Aqualung legend Octo vs ABS Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k954triniz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently bought the leg3end elite setup, upgraded from my 13 year old titan lx setup. As y’all know they don’t come with spare Octo. I have a air source on my bcd so I don’t need an Octo at the moment but as my diving progresses I am upgrading all my gear, so now I’m going with a apeks backplate and wing setups and then I will need a spare Octo. I dive In south Florida boat and shore dives, warm waters. Eventually I will do some travel diving and some cold water diving ( why I actually spring for the legend and not a cheaper alternative). The last info I could find about this subject is from 2006, has anyone used a abs Octo with a legend first stage recently. From what I read is that I will have free flow issues. Now this info is from 2006 and it’s 2020 so I don’t if they upgraded there products. But please advise.

I have an ABS octo. It currently sits in a bin as it has been replaced by more standard 2nd stage regulator as the ABS did not sit the way I wanted it to on a bungee necklace.

I have also read of issues with it free flowing but never experienced that myself and I had it attached to a Mares MR22 1st stage....the MR22 has an IP range of 142 to 148 PSI, from what I can tell, the current Legend 1st stage has an IP range of 116-130 PSI....mine breathed great down to 40+ meters without issue....if the ABS is properly adjusted it should not give you any issue with the Legend 1st stage especially with the reduced IP.

The pro of the ABS is that it can be breathed upside down, so if routing the hose via the traditional recreation setup with the hose routing from the right side, the octo can be donated upside down without issue and it will breath dry just as it does right side up....but for a primary donate setup, I found that I did not like the way it hung on the bungee necklace.

If you are not sure yet how you want to configure your gear, or are planning to play with your configuration, then I recommend going with a standard shape 2nd stage Octo. The Calypso/Titan octo is simple, works well, and is relatively inexpensive.

-Z

I have a air source on my bcd so I don’t need an Octo at the moment

If you have an air source, you should have your primary second stage on a long hose (1 meter at least) since you will use the air source and give the primary second stage to your OOA buddy. It will be very difficult to donate a second stage on a standard primary hose, use a long hose for the primary.

It sounds completely counterintuitive, but it nearly always makes sense to use your best regulator as your emergency alternate. All modern regulators breathe pretty darn well, it's mainly a comfort thing unless you're talking diving well beyond recreational limits. So you really want the buttery smooth breathing during an emergency. So I would put an equivalent quality reg as your alternate.

the abs octo can be tuned to work with the legend, the legend octo will just have a lower wob. a compromise that would be slightly cheaper but still good would be the core octo. i have never found the low profile octos to perform well.

As far as setup donate subject when i ask all my dive buddies most say they will go for the yellow hose but you never know. I prefer that way because who really wants to donate their main 2nd stage they paid top dollar for but i understand the science behind it, It’s confirmed working. So far I’ve never had to deal with any of my buddies running out of air but never say never right. I am thinking of a long hose setup because a good portion of the dives i do are wrecks being that we have hundreds in south Florida and i assume it will make life a bit easier if i ever have to spare inside of a wreck. That being said i will probably end up going with a standard Octo. Probably the legend model for uniformity.
As far as my gear now with the air source i do have a standard length hose on there for my primary, but this setup was bought and setup by the shop i bought it from about a month after i got my open water cert in 2007. I took an 8 year break from dive( now i regret) so I didn’t really think about it. Now that I’m back I’m figuring out what i need and want hints the backplate and wing. Tried my friends setup one dive and felt way better in the water than in my own gear.
I have an ABS octo. It currently sits in a bin as it has been replaced by more standard 2nd stage regulator as the ABS did not sit the way I wanted it to on a bungee necklace.

I have also read of issues with it free flowing but never experienced that myself and I had it attached to a Mares MR22 1st stage....the MR22 has an IP range of 142 to 148 PSI, from what I can tell, the current Legend 1st stage has an IP range of 116-130 PSI....mine breathed great down to 40+ meters without issue....if the ABS is properly adjusted it should not give you any issue with the Legend 1st stage especially with the reduced IP.

The pro of the ABS is that it can be breathed upside down, so if routing the hose via the traditional recreation setup with the hose routing from the right side, the octo can be donated upside down without issue and it will breath dry just as it does right side up....but for a primary donate setup, I found that I did not like the way it hung on the bungee necklace.

If you are not sure yet how you want to configure your gear, or are planning to play with your configuration, then I recommend going with a standard shape 2nd stage Octo. The Calypso/Titan octo is simple, works well, and is relatively inexpensive.

-Z

If you have an air source, you should have your primary second stage on a long hose (1 meter at least) since you will use the air source and give the primary second stage to your OOA buddy. It will be very difficult to donate a second stage on a standard primary hose, use a long hose for the primary.

It sounds completely counterintuitive, but it nearly always makes sense to use your best regulator as your emergency alternate. All modern regulators breathe pretty darn well, it's mainly a comfort thing unless you're talking diving well beyond recreational limits. So you really want the buttery smooth breathing during an emergency. So I would put an equivalent quality reg as your alternate.

the abs octo can be tuned to work with the legend, the legend octo will just have a lower wob. a compromise that would be slightly cheaper but still good would be the core octo. i have never found the low profile octos to perform well.

The ABS should be renamed the DEATH-TO-PUS
Wet as breathing and the last thing you want handed to you in an emergency. I bought some regs on E-Bay once for the first stage and primary second, it came with the ABS. Had a play in the pool with it and was promptly removed.

Oh man even more fuel to just get the legend Octo
The ABS should be renamed the DEATH-TO-PUS
Wet as breathing and the last thing you want handed to you in an emergency. I bought some regs on E-Bay once for the first stage and primary second, it came with the ABS. Had a play in the pool with it and was promptly removed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom