Woman rescued after 12 days in Zion NP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think what contributed to the rumors that she wasn't actually lost, was how no information on where she was found was provided for days after it was announced she was back with her family. Then, finally, there was an announcement about her having dinged her head and toppled over next to a river, right in the park.

There doesn't have to be anything more to this story than what's been stated. For one thing, she had natural water. There are streams and seeps all over Zion. From the New York Times:

...she injured her head on a tree with a blow so disorienting that she could not seek help or stray far. But she survived by staying near water until Sunday, when help found her.

Also she was an experienced hiker who presumably was properly dressed for the temperatures. You won't die of starvation in 12 days.

From the original article:

When Courtier was found, she was covered in bruises and had lost a lot of weight. She is now recovering in a hospital.

This is not a story of someone who spent 10 days in Vegas pretending to be lost.

“She was able to leave of her own capability with minimal assistance,” Rowland added.

Her daughter stated that she did not drink any water from the river due to fears that it was toxic.

A boy hiking with his mom spotted her.

All statements have been made by the daughter or sister.

Just seems pretty fishy to me.

Reactions: Doc
“She was able to leave of her own capability with minimal assistance,” Rowland added.

Her daughter stated that she did not drink any water from the river due to fears that it was toxic.

A boy hiking with his mom spotted her.

All statements have been made by the daughter or sister.

Just seems pretty fishy to me.

They’re just relaying information as told to them by someone that suffered a head wound. Speaking from experience (dealing with someone that suffered a concussion)...I wouldn’t expect a detailed explanation of what happened to ever be shared if she suffered the head wound early on. Why? She might not remember much now and much of it might never come back to her.

That's pure speculation by the sergeant. He doesn't have any more info than the rest of us.

Maybe we should wait for some first-hand info.
The sergeants team helped in the search. He also has several years in SAR in the area. I would think he has quite a bit more info than we do.

Maybe we should wait for some first-hand info.
I have a hunch that'll not happen.

She must have found a dripping spring or something. First, she couldn't walk more than two steps then she walked out on her own? Got to wonder.

Oh hell I’ll bet there’s bidding on book rights.

I think she just didn't want to be found. Apparently, she was in an area where hikers are all the time. When I first read the article after she was "rescued", I thought to myself that she was just wanting to get away from everything and chose to leave to get away from it all...

Wow! We have some really suspicious folks on this board. From my recollection of several military survival courses, if you are lost/injured, and are near a water source, stay put and wait for rescue rather than put yourself in a potentially more dangerous situation where water might not be available. If you have been to Zion, you would know that if a person did not want to be found, it would not be that hard to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom