Best time of year to dive Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dolesorchard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We were to the big island last February and it was quite rough, so dive site choices were very limited. When is a better time of year?

Rainy season is November to March.
Dry season is April to October.
Summer months are hot and humid.
I've been diving there at various times of the year and February is definitely not the best. I've found the best weather to be in September and October. If you want to zero in on low season with few tourists, try the last week of August or first week of September. Summer vacations are wrapping up and kids are going back to school, so the islands get nice and quiet.

One thing to remember about Hawaii is we are a little island in the middle of a big ocean. Any day can be a big wave day

This time of the year has the warmer water, but for instance today was one of the wettest/cloudiest days I've seen recently.

I've dived every month of the year and I've seen dives cancelled every month of the year.

I wish I could give you a guarantee, but I have also been caught short on the other islands after traveling to dive.

One thing that does make winter a bit different is the whales... and yes August and September can be hot and muggy when the trades die down.

Reactions: CCS
You should get some decent info from divers who reside on the island. My experience on the Big Island has been:

mid-Feb. (Kona coast) - small surface waves, moderate currents, water temp 75º. No cancelled dives
late Oct./early Nov. (Kohala coast) - calm surface, slight currents, water temp 82º.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom