How old is too old to scuba dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveHeart

DiveHeart Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
https://www.diveheart.org/seniors-going-scuba-diving/
eheart.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F03%2Fseniors-going-diving-diveheart-1-440x293-300x200.png

DIVEHEART.ORG
Seniors Going Scuba Diving with Diveheart
Seniors Going Scuba Diving with Diveheart Schaumburg, Ill. By Erin Ivory, WGN9 Most senior citizens will do just about anything to avoid being hooked up to an oxygen tank, but 91-year-old Velma Robinson and her friend Helen signed up for it, donning goggles, fins and a 45 lb. oxygen tank to try scub...

donning goggles, fins and a 45 lb. oxygen tank

During OW I referred to air as oxygen and got yelled at by my German instructor.
Yep. Makes you question the validity of Diveheart's outputs....

It must be a slow day. Seniors are often hooked up to an oxygen tank due to smoking related illness, which they referenced early on.

I’ll give them a pass on the second reference, as calling it an oxygen tank the second time around makes it more clear/less confusing to the target audience on their website.

The real crime was not doing an additional edit/revision after posting on their website to make the piece posted here ScubaBoard approved.:popcorn:

Maybe the Diveheart promo should just say...... "More seniors are now getting hooked on sucking on gas tanks"...

After decades in the media business I've learned that if a media outlet does a story about Diveheart or anyone else and they get 80% of the story right it's a win :) Diveheart is fortunate to have had hundreds of news stories done about us. They are all not perfect but they've helped create awareness that helps grow adaptive scuba around the world. I'll accept a media mistake every now and then. If you're bored, check out these stories and find out how many mistakes you can find https://www.youtube.com/user/DiveheartFoundation/playlists

After decades in the media business I've learned that if a media outlet does a story about Diveheart or anyone else and they get 80% of the story right it's a win :)
This is akin to something that happened to me a few years ago. In addition to scuba, I'm also into astronomy. A friend had asked me to join him with our telescopes at a park in a nearby town for a gathering of seniors to "look at stars." The organizer of the event had called a reporter/photographer from the local paper to do a brief write-up on it. And sure enough, the next day, there was a photo of the 2 of us with our telescopes and a short write up under it that said "Gregg S..... and David M.... search for constellations with their telescopes..."

I both cringed and laughed when I read that. Anybody that knows anything about astronomy knows that the only way to see a constellation is with the naked eye. They're much too big to see with even the slightest of magnification. You can only see the individual stars or other stellar objects that lie within a constellation with a telescope.

So, yay me. I have not one but two activities I participate in that most members of the media have no idea about and get most things wrong about.

Back
Top Bottom