Wanted: Strong screwdriver bit set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought about snap-on. I'm a little leery after seeing some teardowns of their lithium power tools and finding them unimpressive. I think I might give their bit set a try. Several of the bit sets suggested here aren't available to US buyers (wera, facom).

Good tools are worth the investment, if they REALLY are good tools. Snap-on does make some great tools, but they make others that are questionable now too... Which isn't a big deal if the snap-on guy comes by your shop every day for easy warranty replacement, but I am a home gamer.
A fellow AvE fan?

Profanity alert. Snap-on at 5:30, "the Gucci purse of the mechanics world"

I am a fan of Milwaukee ptoducts, for their quality and endurance.

I have a brother in the trades who absolutely swears by them -- and he punishes tools like no other . . .

Chinese origin or not, I have yet to break a bit in nearly ten years; or be required to replace a punk lithium ion battery pack. Had I ever suggested that they were manufactured in Wisconsin, along with kegs of Valentin Blatz?

I hadn't realized that everything, that we have on hand, must pass some ideological litmus test, before use.

We'll all be left with a paltry scuba kit, if that's to be the case; and without laptop and dive computers and, sadly enough, thousand dollar phones, were it not for Asian imports . . .

I hadn't realized that everything, that we have on hand, must pass some ideological litmus test, before use.

There is a pervasive, yet false, belief that things made in China are typically bad quality. Having dealt with them a lot, I know that you get exactly what you spec and QA with a good firm regardless of location. That could be cheap junk grade tools or very expensive finely machined instruments. And finely machined instruments are expensive even when they are made in China.

Commercial/Industrial electrician here. My take on screwdriver-type bits is that they are disposable. In other words, just buy cheap ones and if you need to abuse them and they break, just replace them. That said, even ones of moderately cheap quality (DeWalt, Milwuakee, etc), if you don't abuse them they last a long long time. And just another little opinion, a full kit like the one in the original photo may be overkill; you may hardly or never use the majority of the pieces. A standard kit of actual screwdrivers may suit your needs. Greenlee and Klein Tools are safe bets. I use Wera. Knipex for wrenches, pliers, etc.

Snap-on is the Rolex of US-made tools. Extremely high quality, but you pay for every bit of that quality and an extra premium for the name.

I couldn't afford their wrenches when I was younger, so I settled for Craftsman (which were still US made and very good quality). But I did pay up for a ratcheting screwdriver. It's been 30 years and it's still a joy to use.

:rolleyes:

So you have or haven't used the bit set?

While you cant go wrong with the quailty brands you'll pay for it. If you're just looking for something still cheap but better than the mild steel rubbish bits that usually come with the cheap sets, then the search term is 's2' which is a better grade of steel. Not sure if they really are s2 steel but certainly a step up. In short, search amazon or ebay for 'screwdriver bits s2'

Snap on has the best screwdrivers in the biz. (Period)

I have a bunch of WIHA drivers and Allen keys, out of Germany, that have stood the test of time; and use them exclusively for regulator maintenance . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom