Cabo Pulmo or PDC for bull sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which would be better for bull shark encounters? I was thinking Dec / Jan / Feb time frame.

I cannot comment on the timeframe, but can comment on the relative experience.

At PDC you get in a boat and go out to a buoy, drop down to a sand flat and wait for Bull Sharks who have been fed at that spot to show up for a handout. I know not all ops that do that dive are involved in the feeding but all benefit.

At Cabo Pulmo, first you have the experience of getting there, and watching the unique way they launch the dive boats. Next, the Bull Sharks swarm around the remains of a sunken trawler, which also provides cover for a number of other species of fish, among them a Golden Grouper who hangs out there.

If you have a choice, go to Cabo Pulmo.

This was from last November in Cabo Pulmo

That was not at ALL my experience in Cabo Pulmo October 2 years ago. The dive sites were luck-of-the-draw, so even though I went twice, I never got to see the Boiler, which was the spot I really wanted to see. We did 2 bull shark dives, but they were spent drifting down a deep ridge. You could occasionally see a shadow of a shark at the edge of viz below you. I would have been stoked to have the experience in your video.

That was not at ALL my experience in Cabo Pulmo October 2 years ago. The dive sites were luck-of-the-draw, so even though I went twice, I never got to see the Boiler, which was the spot I really wanted to see. We did 2 bull shark dives, but they were spent drifting down a deep ridge. You could occasionally see a shadow of a shark at the edge of viz below you. I would have been stoked to have the experience in your video.

We went in November. Our dive shop (Manta out of Cabo) warned us about the limits on dives on certain sites imposed due to the marine park designation.

We went early enough in the week that the trawler site was still open.

It was pure luck for us. We dove three days in a row, and El Vencedor was supposed to be dive one on Day 2. We showed up at 7am ready to go, but our DM told us we were waiting on a new girl in the group. She strolled in 45 minutes late and didn't seem to give a ****. Because of her, we missed both of our dive site slots and had to do two sites that were pretty boring and I don't ever want to dive again.

After the dive, we told our DM that tomorrow was our last day, we expected to dive El Vencedor tomorrow, and if they couldn't arrange that or if they forced us to wait on another diver, we were walking to another shop and they weren't getting paid. Money talks, and the DM assured us we would dive El Vencedor on Day 3 and we wouldn't be waiting more than 5 minutes for any late divers.

So Day 3 was the Jack ball and El Vencedor, which was pretty epic. No idea how things went for the Day 2 group. We'll be back down there in 2 weeks and hope the bull sharks are back!

There were a bunch of dolphins circling the ball and snacking.

Back
Top Bottom