Steel Tank Condemned: Cracks in Threads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, if one was to use a steel pick, and cross the apparent fault feature, if it was a tap mark, it would bump up, if a crack, it would drop, right?

Yep to the first. Maybe to the second. Most picks aren't fine enough, nor cracks wide enough to drop.

But this pic is straight out of the PSI/PCI VIS class on tool marks.

Definitely looks like cracks in the pictures that I received. On the higher magnification...to me...it looks like another crack is forming (above the obvious ones).

View attachment 619640
View attachment 619641

This I would call a crack. if all the marks were like the middle one and they were every 1/3, 1/4th or 5th around the threads I would call it a tap stop.

time for a Dye Penetrant Inspection.....

Curious, would a visual eddy reveal anything here?

probbly not as the eddy machine has to be made for the alloy if you were thinking about using the 6531 or 6061 eddy machine.

Looks more like sloppy threading work than a crack, to me.

Why would anyone want an Asahi cylinder anyway? They're unnecessarily heavy. LDS may be doing you a favor.

Looks more like sloppy threading work than a crack, to me.

Why would anyone want an Asahi cylinder anyway? They're unnecessarily heavy. LDS may be doing you a favor.

I believe that it is painted on with crayons. A conspiracy with epic proportions by an evil LDS wanting to sell more tanks using a fake DOT licensed inspector.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom