Floaty feet with Seawing Novas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Over the years I have gone through several different fins. I started out with the Atomic Splits, tried the Scuba Pro Jets, Mares Volos (loved those but they're full foot and I really need to wear a boot while climbing ladders), and finally I got Seawing Novas. I really like them a lot. They propel me through the water well and I maintain pretty good buoyancy with them (and I can do a modified frog kick pretty well with them). My only issue is that when going through swim thrus I seem to have 'floaty feet'. This might just be a psychological issue as one of my fears is of banging my tank into the overhead environment so I try to stay low - and as I stay low it seems my fins float higher. I've thought about wearing 1 pound ankle weights to see if that will help - I've also thought about trying my old Scuba Pro Jets, as I stopped using those because I seemed to always be in a heads-up position as they were sooo heavy. Maybe my buoyancy has improved enough that this wouldn't be a problem anymore?

Either way, I don't want to hit the overhead environment with my tank OR my fins! Ideas and suggestions welcome. Thanks!

My opinion is avoid the ankle weights like the plague.

Are you still here in Cozumel? What wet suit if any were you wearing? Are you wearing boots and how thick are they, what I call slippers or just socks? Where do you have your weight on your BCD? I forget who you dive with, steel or aluminum tanks?

If you're here in Cozumel, what size shoe? My wife is in the US and I freely lend her stuff out LOL while she's gone!!

I don't know the Seawing Novas, what are their buoyancy characteristics? Maybe you just need a slightly more negative fin, Dive Rite XTs?

Smaller sizes are proportionally smaller, these are pretty powerful fins

I don't know the Seawing Novas, what are their buoyancy characteristics? Maybe you just need a slightly more negative fin, Dive Rite XTs?

I have a pair or five of them here - they float, not lots but they do.

Smaller sizes are proportionally smaller, these are pretty powerful fins
upload_2020-10-21_18-48-28.png

My opinion is avoid the ankle weights like the plague.

Are you still here in Cozumel? What wet suit if any were you wearing? Are you wearing boots and how thick are they, what I call slippers or just socks? Where do you have your weight on your BCD? I forget who you dive with, steel or aluminum tanks?

If you're here in Cozumel, what size shoe? My wife is in the US and I freely lend her stuff out LOL while she's gone!!

Last I was there I was diving with AquaSafari (aluminum tanks). I wear 5mil boots - they're the only ones I have and I like the cushion across the top of my foot, as well as the little bit of warmth) as well as spandex socks. I was diving in rash guards and carrying 8 pounds of lead (felt a little overweighted toward the end of the week).

Thanks for the offer. Your wife is a saint for allowing you to lend out her stuff!!

What do you think of the Jets instead of the Novas?

Don’t overthink this.
F9F5B352-A781-4685-AF33-3014C0BD7AFC.jpeg

Yeah why do people use heavy fins isn't finning hard enough
Move some weight down or some neoprene up

Over the years I have gone through several different fins. I started out with the Atomic Splits, tried the Scuba Pro Jets, Mares Volos (loved those but they're full foot and I really need to wear a boot while climbing ladders), and finally I got Seawing Novas. I really like them a lot. They propel me through the water well and I maintain pretty good buoyancy with them (and I can do a modified frog kick pretty well with them). My only issue is that when going through swim thrus I seem to have 'floaty feet'. This might just be a psychological issue as one of my fears is of banging my tank into the overhead environment so I try to stay low - and as I stay low it seems my fins float higher. I've thought about wearing 1 pound ankle weights to see if that will help - I've also thought about trying my old Scuba Pro Jets, as I stopped using those because I seemed to always be in a heads-up position as they were sooo heavy. Maybe my buoyancy has improved enough that this wouldn't be a problem anymore?

Either way, I don't want to hit the overhead environment with my tank OR my fins! Ideas and suggestions welcome. Thanks!
Hello. Your very reasonable, in the sense that you're basically answering your own question. Try your old fins. If you really like your Novas....try the ankle weights.
I suggest diving with what you like.
You'll figure it out.
Cheers.

8 lbs. three in each pocket 2 in the rear pocket?

love my Nova’s....no issues at all.

Back
Top Bottom