Bolt snaps for cold water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is it common for people who dive in cold waters to use larger bolt snaps for their decompression stages? I use the standard bolt snaps on all my decompression bottles and while clipping and unclipping the stages seems quite simple without gloves in warm waters, try that with thick, cold water wet gloves and it may take some practice... or bigger bolt snaps on the deco bottle.

Yes we use big ones with huge rings that you can fit a gloved finger through. Like this piranhadivemfg.com/item/1.25-Swivel-Bolt-Snap-SS-Special-Design-Thin-Eye-12603 but it still takes some practice with thick gloves.

I wish someone would make some better boltsnaps specifically for tech diving. Features could include a large but snag-resistant tab, easily flushable spring area, and maybe a threaded locking collar to prevent it opening unintentionally. Kind of a tricky thing to DIY prototype though.

Yes we use big ones with huge rings that you can fit a gloved finger through. Like this piranhadivemfg.com/item/1.25-Swivel-Bolt-Snap-SS-Special-Design-Thin-Eye-12603 but it still takes some practice with thick gloves.

I wish someone would make some better boltsnaps specifically for tech diving. Features could include a large but snag-resistant tab, easily flushable spring area, and maybe a threaded locking collar to prevent it opening unintentionally. Kind of a tricky thing to DIY prototype though.

My concern here is that if you have to pass the bottle to your buddy, then everyone would have to be on the same page as to what bolt snaps are to be used. Someone passing me a bottle with standard bolt snaps would make it difficult to clip specially if I have not practiced with those.

Have you seen the Xdeep boltsnaps?

http://www.xdeep.eu/nx-series-bolt-snaps-scuba-pr-140.html

Not everything you asked for, but...

My concern here is that if you have to pass the bottle to your buddy, then everyone would have to be on the same page as to what bolt snaps are to be used. Someone passing me a bottle with standard bolt snaps would make it difficult to clip specially if I have not practiced with those.

Practice with the L snaps until you are proficient. The XL are just gravy

But really as long as you can fit your gloved finger through the ring it doesn't matter.

I've just ordered these so I've had no hands on yet but everyone raves about them. They're not cheap though.
6CB3CCF8-C73A-4491-BEE2-CA7EDBF2725D.jpeg

I found that, with a bit of practice, I could handle regular bolt snaps with dry gloves about as well as with my bare hands. It was pretty rough in the beginning, though... But then one day - POOF! - no trouble handling regular bolt snaps with dry gloves.

I definitely use large bolt snaps and double enders, I have several of the xdeep ones and they are easy to manipulate they feel “light” in the hands......

big bolt snaps have a benefit of being easy to see and predict how they move (negative) and easy to grab ahold of.....

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom