Inflating DSMB from QD hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A trick that was taught to me by a pretty awesome diver:

Get an open bottom SMB.
Dump your wing into the SMB.
Let it fly!

Especially for those of us on breathers, this works awesome!
There OK until they hit the surface, fall over and half the contents flow out. I used one like that for a few years before getting one with a sealed bottom.

When inflating my very large DSMB I was using my drysuit hose which is on the left side..

But yesterday while practising at the lake with a stage cylinder, I noticed that the stage was in the way of the hose.

Is it more common or better to use your wing QD hose for this generally ? I guess I could also have a QD hose on the stage but I was wondering if there was a general accepted practice ?
I'm guessing you aren't using a suit gas bottle? (yet? or ever?)

The normal thing would be to a have a suit gas bottle and a short drysuit hose from that. Then the drysuit hose which is leftover on your left post is run down just behind your spg. Reach back there and pull it forward on top of all your stage bottles, inflate your 6ft SMB from a significant depth 20m+ so it doesn't require much gas to be full at the surface.

If you are already at a shallow stop then its too late to be shooting giant SMBs, plus what do you need it for? In the course of a 3-5min safety stop you won't go THAT far. Shooting big SMBs on your ascent is for when you have a long deco obligation and you can move a long long way from the boat in 45-60mins+.

Don't go disconnecting your wing.

If you are already at a shallow stop then its too late to be shooting giant SMBs, plus what do you need it for? In the course of a 3-5min safety stop you won't go THAT far. Shooting big SMBs on your ascent is for when you have a long deco obligation and you can move a long long way from the boat in 45-60mins+.
It’s easy to drift long distances in the U.K. For example, coming off the Shona, in the Sound of Mull, slack can go from 0.1knt to 5knt in less than 5 minutes. Be a minute or two late leaving the wreck and you will by 1 or 2 miles up, or down, the Sound by the time you surface.

It’s easy to drift long distances in the U.K. For example, coming off the Shona, in the Sound of Mull, slack can go from 0.1knt to 5knt in less than 5 minutes. Be a minute or two late leaving the wreck and you will by 1 or 2 miles up, or down, the Sound by the time you surface.
5mins at 2knots is about 1,000ft or a little less than a quarter mile away (from the boat). But this assumes the boat is anchored. In either case (which I already said) I would shoot a big SMB from near the bottom.

Don't go doing a free ascent up to 15ft then expect to shoot a 6ft SMB. It doesn't work and its way too late. Also don't go shooting baby SMBs, drifting for long period of time beneath a tiny bag, and somehow expect the boat to find you later when you finally surface and only then shoot the 6ft bag.

A) No currents
Just go up, shoot baby SMB near surface so the boat doesn't run you over. Getting lost not a concern.

B) Lots-o-currents
Then shoot big SMB from the bottom or sometimes the first stop. Drift under big bag so they don't lose you.

When you are practicing in the lake you need to simulate dive type B not A

There OK until they hit the surface, fall over and half the contents flow out. I used one like that for a few years before getting one with a sealed bottom.

Not that hard to control. Plus some open bottom DSMBs have magnets in them to hold the bottom shut.

Not that hard to control. Plus some open bottom DSMBs have magnets in them to hold the bottom shut.
My 5' open bottom Edge-HOG has a duckbill valve in the conical open bottom that seals itself and won't dump at the surface. You can inflate it orally (bad idea at this size), with an inflator, or using your wing or auxiliary second stage.

I like my open bottom dsmb with a duck valve. On my last visit to Cozumel, the dive master showed me how to use both hands to hold the bottom open, turn my head and use a couple of exhales from my reg to inflate the BCD at depth. This was so much easier than trying to use my octo.

Get an open bottom SMB.
Let it fly!

At that point in the dive why do you have enough air in your wing to inflate a DSMB?

Get an open bottom SMB.
Let it fly!

Be ready to put new air in your wing as soon as you let go of the SMB!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom