what sidemount tanks do you dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

older LP steel 72's. works great. tried heavy steels. hated it. then when in warm water i use standard allum 80's

ONLY use LP tanks if you can get them cave filled. If you choose to dive LP tanks and you aren't getting cave fills, I am sorry but you're a dumba$$. There is truly no polite word for it.
IF you can get LP tanks cave filled *at least to the same pressure that the HP tanks would be filled to*, then LP tanks may make sense. I personally use Faber LP121's as my primary sidemount tank. They're enormous and heavy, but in the water they get quite floaty when they're empty and are very similar to an AL80. I am big enough to use them comfortably though.

Since you are diving FX100's I assume you're looking at LP85's since they're siblings. With the LP's, you'd be 3lbs lighter per tank that will have to be replaced with lead assuming you are neutrally weighted. The only advantage in the water is when you are handling the tanks in front if you where the more neutral they are, the easier they are to deal with. Unless you're doing serious wreck penetration or squeezy cave ****, I wouldn't bother looking at LP tanks.

LP85 @ 3600psi holds 15% more gas than HP100 @3442.
If you can get cave fills (typically ~3800 psi) it does make sense IMHO.

ONLY use LP tanks if you can get them cave filled. If you choose to dive LP tanks and you aren't getting cave fills, I am sorry but you're a dumba$$. There is truly no polite word for it.
IF you can get LP tanks cave filled *at least to the same pressure that the HP tanks would be filled to*, then LP tanks may make sense. I personally use Faber LP121's as my primary sidemount tank. They're enormous and heavy, but in the water they get quite floaty when they're empty and are very similar to an AL80. I am big enough to use them comfortably though.

Since you are diving FX100's I assume you're looking at LP85's since they're siblings. With the LP's, you'd be 3lbs lighter per tank that will have to be replaced with lead assuming you are neutrally weighted. The only advantage in the water is when you are handling the tanks in front if you where the more neutral they are, the easier they are to deal with. Unless you're doing serious wreck penetration or squeezy cave ****, I wouldn't bother looking at LP tanks.

where I fill my tanks the shop does not fill past 3000psi but I get free fills. I was looking at the LP 104s

doesn't fill anything past 3000psi? That's garbage. Why are you looking at 104's?

Yeah it sucks but it’s free. I was thinking 104s so I can have 100cuft of air or more if I can get them filled to 3000psi

Back
Top Bottom