Camera housing tax? ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Mike Walker

Is this tax a one off, can you re-enter Mexico again with the same housing and not pay tax a second time?

Not that I'm likely to travel there but just curious.

There was a lengthy SB thread on this topic a year or so ago when it first arose. As I recall, the tax payment was good for a year as long as you had the receipt. Mike may be able to confirm.

Mike,

great write up. Saw it on WP.

Since this started a few years ago, I have crossed SJD off my travel list. Will not tolerate these scams. Just as easy to go to SJO and the Cocos with no shakedown. Plus CR is a very beautiful and friendly place.

Harry
Anyone got a code list?

@Mike Walker

Is this tax a one off, can you re-enter Mexico again with the same housing and not pay tax a second time?

Not that I'm likely to travel there but just curious.

Speaking for Canada (and I don't think this is unusual elsewhere): Typically once you've imported a good and paid duties and taxes you do not have to pay those duties/taxes if it enters again, for example, when you send it off to the manufacturer for repair or calibration. I'm far from a customs expert, but I do this occasionally for business. You are, however, typically taxed on any 'improvements' (billable repairs, calibrations).

That's how it is supposed to work.

I think the underlying takeaway in my post above is that, at SJD, they will do whatever they want. They are not following their own laws and you, as a recreational traveler, have no viable means of contesting the decisions made on-the-ground in the customs hall.

The more people that waste their time arguing with them, the more people that make it known they are not travelling to Mexico because of these policies and the more people who request chargebacks (and hopefully win) the better the odds we will see some sanity. For now, however, it seems like one must accept it as part of the cost of the trip.

I don't think this is likely to change. We are too small a demographic to matter. If anything, it might expand to other ports of entry.

Hopefully this conversation continues and someone eventually finds another solution or line of reasoning that they accept.
There are less convenient but alternate ports of entry in the area if you are flexible in your schedule. Or routing through MEX.
Stories of 'I got lucky and they didn't check' or 'I lied to them' or 'I bribed the guy' are all suffixed with 'that one time' and just perpetuate the underlying problem.
Perhaps the operators down there can work further up the bureaucratic chain and get some real answers and change.

Scams perpetrated and sanctioned by governments, no matter where they occur, are very hard to fight. Unfortunately, no jurisdiction is immune from them.

Anyone got a code list?

SJD = Los Cabos International Airport in San Jose del Cabo, Baja California Sud - when most people fly to (what they call) "Cabo" this is the airport they use.

SJO = Juan Santamaría International Int'l Airport, San Jose, Costa Rica

CR = Presumably the nation of Costa Rica

I cant help you with "Coco" that people in this thread keep mentioning. Probably they mean that island full of sharks and CGI dinosaurs.

Mike, thanks for such a detailed and well written post of your experience. I agree - make it an official "Marine Park Tax" and I think many people would be much more accepting. But outright graft tends to be perceived negatively.

Was looking into doing a Sea of Cortez since it's relatively close to Los Angeles (we normally go to Cozumel). This is just one more reason to say no :(

All, am going to the Sea of Cortez in early November with a group, flying into SJD, will report back on this issue. Must say, am very very disappointed to read @Mike Walker's lengthy and cogent post--seems like you did everything right to no avail at all.

Thanks.

Hi folks,
I am going to Cabo next week on the Aggressor Socorro. I am resigned to the tax but I can't find out if it is a cash only pay or if I can pay with a credit card? does anyone know?

Never mind. I just found my answer in Mike's full length discourse. Thanks for that detailed discussion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom