Steel Tank Condemned: Cracks in Threads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Odd that the cracks don’t appear on the actual threads, I wonder if it’s an artifact of that type of tank construction??

@Barnaby'sDad well I'll be damned, that's a first for me! I called my buddy that does all of my hydro's and he says he's only ever seen 2 steel tanks with actual cracks in the threads. Both were spun Asahi's. He hydro's about 200 bottles/day and has been doing it for about 20 years...

Yup. From looking around, it is pretty obvious that this is extremely uncommon. *hit happens & better luck next time.

Definitely looks like cracks in the pictures that I received. On the higher magnification...to me...it looks like another crack is forming (above the obvious ones).

View attachment 619640
View attachment 619641
While it looks like cracks in the pics and very well may be, I'd rock the camera to vary the light angle just to be sure it's not tooling marks. I say that due to them looking raised, none seen in the raised threads, and odd looking lighter ones below in the shadows.*

*(I'm viewing these on my phone, so what I'm seeing may be skewed and other stuff may be more apparent to others using a larger screen).

Odd that the cracks don’t appear on the actual threads, I wonder if it’s an artifact of that type of tank construction??

From the sounds of it, it has something to do with that. Literally the only references I’m seeing to steel tanks with neck cracks are “SPUN.”

I didn’t have an issue with my last two SPUN steel tanks, but I will obviously keep an eye on the “good” one and not buy anymore of them.

While it looks like cracks in the pics and very well may be, I'd rock the camera to vary the light angle just to be sure it's not tooling marks. I say that due to them looking raised, none seen in the raised threads, and odd looking lighter ones below in the shadows.*

*(I'm viewing these on my phone, so what I'm seeing may be skewed and other stuff may be more apparent to others using a larger screen).

I will blow them up on my iPad later just for lol’s, but I don’t see how they’re not cracks. Ex. You can see that the lower crack appears to extend down to the neck. There appears to be a new crack forming above the pronounced ones.

What confuses me is that the crack doesn't appear to be continuous, like the photo of a crack in Post#60, but appears to be interrupted.

What confuses me is that the crack doesn't appear to be continuous, like the photo of a crack in Post#60, but appears to be interrupted.

I think that’s the key word here. It doesn’t appear to be continuous. However, the cracks appear to be essentially in a straight line, which I have to assume has something to do with a fault in the metal along that portion of the tank.

Definitely looks like cracks in the pictures that I received. On the higher magnification...to me...it looks like another crack is forming (above the obvious ones).

View attachment 619640
View attachment 619641
I believe those are stop marks from the threading bit. The mark does not extend across the threads. I believe you can see a shadow from the light indicating a height difference in the metal at that point.
Send the pics to PSI. They can give you an answer

Like rsingler I have difficulty seeing it as a crack as it is not continuous, however if you do decide to have the tank condemned it would be interesting to cut a section of the neck off through the crack to see if it extends into the metal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom