Filling hose with quick disconnect ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Externet

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all.
These filling hoses are for other application, but work at the same high pressure and feature a miniature quick disconnect fitting.

Are these quick disconnect fittings really rated for 4000+ psi ? Have never seen them that small at hardware stores...
61PSKILd92L._AC_SX425_.jpg

PCP-Paintball-High-Pressure-Connector-Female-Fill-Hose-Charging-Fitting-8MM-Female-Quick-Disconnect-Thread-M10.jpg

They are the same as the ones for buoyancy compensator low pressure port inflation; are they ?

Top picture looks like a paintball filler.

LP nipples are rated at about 200psi

HP QDs for pressure washers are rated at 5000psi. They look similar to your bottom picture. If it doesn't say what its rated to, dont bother. A flailing ruptured fill hose can kill you.

There's a lot of paintball stuff with surprisingly high ratings. After buying a zeagle pony setup which uses the paintball style disconnects for filling I had to do a bunch of digging to find a trans-fill solution. My general conclusion was if the products do what they are rated for you have plenty of headroom - my concern was whether all these products from arbitrary sources would actually meet their ratings. So far no issues, but I still try to turn away and wrap the hoses and connections with something that would absorb some energy if there was a failure.

(There also seemed to be a huge array of dimensions and thread sizes... check carefully before purchase that it will part A will actually connect with part B)

I know the paintball guys use those fittings to remote mount their 4500 psi composite tanks, and we don't hear of a rash of failures there. And I expect they are rougher on them than we would be.

Just food for thought,

James

that is most definitely NOT a bc inflator, and the only quick disconnects rated for high pressure you will see in the hardware stores are for pressure washers.

Swagelok and Parker both make proper tiny quick disconnects, but the Swagelok QF4 is standard with Bauer and several other manufacturers

I've got and use Parker BST2, Swagelok QF4, and some Dixon fittings. They all work well. The Parker fittings are about $15 for a male and female set, the Dixons are $11, the Swageloks are around $75. Dixons and Parker are compatable, the swagelok doesnt mate with the others

These are the "standard" QD used in most transfill whips because the 1/4" size are rated 5000+ psi and have straight through no convoluted valve passages which are less optimal for O2 use. Same as most pressure washer fittings
McMaster-Carr

That particular one you have is a Snap-tite, which I used to get from Snap-tite, but now seem to come from Parker. I use them because the Navy uses them for Oxygen, nitrox, helium, and air to 5000 PSI. Get the viton o-rings for oxygen and nitrox service. And always stainless or plated steel for high pressure service.

I only used Parker QDs. What a PITA. All of my high-pressure leaks always occurred at QDs, so I got rid of as many QDs and possible. If you need a QD then use one -- but if it's not mandatory then avoid QDs like the plague.

Back
Top Bottom