DIR- GUE Input and Advice on my GUE Training Path and GUE Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A tip... I normally reserve my dive for fun and my ascents for training. This has two purposes. It keeps the ascent focused. And it slows the ascent. Make a deal with your buddy. All fun and games until ascent. Then at 15m you do ex an s-drill. At 12, you swap masks. At 9 you can have your buddy "surprise" you with a (simulated) problem. At 6m you inflate a buoy. When you get to doubles you can have an instructor show you valvedrills and then that would be incorporated as well.
This way your diving can be both practice and fun. It can be challenging to get buddies if your sole focus is practice. But mose people will live through an s-drill or a basic 5 on ascent.

Heya Octohelm, I'm really happy to see such drive and passion and I can relate! While I'm now a bit of a dinosaur I started diving also at a very young age and couldn't wait to get certified, and go into the wild blue yonder.

I'm impressed that you've done your homework, and already have an idea of how to proceed within the GUE curriculum. You're living close to some amazing diving (I've been there once and I loved it) so there is real potential for loads of fun!

So my 2 cents of advice:

- Diving doubles: I'll go against your local GUE instructor here, but your end goal seems to be technical diving, that's done with double sets or rebreathers. Yes diving doubles adds a little bit of complexity (and weight!), it also adds a more stable diving platform (compared to diving a single). The big trick with fundies is being in tune with your gear, being used to it. If you step into a fundies with a new drysuit you've never dived and a doubleset your not used to... you are not going to have a GOOD TIME :wink:

So yes start diving with a (small) double set, but ask a mentor to give you some advice.

- Prepping for fundies: Don't over practice!! The origins of fundies is a workshop to improve your basic diving skills. If you are spending hours and hours already practicing these skills before you miss out on part what fundies is about. Plus you might be learning things you need to unlearn later, because you are missing details. (no critique to your instructor/tech1 buddy). I understand that you have no access to the sea at this moment (farther away and too cold at this moment), but maybe there are some other spots where you could already dive, without having to hit the pool? In my view the people who pass fundies with a tech rating, have been diving a lot (not practicing a lot... there is a difference), know their gear, and have good awareness (which comes from diving).

- Rec1, Rec2, Rec3, T1, etc: Rec1 and also 2 are amazing courses!! But you are already a diver, . Unless rec 2 gives you significant in water time that you otherwise wouldn't get, I would skip those and just dive, dive, dive... I mean you are getting a new drysuit, that's super cool just dive the **** out of it, get to use it and know it :wink: Aim for Fundies. The same after fundies, you'll get a lot of input from your instructor and will know what parts you need to improve on and practice on (even if you get a tech pass straight away), so just keep diving (with a little bit of practice mixed in between). I don't believe in Rec 3, for T1 it's sufficient just to have your basic skills covered in fundies set in stone. If those are good and you've dived a bunch you are good to go (same goes for all other courses, if you do T2 just make sure your basic skills are good and you've done a bunch of T1 dives, C1, C2 all the same).

- Progression into tech and cave and whatnot! I understand the focus on progression (you are new to diving), but don't focus too much on the technicality of courses and progression. I know quite a bunch of "technical" divers with full cave / full trimix certs that are just laying around somewhere, because they are not doing the dives. They focused on getting the certs, but didn't know why they needed them!!

You need to find out what you LOVE about diving and live in general! Not an easy question and it constantly changes, but you should always keep that in the back of your mind, what do I love about doing this, and pursue that! It's very personal but you need to find that. Why do you want a T1? What do you want to do with it?

Everybody who responds here, has many many dives under his/her belt... they do it because they probably just love being underwater, the simple fact of diving! But most also because they are passionate about something and incorporate this into their diving. Whether that is teaching others, mentoring others, could be video or photo, could be 3D modelling, could be organising and working together on diving projects, could be the history behind a wreck, geology, writing articles and getting published, cleaning ghost nets from the seabed, ... the certificat or "diving level" is just a means to an end!

This makes GUE special, in my opinion it's not the high level of instruction... it's the fact that it brings people together who on the whole just love diving, but also love doing something within that diving hobby. A couple of years ago I was talking to an underwater archeologist who told us that it's very hard to 3D ships underwater in the north sea because vis is bad and there is a lot of particle matte rin the water. We got a bunch of divers together, got permission from the government to dive this protected wreck, and just started talking, planning and then diving. In the end after more than 120 hours on the wreck we managed to 3D it, get loads of pictures, we managed to discover some part of its history not yet known, we got published, we made a small documentary, we got on tv... this not with all superhero divers... no the majority were "just" divers with a fundies cert! (Westhinder)

Keep us posted on how you do... really interested!

Cheers

Hiya beester!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to put together such a thoughtful and thorough reply!

I personally want to get to doubles soon, as I see myself diving them more than in a single cylinder. I'm not super sure about why he wants me to do the 100 dives, but I remain open to the prospect. I'd much prefer doing the 100 in doubles though. I try to take a practice what you play approach, so that would mean that I would be in doubles. Considering that I will be taking fundies in the near future (next month or two), and if I was to take in a twinset, then I should really get going on the transition to them. If I was to take it in a single cylinder, then I should stick with that.

I will check in with my instructor and my GUE instructor again to see what they think about that as well. I might just skip Rec 2, but get more time in doubles before Fundies. None of my plan is concrete yet, so I still have some time to figure out what I want to do and when I want to do it. I will get back on you about what they say!

I like how you make a distinction between practicing a lot and diving a lot. I got my DUI in today, and I'm heading down to Monterey for at least two, but hopefully three or four dives on Sunday November 1st, so that should be great to get wet again. I'm also heading down to Monterey on the 11th as well. I really want to take what I have learned and put it into practice in the ocean.

You ask why I wan to take T1 and what I want to do with it. Very good question!

I want to take T1, for a few reasons, with the first one being to better myself as a diver. It seems like a big step forward in terms of skills and discipline. The better diver I am, the more I can actually enjoy the diving that I'm doing. With (successful) completion of T1, I'd still putter around reefs at 30 feet, but I would also know that I have the training of T1 that allows me to do more. That peace of mind seems very nice. That's not to say that I should get complacent, because complacency kills, but that the confidence in myself knowing that I can do an S-Drill while on a deco stop while not coming out of trim. I think the benefit of me being a better diver would have an impact on all dives that I do.

As to what I want to do with T1, I want to just dive to see cool things. If that means seeing an amazing kelp forest at 20 feet or diving on a wreck at 160, T1 allows me to do more and to see more. And hey, the whole reason we are down here, is to see some cool stuff and to have some fun while doing it!

Lastly, I will keep you all in the loop about what I am doing. I'd love to get continual feedback from this phenomonal community, so thank you all!

Thank you so much, beester!

P.S. Your name reminded me of Beemster, a cheese company from the Netherlands!
Beemster Cheese

Also, I will reply to everyone else tomorrow! I'm off to bed here!

Respectfully,

OctoHelm

Personally, I would dive as much as possible in whatever rig you will use in the Fundies class. If you are diving in order to prepare for that, then that's what you should prepare for. If you know you're doing it in singles, then dive singles as much as possible. That way, you will get as much preparation as possible. If your end goal is T1 or C1, then I would skip Rec 2 and do doubles primer and then just dive doubles as much as possible. Then do a tech pass upgrade class whenever you're ready.

Hello seeker242!

That has been my plan really. I'm just figuring out whether I want to get into doubles now and dive them until fundies, or to stay on a single cylinder. I'm just trying to get out as much as I can now.

A tip... I normally reserve my dive for fun and my ascents for training. This has two purposes. It keeps the ascent focused. And it slows the ascent. Make a deal with your buddy. All fun and games until ascent. Then at 15m you do ex an s-drill. At 12, you swap masks. At 9 you can have your buddy "surprise" you with a (simulated) problem. At 6m you inflate a buoy. When you get to doubles you can have an instructor show you valvedrills and then that would be incorporated as well.
This way your diving can be both practice and fun. It can be challenging to get buddies if your sole focus is practice. But mose people will live through an s-drill or a basic 5 on ascent.

Hello again Imla!!

I like the idea of practicing skills while on the ascent. It seems like a great mix of fun and working on skills. Thanks for that ideal! I really like that! When I head to Monterey, I'll be sure to incorporate that into my dive!

Thank you both for replying!

Respectfully,

OctoHelm

My 2psi:
1) Do fundies in a single.
2) Do 50+ more single dives and dial in all those fundies skills in that single tank, try to avoid pool work unless its stormy and your ocean and lake tahoe sites etc are no goes. Expand your buddy list, try lots of charters, get as wide a spectrum of experience as you can, boat, shore, norcal, socal, oregon, tahoe, anywhere you can.
3) Set up some doubles a year from now. Possibly do a doubles primer or just get some mentoring, expand your buddy list (again) and try to learn from them outside of courses.
4) Add a tech pass & T1 sometime in the future but dont plan that out until much closer. The T1 course on your 18th birthday concept is problematic to me, you are not in a rush, especially not for a card.

You're all full of exuberant plans right now, spend your time and money on actual diving for now. T1 will be there.

I am not "a bit jealous". I am not "jealous".

I am terribly jealous! It took me 12 years more than you to get to your point.

One small thing; expanding your horizons is a very good point, just don't get obsessed with goals and training. Enjoy the journey. But I am sure you are already doing it :wink: )

Good luck!

****, I wish I'd started when I was 16. I didn't get the bug until I was in my late 20s, and I'm grateful to have a solid 25-30 years of cave/technical diving ahead of me if I can stay healthy. You potentially have 40+ years to look forward to. So there's absolutely no rush whatsoever. Take some time to enjoy and get comfortable in that new drysuit. A set of double 50s will be a blast to play around with and learn doubles diving, but the reality is, you're gonna need to learn to dive large steels (104s/108s/130s) at some point, especially if you want to get into cave diving. For T1, 80s will be fine. So practice in those if you're comfortable with them (though I'd argue 108s are going to be much more pleasant in water with a drysuit and thick undergarments), but the big steels are coming eventually. I agree with most of the rest of the advice you've been given. Nothing wrong with just doing fundies single tank. If you've got a bunch of time before the class, there's also nothing wrong with doing it in doubles the first time. Just make sure you've given yourself plenty of time to get comfortable on them. Enjoy! Hope to see you around cave country someday.

@OctoHelm

Reading your posts is super thrilling. Seeing that you're 16 and already solidly on the GUE path is just awesome. I also wish I had gone down that path earlier instead of doing it in my late 20's. The advice you've gotten so far has been pretty excellent and I see that you've already been contacted by Mer Tanguay. She is my instructor and she reached out to me the same way she reached out to you. Go with that! She is one of the best. Looking at your goals, they're slightly different than mine but I can imagine what I'd do if I wanted to do T1 first instead of C1. I would go either double 80's or double 100's with an al80 stage for deco. I disagree with some previous commenters saying that you should practice in a wetsuit and single for fundies. I think you SHOULD absolutely do Fundies but you should begin with the end in mind: go in a drysuit, doubles and can light. I wish I had done that. Do not go expecting a Tech Pass. It probably wont happen. You can upgrade to that. But definitely go to fundies in tech configuration because you'll get the best instruction in that configuration at fundies.

(I did Fundies in a wetsuit and single tank, got a Rec Pass and then later bought a drysuit/doubles/can light and upgraded to a Tech Pass later. I'm now preparing for Cave 1).

Good luck and keep us updated!

What configuration are you doing fundies in?

I'm not really sure yet. That was one of the things I wanted to get input on. I'm still debating if I want to shoot for my tech pass from the get go, or to take fundies sooner and get a rec pass and then go to rec 2, with doubles. That's the million dollar question.

As of now, I think I will take it in doubles, but this is subject to change as I grow as a diver. I will keep you in the loop!

My 2psi:
1) Do fundies in a single.
2) Do 50+ more single dives and dial in all those fundies skills in that single tank, try to avoid pool work unless its stormy and your ocean and lake tahoe sites etc are no goes. Expand your buddy list, try lots of charters, get as wide a spectrum of experience as you can, boat, shore, norcal, socal, oregon, tahoe, anywhere you can.
3) Set up some doubles a year from now. Possibly do a doubles primer or just get some mentoring, expand your buddy list (again) and try to learn from them outside of courses.
4) Add a tech pass & T1 sometime in the future but dont plan that out until much closer. The T1 course on your 18th birthday concept is problematic to me, you are not in a rush, especially not for a card.

You're all full of exuberant plans right now, spend your time and money on actual diving for now. T1 will be there.

Hello rjack321,

I like how you mention that I should expand my buddy list and to get as much experience in a variety of settings as I can. Going forward, I do like that plan. Lake Tahoe sounds very interesting, and I will definitely look into that. As with diving in socal, we are heading to Malibu for thanksgiving break, and so we are working on getting some dives off of there. It should be good and I'm looking forward to it. In the near future, I'm heading down to Monterey next weekend, and I'm super stoked for that. I'm hoping to join their local dive club and to try to dive weekly in Monterey. I will also look at boat charters as well.

I wasn't planning on taking T1 on my birthday per se. I'm thinking that I could take it over my winter break here in Monterey, depending on how scheduling works out, I think I would take it then. Now, with that said, T1 is a long ways away, and everything is subject to change.

I really want to get to T1, but I also need to remember that there are so many good experiences waiting for me along the journey to T1. I look forward to getting better as a diver, and to making some great memories!

Thank you for replying!

I am not "a bit jealous". I am not "jealous".

I am terribly jealous! It took me 12 years more than you to get to your point.

One small thing; expanding your horizons is a very good point, just don't get obsessed with goals and training. Enjoy the journey. But I am sure you are already doing it :wink: )

Good luck!

Hiya ginti!

Even when I'm in the pool, I enjoy diving, although diving in the sea is much more interesting. Diving in Monterey last month was good, albeit pretty cold. I really am looking forward to getting back in the sea next week, and it's always nice to have something to look forward to! :)

****, I wish I'd started when I was 16. I didn't get the bug until I was in my late 20s, and I'm grateful to have a solid 25-30 years of cave/technical diving ahead of me if I can stay healthy. You potentially have 40+ years to look forward to. So there's absolutely no rush whatsoever. Take some time to enjoy and get comfortable in that new drysuit. A set of double 50s will be a blast to play around with and learn doubles diving, but the reality is, you're gonna need to learn to dive large steels (104s/108s/130s) at some point, especially if you want to get into cave diving. For T1, 80s will be fine. So practice in those if you're comfortable with them (though I'd argue 108s are going to be much more pleasant in water with a drysuit and thick undergarments), but the big steels are coming eventually. I agree with most of the rest of the advice you've been given. Nothing wrong with just doing fundies single tank. If you've got a bunch of time before the class, there's also nothing wrong with doing it in doubles the first time. Just make sure you've given yourself plenty of time to get comfortable on them. Enjoy! Hope to see you around cave country someday.

Hello helodriver87!

Do you drive helos? If you do, you have a fun job, a very fun job! :)

I will ask about bigger steel cylinders. If I am going to end up there, might as well start with the end in mind. I have a pretty small frame and am pretty ok on my gas, so hopefully it stays that way.

My instructor said that most people are on 80's for T1. I have the option of taking it now in a single, or taking it later in doubles. I will make a note to run over this with my instructor on Wednesday. After T1, I do think I will look at C1. I also have to remind myself that I just need to keep diving! I will get there in due time. I guess whether I take it in a single or doubles is a function of when the next fundies class is. Time will tell!

Thank you so much for the advice!

@OctoHelm

Reading your posts is super thrilling. Seeing that you're 16 and already solidly on the GUE path is just awesome. I also wish I had gone down that path earlier instead of doing it in my late 20's. The advice you've gotten so far has been pretty excellent and I see that you've already been contacted by Mer Tanguay. She is my instructor and she reached out to me the same way she reached out to you. Go with that! She is one of the best. Looking at your goals, they're slightly different than mine but I can imagine what I'd do if I wanted to do T1 first instead of C1. I would go either double 80's or double 100's with an al80 stage for deco. I disagree with some previous commenters saying that you should practice in a wetsuit and single for fundies. I think you SHOULD absolutely do Fundies but you should begin with the end in mind: go in a drysuit, doubles and can light. I wish I had done that. Do not go expecting a Tech Pass. It probably wont happen. You can upgrade to that. But definitely go to fundies in tech configuration because you'll get the best instruction in that configuration at fundies.

(I did Fundies in a wetsuit and single tank, got a Rec Pass and then later bought a drysuit/doubles/can light and upgraded to a Tech Pass later. I'm now preparing for Cave 1).

Good luck and keep us updated!

Good evening PullYourselfTogetherMan,

I like how you mention starting with the end goal in mind. I am about as bony as they get, so I am pretty cold all the time. My DUI came in Friday, and I'm going to the pool for one dive to get used to it and then I'm off to Monterey. I might as well get the practice with the kit I will be on for T1. On the topic of gear, I think I will be on 80's. With regards to the can light, I am conflicted, I might get a cheap can light that works, or I might get a LM, or I might go all out, get another job over the summer and get a UWLD can light. Still trying to figure that out.

My instructor has a "practice what you play" approach, and I do too. There's no point for me to get dialed in a single, when I will end up on, and do a majority, if not all of my dives in doubles. It might be kind of ridiculous taking 80's or 100's out on a recreational dive to 30 feet, but hey, more gas is always good.

I want to get onto doubles, but also don't know when the time is right for me to do that. I'm thinking once I get my hover nailed, that it might be the right time. I remain unsure on when the time is really right. I can't wait to be on them though!!

Also, managing expectations, as you mention, is really important. I might get a rec pass, but I have options if I get a rec pass too. I could go to rec 2, or I could take it again within the six months. I guess this is another example of what time will tell. Might as well work to become the best diver I can and when fundies rolls around, take it and grab it by the horns and see how I do. If I get a tech pass, great! If I get a rec pass, great! I still have options. I should shoot for the tech pass, but **** happens.

One benefit of rec 2 which I may have not mentioned, is that it gets me in to the GUE . The depth for the class is 100 feet, and I think my AOW gets me to 100 feet too, but the extra training is useful. I can also take rec 2 now, whereas with T1 I need to wait until I turn 18.

I plan to post in this thread what my instructor says about the plan that we have in place, and to keep you all updated!

Thank you so much for your very valuable feedback here, it does mean a lot to me!

Thank you all, this has been useful beyond words!

Respectfully,

OctoHelm

Here is my advice.

Take fundies now, or at least as soon as possible. Stop trying to prepare for fundies, and just take the class.

Don't worry about T1, when you're ready, you'll be ready. The 100 dives is an absolute minimum. Make sure you are in a position to be able to do a decent number of T1 dives after the class (financially, and logistically) before taking the class. It's easy to forget what you were taught if you don't practice it afterwards, and practice post T1 is doing T1 dives.

HTH
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom