Sea Turtle Rescue/Release Group?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got home from another Cozumel trip & I did this Sea Turtle Workshop while I was there. It was an incredible experience!! We rescued 13 baby turtles that had not made it out of their nests & after sunset we opened a live nest that was ready to hatch & 139 baby turtles made their way to the sea from that nest plus I I got to personally release the 13 rescued babies. This is a workshop experience. After assuring that all the turtles are out of the nests we checked, we dug up the egg casings, counted them, then buried them. Ricardo & Noel (biologists) picked me up at my resort around 4:15 pm & we drove to Punta Sur park. Turtles were released about 15 min after sunset. $60 for the experience, includes a shirt, transportation, they also had sodas & snacks plus I gave them a nice tip/donation. You can also contact Ricardo directly at 987-111-0629. Can’t get any of my videos to upload....sorry.

Attachments

• 5F1021CF-ACE4-4795-9554-83906A78F2E5.png
    5F1021CF-ACE4-4795-9554-83906A78F2E5.png
    466 KB · Views: 52
  • B5A77B4C-4BD5-4A7E-80ED-4F3C7ED2106A.jpeg
    B5A77B4C-4BD5-4A7E-80ED-4F3C7ED2106A.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 6AE5A75A-CE76-4D59-BD0F-A10EA441F837.jpeg
    6AE5A75A-CE76-4D59-BD0F-A10EA441F837.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 82E795CB-DBFD-4793-89AA-BDAA2FA2E192.jpeg
    82E795CB-DBFD-4793-89AA-BDAA2FA2E192.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 46
Ricardo & Noel (biologists) picked me up at my resort around 4:15 pm & we drove to Punta Sur park.
That's a nice upgrade included on the upcharge as getting over there and back is always a concern. For my first trip, Jeanie at Tres Pelicans arranged for me to meet the Ecology employees and ride with them in their pickup - too loud to talk in the cab on the way over then riding in the back on the way back. On my second time, my dive Op's owner wanted to go too so took me and a couple of young girls also diving with him so that was lucky. The T-shirt, drinks, and snacks are a nice touch, but I chuckle about the certificate. Heck, frame it and hang it.

I just got home from another Cozumel trip & I did this Sea Turtle Workshop while I was there. It was an incredible experience!! We rescued 13 baby turtles that had not made it out of their nests & after sunset we opened a live nest that was ready to hatch & 139 baby turtles made their way to the sea from that nest plus I I got to personally release the 13 rescued babies. This is a workshop experience. After assuring that all the turtles are out of the nests we checked, we dug up the egg casings, counted them, then buried them. Ricardo & Noel (biologists) picked me up at my resort around 4:15 pm & we drove to Punta Sur park. Turtles were released about 15 min after sunset. $60 for the experience, includes a shirt, transportation, they also had sodas & snacks plus I gave them a nice tip/donation. You can also contact Ricardo directly at 987-111-0629. Can’t get any of my videos to upload....sorry.

Thank you so much- I will call and see if they are still doing the workshops when I am there.

Ricrado is great at FPMC ( FPMC is Federal Agency not tourist operator). He has a lot of knowledge and experience. Well worth it.

Typically Pantera does rescue / releases untill November 15th
Checked with Jeanie, due to covid she is sitting this season out but she is still helping out from remote. Actually a high nest count so far, 7000+. They are doing classes this year Monday thru Thursday by appointment. Jeanie can arrange it or you can go thru the ecology department (I do not know the contact info for the ecology office) I plan on going over myself during the last week.

Might you be able to provide contact info for Pantera? I cannot find anything about them online.
Looks like the Ecologica are only doing the natural releases the week I am on Coz, but I am still very interested in going.
Was going to try and combine an afternoon island tour with the turtle release and then get dropped off back at hotel? Does that sound like something Pantera would do?

Contact Jeanie @Tres Pelicanos. She is currently off island but still working with and helping Pantera from remote. Her husband Mike was over at his house earlier this week for Pantera's birthday party.

dive@trespelicanos.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom