Post-Conception Disaster: what you learned & will change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done California liveaboards since the Conception tragedy and will go again once they start running post Covid. For me, the diving opportunities at outer islands are too good to pass up (i have my own boat but LOBs have greater range and go places with greater safety than i can on my boat).

In 50 years of boat operations there was one accident even close to this magnitude. Horrific yes, but truely unprecedented. Crews are hyper vigilant now and a repeat accident seems very unlikely (knock knock).

Bad things happen ... i could die on a dive, i could die in a wreck driving to the boat, i could die of a heart attack going to fetch something from the garage like my 50 year old neighbor last month. I will take my chances and go on multiday trips.

I just hope there are enough divers like me to keep California liveaboards economically viable. Losing access to some of the most incredible diving in the world would be another tragedy.

I've done LOBs in the Caribbean, Mexican west coast, Indo, and S. Pacific. I've never been on one that didn't have multiple, easy, unobstructed access points to/from below deck areas to different areas of the ship. They have all had individual cabin/stateroom sleeping quarters and a relatively moderate number of divers for the size of the vessel. They all had a night watch. My point is not all LOBs are the same. It's certainly an individuals right not to partake in the LOB experience, but IMHO it's a mistake to paint all LOBs with the same broad brush based on the Conception. I've enjoyed some of my best diving and certainly best diving experiences (comradery, scenery, beautiful night skies, etc.) aboard LOBs. I hope to enjoy more in the future. While I rarely travel with a camera anymore, I will pay closer attention to charging facilities and policies. Diving, the ocean, boats, and life can all be hazardous. I've found it's best to research, educate, and perform a bit of personal risk analysis before climbing aboard. :) All IMHO, YMMV.

This pains me more than I can describe. Diving on the Conception and Vision are the best overall experiences I have ever had diving. Waking, having a cup of coffee and stepping off onto Farnsworth are some of the best memories of my life. Unless you dive California, it’s hard to explain. My experiences on these boats starting in 95’ rival Sipadan, Hawaii, Roatan, Coz etc. in fact, I prefer them to the tourists and cattle boats hands down. And it was just a skip away to Santa Barbara and Brophy’s for some chowder and a beer as a start to four days in my happy place. Tri Tip by Mikey and a beer with friends gazing at the stars. :cheers: Chatting with Andre and Brit in the afternoon. Maybe no one understands what I means by this, but my god I miss it. I hope that someone can bring this experience back to us. It will be a tragedy that only some will understand what it means to lose this access to this wonderland. You dive it because you love it and love to share it with those that comprehend.

Apologies. This is horribly off topic. I will still go on LOBs but will scrutinize things more. I will take precautions but refuse to live in fear. That is a type of death itself. YMMV.

I have done California liveaboards since the Conception tragedy and will go again once they start running post Covid. For me, the diving opportunities at outer islands are too good to pass up (i have my own boat but LOBs have greater range and go places with greater safety than i can on my boat).

In 50 years of boat operations there was one accident even close to this magnitude. Horrific yes, but truely unprecedented. Crews are hyper vigilant now and a repeat accident seems very unlikely (knock knock).

Bad things happen ... i could die on a dive, i could die in a wreck driving to the boat, i could die of a heart attack going to fetch something from the garage like my 50 year old neighbor last month. I will take my chances and go on multiday trips.

I just hope there are enough divers like me to keep California liveaboards economically viable. Losing access to some of the most incredible diving in the world would be another tragedy.
You forgot Wave Dancer.

I've always made note of various ways out. I prefer to have a room by the stairs though that may be noisier.

I will be bringing my own alarm. I think it will be helpful at a number of places that I stay, not just the liveaboard.

And the go bag by my bed.

1) No overnight charging
2) Clear paths to safety
3) Crew review of fire safety equipment locations
3) Rehearsals by crew+passengers of emergency procedures.

Any LOB that doesn’t go over emergency procedures (just like prior to airplane flight, duh) doesn’t get my business.

I ask the hard questions before I book.

Inalienable right? No not really, but the liveaboard industry doesn't have an inalienable right to my money. If they want me to spend $2k or often more on their liveaboard they better have a safe way for me to charge my cameras, lights, and other batteries, if they don't you aren't seeing my money. And I am sure that many share my opinions.

Generally speaking, it hasn't been the source of power that was the issue with lithium battery fires, its been the charger or the batteries themselves.

1) No overnight charging
2) Clear paths to safety
3) Crew review of fire safety equipment locations
3) Rehearsals by crew+passengers of emergency procedures.

Any LOB that doesn’t go over emergency procedures (just like prior to airplane flight, duh) doesn’t get my business.

I ask the hard questions before I book.
Remember, you’re asking the “hard questions” of the office staff or a travel agent. What answer do you expect?

No more liveaboards for me and my buds. Easier to do land-based and I no longer need five dives a day. Safety is a secondary factor in our decision. I do believe that those companies will have to step up safety else they will not survive.

Back
Top Bottom