Steel Tank Condemned: Cracks in Threads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just tell them that before you have it condemned, you want a DOT certified inspector to validate as a second opinion. VIP's aren't required by law
Yes. This.

A VIP inspector is not DOT certified. They are second tier at best. I know, because IR1.

Years ago a hydro inspector condemned one of my tanks stating “it would not hold pressure”. I sent the tank to the manufacture who informed me there was a piece of grit on the o-ring flange the prevented the hydro test from sealing. The tank was still good, however, the inspector X’d out the tanks.

It really irked me the tester condemned my tank without any written consent and before contacting me.

@shurite7 if they did that, then the dive shop that did the VIP is responsible for replacing them. It is a REALLY quick lawsuit for unlawful destruction of property if they refuse...

think he answered it... Hydro shops are the "law". (judge/jury/executioner)..

It was condemned at VIP. They made it clear that they want me to look at the tank (they said that proactively) and would not stamp it as condemned until I have a chance to look at it.

The shop in question is meticulous, in my experience. I’ve spent a good amount of money with them and they have no reason to hose me over a used tank. By being thorough, they’re actually losing money, as they won’t be charging me to O2 clean and fill that tank as a result of the cracks.

I thought this seemed odd, but like I said...I don’t think the issue is with this shop. I would be far less surprised to hear that the last inspection wasn’t as thorough as it should have been.

Hello @Barnaby'sDad
I haven't brought tanks to a LDS for anything in years. I suggest bypassing the middle man, and bringing them directly to a Hydrostatic facility. I have 2 in Florida that I use, and they are very reputable. There may be one near you. Just a thought.
Cheers.

I asked some follow-up questions. Additional information:

-Two people did inspect it prior to calling me. One of the two is a DOT inspector.

-They expressed that this is the first spun steel tank with a thread crack that they’ve handled.

-They would not be surprised if the crack was missed during a previous inspection because the threads weren’t clean enough to notice it prior to taking a nylon brush to them.

-It sounds like the cracked threads are VERY obvious...not tooling marks.

I’ll go check it out, but I’m not too hopeful.

@shurite7 if they did that, then the dive shop that did the VIP is responsible for replacing them. It is a REALLY quick lawsuit for unlawful destruction of property if they refuse...

The issue was settled. It was also a learning experience.

I am surprised by the hostility and accusations against the LDS by people here without having first hand knowledge of what has happened or knowing the full details, BUT this is the internet and everyone is an expert. So now it turned out that the LDS has a registered DOT inspector and he is the one making the diagnosis and the decision, so what to do next? Go around the state asking for second opinions until find one that has a different diagnosis?

@Barnaby'sDad

get some pictures as this is an uncommon enough event it would be a good learning experience

@BurhanMuntasser

because too many LDS have burned their credibility to the ground. if there weren't common horror stories of malfunctioning regs after supposedly professional service, improperly condemned tanks/regs/etc just to make a quick buck selling new gear to customers, and shoddy customer service/training all over the place, it wouldn't be this way.

same reason people flocked to Uber/Lyft, because the cab drivers sucked in major cities

I am surprised by the hostility and accusations against the LDS by people here without having first hand knowledge of what has happened or knowing the full details, BUT this is the internet and everyone is an expert. So now it turned out that the LDS has a registered DOT inspector and he is the one making the diagnosis and the decision, so what to do next? Go around the state asking for second opinions until find one that has a different diagnosis?

The general assumption around here where most local dive shops are concerned is that an unfavorable customer outcome is generally due to: 1. Incompetence, and / or 2. Malice.

Rarely is the third possibility (*hit happens) considered.

@Barnaby'sDad

get some pictures as this is an uncommon enough event it would be a good learning experience

Yup. I’ll see if I can get a picture.

Yeah, let's burn them back just because of few hearsay stories without double checking and getting the full details from credible sources (of course the anonymous message board has built in verification feature).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom