Woman rescued after 12 days in Zion NP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Reactions: Dan
If she fell, suffered a head wound, and was not well (ex. Concussion)...you’re assuming that she’d think of the PLB.

The more prudent move would have been to pick a less remote trail if you were planning on hiking solo.

What’s the real story? She’s VERY lucky to be alive.

you’re assuming that she’d think of PLB
In 12 days? Well it's still a good idea for off trail hikes.

I heard about that as well- we were in Zion early October 2019 and did a few sunrise hikes, and it was very cold before the sun came up, hovering around zero. She must have been very cold overnight without proper gear.

I am very glad she was found alive, 12 days in Zion backcountry would be very serious even with proper gear and preparedness.

In 12 days? Well it's still a good idea for off trail hikes.

A PLB is a great tool for someone that happens to find themself in a bad situation.

The problem with PLB’s is that they embolden some people to place themselves in bad situations because they think “If something happens, it’s ok. I’ve got a PLB.”

I don’t think I’ll survive for 12 days lost in the woods without water and proper clothing. That‘s why I carry this little thing (PLB1, see the picture,below) with me when I go hiking, skiing & diving.

B863BAA1-6CBA-43C6-986C-8EAC13D57C7F.jpeg

A PLB is a great tool for someone that happens to find themself in a bad situation.

The problem with PLB’s is that they embolden some people to place themselves in bad situations because they think “If something happens, it’s ok. I’ve got a PLB.”

I don’t think it’s the case for me. Why would I put myself in a bad situation? I have it and wish I would never use it. However when accident happens, you may not have others around to help and no cellphone signal available or your cellphone battery is dead when you get a signal, it’s good to have the PLB in your hand.

I have it for 3 years now. Just extend its registration with NOAA for 2 more years as its battery is good for 7 years.

I don’t think it’s the case for me. Why would I put myself in a bad situation? I have it and wish I would never use it. However when accident happens, you may not have others around to help and no cellphone signal available or your cellphone battery is dead when you get a signal, it’s good to have the PLB in your hand.

I have it for 3 years now. Just extend its registration with NOAA for 2 more years as its battery is good for 7 years.

Im not talking about everyone that chooses to own a PLB. I said “some” people.

New details released on California mom who went missing in Zion

I wonder what the real story is? She may have got off trail and hurt herself too much to walk, but no one can survive 12 days without water. Glad they found her in time, but what's the real story? BUY PLBs PEOPLE!
There is much more to the story than is being told. I read in another account that she did not take a cell phone with her. I would speculate that she did not want to be found or located. Hell. she could have been in Vegas for a week.

Reactions: Doc
New details released on California mom who went missing in Zion

I wonder what the real story is? She may have got off trail and hurt herself too much to walk, but no one can survive 12 days without water. Glad they found her in time, but what's the real story? BUY PLBs PEOPLE!
There doesn't have to be anything more to this story than what's been stated. For one thing, she had natural water. There are streams and seeps all over Zion. From the New York Times:

...she injured her head on a tree with a blow so disorienting that she could not seek help or stray far. But she survived by staying near water until Sunday, when help found her.

Also she was an experienced hiker who presumably was properly dressed for the temperatures. You won't die of starvation in 12 days.

From the original article:

When Courtier was found, she was covered in bruises and had lost a lot of weight. She is now recovering in a hospital.

This is not a story of someone who spent 10 days in Vegas pretending to be lost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom