Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't believe that I work for the company and heard about the release here first! There were already 2 or 3 pages of posts before they sent out the announcement through email. And here I thought I had the inside scoop!!
Oh well. At least I know where to go for news releases!

Out of his mind? Hmm, not quite, but nice try.

Try?

I would go out of my mind if I was constantly having to swap what I was wearing and tracking on multiple different platforms.

:rofl3:

Convenience. Apple has built an empire on that notion.

I get the Apple convenience. You can have your text messages (iMessages) on your phone and your iPad. Read it in either place. Reply in either place. See it in both. Facetime other people in the Applesystem, whether they have an iPhone, an iPod, or an iPad. Buy an app on iPhone and use it on iPad, too. Etc..

If I want to text someone and my iPhone is in the other room on a charger, but my iPad is right here, I can use that. That is convenient.

This is what I'm still trying to understand about the Garmin ecosystem and dive data. What are examples of the actual convenience?

Convenience (to me) means it makes things easier. There are less steps to do what I want to do.

So, it means installing one less app on your phone (if you're not going to use Subsurface). I guess that is a convenience.

What other convenience is there to having your dive data in the same app with your hike/bike/run data?

If you're going to import your data into Subsurface, then REALLY what is the convenience of having to either go through the Garmin cloud first, or having to use a USB cradle to get it imported into Subsurface?

I'm not saying there is no benefit. I've said all along, I don't have a Garmin device that is relevant to this, so my mind is open to possible benefits that I don't perceive because I haven't been through the experience. That's why I'm asking.

Please, enlighten me!

Please, enlighten me!

In my personal experience, the benefit would be for someone like me, who does a number of other activities (hiking, biking, swimming), maybe even more so than diving. The first benefit is those of us that keep track of the different statistics, and like all the different activities combined statistics accounted for together in the same place. Another benefit is that the computer keeps track of on-gassing during other activities, like spending time at altitude (mountain biking, or hiking) then coming down a few thousand feet to dive, you'll start your dive with a percentage of nitrogen saturation, which was calculated during your other activities. The last benefit that I've taken advantage of is; I've done a hiking activity on my computer through a jungle using a predefined waypoint to cenote, then dove. And those two activities are together in my activity list on garmin connect, which I like, the way to get where I dove, and then my dive info. Now, there are 2 phone apps in regards to a garmin dive computer. First you have connect, which keeps track of all your other activities as well as your dives, and you can keep track of combined statistics. Then there is the garmin dive app, which only keeps track of your dives, more like a dive log book. Both are automatically updated when the computer syncs.

I wouldn't ever suggest to anyone that the way I do things is the best for everyone. Those are just a couple of examples of why I like having all my activities in the same ecosystem. Now, I'm sure there are some negatives as well. There has been some concern of using your dive computer as your activity tracker while doing some high impact sports, which is definitely valid. I personally mountain bike probably 4-5 times a week, and use my MK1 strapped to my handle bars so I can see the maps while I'm riding. I haven't had any issues doing that then going diving. But who knows right? Find what works for you and go with that.

The prices for the MK2s are shocking. Why are they even calling the 2i a Descent? It's priced like a MARQ (Athlete, to be precise)!

I run, swim, and bike, so I'm plenty familiar with Garmin and its reputation for making cool but expensive kit that sometimes works, but I am nevertheless absolutely floored that the new MK2s are so much more expensive than top tier products by established dive computer manufacturers. One could buy a quality sports smart watch AND a nice Shearwater instead of having every egg in one basket and save money in the process! I respect Puma's point above, but I note that Puma has an MK1. I wonder if one ecosystem is worth MK2 prices to folks. I guess we'll find out.

I'm not saying there is no benefit. I've said all along, I don't have a Garmin device that is relevant to this, so my mind is open to possible benefits that I don't perceive because I haven't been through the experience. That's why I'm asking.

Please, enlighten me!
Well. There you have it. No separate login or app for your dive data as a matter of convenience. 5 AI transmitters for team diving. You can look at your dive computer and monitor the air of your dive team as well. It seems much more robust than any single electronics on the market.

Please, enlighten me!
I have an Mk1 and I run/cycle/walk etc. I don't get it either.

The Garmin ecosystem is complete rubbish with respect to diving. It is full of ridiculous inconsistencies (which suggests the developers have no clue about diving). I am more than happy to track my diving in one system (e.g. Subsurface, or my home grown dive log) and my fitness data elsewhere.

Guys, do you know if the mk2 can actually measure heart rate underwater on a drysuit/drygloves (that is, with a chest-belt monitor) - in real time?
No!

This is more a limit of physics or at least the choice that Garmin made long ago on how their heart rate monitors would talk to their watches.

ANT+ cannot work underwater. End of story. Garmin would have to move to a different technology to be able to transmit the data from the HRM to the watch. Now, I guess in theory, they could use similar technology to the new transmitters but that would mean reengineering their HRMs, too. I can't see that happening.

Another benefit is that the computer keeps track of on-gassing during other activities, like spending time at altitude (mountain biking, or hiking) then coming down a few thousand feet to dive, you'll start your dive with a percentage of nitrogen saturation, which was calculated during your other activities.

That is indeed a cool feature that doesn't get talked about much It was interesting to watch it go up when I traveled to Tahoe along with plane flights..

The prices for the MK2s are shocking. Why are they even calling the 2i a Descent? It's priced like a MARQ (Athlete, to be precise)!

I run, swim, and bike, so I'm plenty familiar with Garmin and its reputation for making cool but expensive kit that sometimes works, but I am nevertheless absolutely floored that the new MK2s are so much more expensive than top tier products by established dive computer manufacturers. One could buy a quality sports smart watch AND a nice Shearwater instead of having every egg in one basket and save money in the process! I respect Puma's point above, but I note that Puma has an MK1. I wonder if one ecosystem is worth MK2 prices to folks. I guess we'll find out.

I want to buy one just to look like a rich Rambo! To me its all about the look..and i might just get certified soon.

But really it does an absurd amount of things for a few hundred more than a Teric. Also the price is for the AI version is the same as it was for the top tier mk1, which seemed to sell well enough to make a new version.

As far as HR has anybody else had decent readings while wearing thicker wetsuits on the mk1? I know I surprisingly have which I don't get how it could but it reads 70% or more of the time through my 7mm and through my 3mm like it isnt even there.

Another benefit is that the computer keeps track of on-gassing during other activities, like spending time at altitude (mountain biking, or hiking) then coming down a few thousand feet to dive, you'll start your dive with a percentage of nitrogen saturation, which was calculated during your other activities.
But what research is that tracking based on? That's what worries me. Has there been any research into this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom