Megalodon Tooth Haul

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very cool. Good timing too. I’m assuming they’ve got to be close to wrapping-up for the season.
Temps were 77 degrees on the bottom, it was nice. If people are willing to dive they are usually willing to go out. I know the owner of that charter is taking a few weeks off soon, but will likely be running again in November.

Can you tell a little more about the dive? How deep, open circuit or closed, multiple dives, just the one?

Can you tell a little more about the dive? How deep, open circuit or closed, multiple dives, just the one?

Sure. The dives in the popular tooth sites range from 90-115 feet deep. My dives over these two days ranged from 108-110 deep. We do three dives a day. I do them open circuit though it isn't uncommon to see CCR divers doing them, we had one on the boat the other day.

Went out for two days last week diving for teeth, ended up with a decent haul. These teeth were found roughly 40 miles offshore of Wilmington, NC. Haven't been cleaned yet.

View attachment 619244
Hello. There's a Black water shark tooth dive in St Marys, Georgia. (River dive.)
Divers Den.
Evidently, this area is known for these type of teeth.
It's over $200.00 for the dive. I couldn't really justify the cost. Their retort was that they are worth a lot of money, and "If." you found one........and "If." you found someone to buy it.... it would pay for the cost of the dive. Is there really a market for these?
Cheers.

Hello. There's a Black water shark tooth dive in St Marys, Georgia. (River dive.)
Divers Den.
It's over $200.00 for the dive. I couldn't really justify the cost. Their retort was that they are worth a lot of money, and "If." you found one........and "If." you found someone to buy it.... it would pay for the cost of the dive. Is there really a market for these?
Cheers.

There is a market for collector grade teeth. The vast majority of teeth aren’t in that condition though.

Megalodon Teeth For Sale - FossilEra.com

That being said, even teeth that aren’t in great condition are worth something. Ex. Smokey Mountain Knife Works in TN had a discount bin of ~3” teeth when my parents went there last year. I think they were about $30-40 each.

I’ll have to look up St. Mary’s. I did black water dives in SC for teeth. Definitely not as chill as the dives off NC. My two cents...if $200 is for three dives...it would be worth putting that on your bucket list.

There is a market for collector grade teeth. The vast majority of teeth aren’t in that condition though.

Megalodon Teeth For Sale - FossilEra.com

That being said, even teeth that aren’t in great condition are worth something. Ex. Smokey Mountain Knife Works in TN had a discount bin of ~3” teeth when my parents went there last year. I think they were about $30-40 each.

I’ll have to look up St. Mary’s. I did black water dives in SC for teeth. Definitely not as chill as the dives off NC. My two cents...if $200 is for three dives...it would be worth putting that on your bucket list.
Hello. Very interesting.
How Are Megalodon Teeth Priced?
Cheers.

Divers Den.
Cheers.

Is there a market? Yes, to an extent. But I don't sell mine. If I found a museum quality tooth (I have seen some teeth sell for more than $2,500), I personally would probably just hold on to it. So for me, I am not diving to sell them, I enjoy finding them. That being said, plenty of people sell some or all of what they find. At least one diver on the boat both days was someone who dives for and sells full time as their primary source of income.

As far as justifying the cost - eh, that's up to each individual. Inshore tooth dives in NC run about 275 a day, offshore runs about 300, and it's a long day being that far offshore. To me, its worth it, and I don't make any money. I have fun as it's a type of diving I really enjoy, and I get the added bonus of taking something one-of-a-kind home with me. It's not an everyday type of thing for me, but definitely worth it to me.

I guess you could look at it this way - I paid almost 700 dollars to go out for two days. I probably did get easily 700 dollars worth of teeth, retail value were I to sit there and sell them individually. But the value to me was the good time I had.

There are other cheaper options for tooth diving, there's the Cooper River (blackwater diving, much cheaper, much longer bottom times) which I haven't done yet, there's also a decent amount of tooth diving off Venice, FL (long bottom times as its 20-30' deep, don't find teeth as big, at least I didnt).

Is there a market? Yes, to an extent. But I don't sell mine. If I found a museum quality tooth (I have seen some teeth sell for more than $2,500), I personally would probably just hold on to it. So for me, I am not diving to sell them, I enjoy finding them. That being said, plenty of people sell some or all of what they find. At least one diver on the boat both days was someone who dives for and sells full time as their primary source of income.

As far as justifying the cost - eh, that's up to each individual. Inshore tooth dives in NC run about 275 a day, offshore runs about 300, and it's a long day being that far offshore. To me, its worth it, and I don't make any money. I have fun as it's a type of diving I really enjoy, and I get the added bonus of taking something one-of-a-kind home with me. It's not an everyday type of thing for me, but definitely worth it to me.

I guess you could look at it this way - I paid almost 700 dollars to go out for two days. I probably did get easily 700 dollars worth of teeth, retail value were I to sit there and sell them individually. But the value to me was the good time I had.

There are other cheaper options for tooth diving, there's the Cooper River (blackwater diving, much cheaper, much longer bottom times) which I haven't done yet, there's also a decent amount of tooth diving off Venice, FL (long bottom times as its 20-30' deep, don't find teeth as big, at least I didnt).

I‘m a numbers person and I tend to equate things in terms of value (I’m selectively cheap/thrifty). The way I would put it...yes...these dives are very expensive compared to the vast majority of domestic recreational dives. However, when you look at what goes into that cost...a big boat, lots of fuel, liability insurance, 2+ hours out and 2+ hours back, etc. On the Jet Lag in particular, I can’t even imagine what the fuel bill must be for one day.

It’s a full day underway (as you said). In terms of value and bang for your buck..I would say that it’s not a bad deal. If you’re pinching pennies for dive gear or something else, you wouldn’t want to do too many of these dives, but for what they are...they’re cool as hell.

Diving the Cooper River is a completely different animal. My two cents...I’d consider doing it again, but it isn’t remotely relaxing (dealing with the current). I’d dive the Meg ledges before doing the Cooper River again. If you want longer bottom times though, black water diving is going to be what you want.

I’d like to do Venice Beach fossil dives some day. While they occasionally find some decent teeth there, they don’t appear to be the quality or size of the ones found up in NC.

I’d like to do Venice Beach fossil dives some day. While they occasionally find some decent teeth there, they don’t appear to be the quality or size of the ones found up in NC.

The Venice tooth dives are good in a way - you get the viz and relaxing water of the NC dives combined with the depth and bottom times of the Cooper. You just don't get the big teeth... :D

In Venice a 4" meg tooth is a showstopper on the boat, and in NC its very average. Price is also great in Venice. The operator we used charged $60 a diver for two dives, dives averaged 60-70 minutes. They have a further out site that was $90 if I remember correctly.

I got a ton of nice little teeth, lots of sand tigers and lemons. Would definitely recommend if you're ever in that area.

Got some cleaning done. These are some of the nicer teeth I got. A few more good ones still aren't ready to be cleaned. Quarter for size reference.

Attachments

• MTIMG_5575.jpg
    MTIMG_5575.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 176

Back
Top Bottom