Steel Tank Condemned: Cracks in Threads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He might have mentioned it when you were dozing off after 473 pictures of ruptured tanks and 67 explanations of why they are the very best tank inspection company in the history of the world. They probably squeezed it in right at the end, when they ran out of time just before the scheduled tank inspection practice.

I nearly spat up coffee - that was so funny. I did my original course with Bill High - he was as dry as Mark.

I nearly spat up coffee - that was so funny. I did my original course with Bill High - he was as dry as Mark.
Me, too. Both classes were the same as I described above.

I don't get this most incessant drive to blame the LDS with the various conspiracy theories based on either false or nonexistent reasons.

It isn’t a matter of blame, it’s a reminder to the owner of the tank to insure that an expensive mistake is not being made.

I know the expertise in performing a VIS varies widely from shop to shop in my area. If this were to happen to me, I would take it to my hydro shop unless I could absolutely confirm the issue myself, which isn’t likely.

No one has done anything wrong, and if the OP lets the shop condemn the tank, it doesn't bother me, it’s no money out of my pocket

I am going to post again people need to learn the difference between civil and criminal liability. A dive shop can legally condemn a tank, there are ZERO laws about it....

That said, a rejected cylinder that can not be remediated should be condemned. A dive shop can legally do that. However, because the VIP is an industry standard and not law the dive shop should effectively communicate to the owner before condemning a cylinder. If they do that WITHOUT the owner's permission then they have assumed a civil liability.

I think you are really splitting hairs here. My point was that a dive shop does not have the authority to condemn or destroy a customer's tank. You apparently agree with that. Of course if you give them permission they can do whatever you gave them permission to do.

I think you are really splitting hairs here. My point was that a dive shop does not have the authority to condemn or destroy a customer's tank. You apparently agree with that. Of course if you give them permission they can do whatever you gave them permission to do.

No I am not splitting hairs. The use of term "legal" / "illegal" has a very specific meaning. You used it incorrectly. Because of that it diminishes what follows.

thread cracks:::::::::::::::::

View attachment 619297

thread tap stops can look sort of like cracks but they will be spaced equally in multiple places around the threads. every 120 degrees or 60 degrees etc and they will look more straight compared to the above picture where it is jagged.

Definitely looks like cracks in the pictures that I received. On the higher magnification...to me...it looks like another crack is forming (above the obvious ones).

26E8BCE6-519F-4AB9-824A-B1EFB02F6D7F.jpeg

B210B384-5B3B-4E8F-AA89-7CB0A700B827.jpeg

@Barnaby'sDad well I'll be damned, that's a first for me! I called my buddy that does all of my hydro's and he says he's only ever seen 2 steel tanks with actual cracks in the threads. Both were spun Asahi's. He hydro's about 200 bottles/day and has been doing it for about 20 years...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom