material/rocks/debris surrounding the tooth) to find larger teeth, I got a mumbling useless response along the lines of Milton from ‘Office Space’.

It’s the same story off NC and down in SC. Yes, you can find teeth anywhere. It’s knowing where they are in sizable enough quantities to make a trip worthwhile that matters.

Back
Top Bottom