Compass failure/accuracy in 3 slot console.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scottsfire

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is any one having issues with their compass accuracy when housed in a 3 gauge console?

The reason I ask is because I saw one report online (video) of a dive shop instructor holding a Aqua Lung compass puck affecting the accuracy in the Aqua Lung 3 slot console. It appears the depth gauge is causing the compass to rotate towards it almost 180 degrees.

Is this a depth gauge thing OR is it because its in the console next to the other gauges?

Thoughts?

I have consoles where the computer is mounted nearly back to back with the puck computer. I have to buy stainless batteries or the computer battery affects the compass.

Unfortunately it is common to have problems with a compass in a console due to electromagnetic interference. I have to mount my compass on the opposite arm to avoid interference with my wrist computer.

And if you want to see something really ugly, find someone who put a magnetic console retainer on.
Electronic compass is generally more sensitive than a mechanical one as well.

I don't think I have ever seen a battery option of "stainless steel case"
Even then not all stainless steel is non-magnetic.

I don't think I have ever seen a battery option of "stainless steel case"
Even then not all stainless steel is non-magnetic.
They are not completely nonmagnetic, but enough so the compass works correctly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom