ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE FOR REBREATHER SENSORS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone have any additional data, feedback, or inputs? I am a couple of weeks away from putting the second AST cell in the mix.
Out of the four ast cells I have used one is in agreement with my vandagraph cells. One cell wont stay linear (output drops to 38mv )when dived but check out ok after a dive and drying out. I had one cell that was 7.2mv in air and 32mv in o2, dived fine then died and wont calibrate. I have another that was particularly strong at 12mv in air 60mv in o2 (new been out of bag a few days)after diving output dropped and is at 7.8mv in air.

My initial 4 were as described above. Check our fine on build, drift on the dive (or need recalibration pre-dive), and then either 0mV or back to normal hours after the dive.

AST (via Patrick@OxyCheck) replaced those ASAP (manufacturing error) and these new ones have been bulletproof!

Only bad thing I can say, is that there are just lot#’s on the cells, no mfr. date or any date codes.

_R

I still have an AST cell in my mix, but I'm going to take it out soon. I have lost confidence in their products.

Buddy had AST cells that are a few months old. Over the course of a week, he did have to recalibrate because the output on one cell was dropping--but it was still above the minimum by a good bit and it responded well during calibration. But over the course of a dive, at 210 feet, output dropped rapidly to 0mv.

It's just not worth the risk of having to bail out, which even at best might mean a dive cut short and our time is valuable...

If AST is still around in a few years maybe I will give them another try, but for now, it's AI or bust for me.

This risky cell will be in the trash soon, hoping my Subgravity AI cell arrives before my next dive trip.

Quick update to everyone. I just got off the phone with Patrick at OxyCheq. The root problem that I experienced sounds like it was a production ramp-up issue over the summer that impacted some of the sensors. I can't say I'm surprised, they basically went from a brand new company to building and shipping over 4000 cells in a short period of time.

The production issues have been addressed and newer cells should be fine.

If you have issues with your cell, please feel free to contact OxyCheq and they will take care of you.

Reactions: OTF
If they know which lot numbers were impacted, they should do a recall.

I'll sit out on the AST cells for a year or two and then reconsider.

agree. If they know there’s an issue they should post something and possibly do a recall. I heard the same thing Ken did about bad production issues. But based on reviews so far mine are staying in the bag and not getting used unless absolutely necessary. Oxycheq isn’t helping me with confidence in their products

Back
Top Bottom