Should we put fork in DSS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried to be nice, helpful, and thoughtful in my last post, but man you just want to be entitled and let everyone know that you are sour about your gear situation....But what is anyone to do for you? At the end of the day nobody here owes you anything.

Are your hemorrhoids flaring today? Such hostility from behind a keyboard.

First of all, if you had read the post, there is nothing wrong with my wing, but thanks so much anyway for your "tip."

My point was not about "my gear", which is just fine, but was about DSS and their practices. I won't repeat this point, because I think most here are intelligent enough to get that point, even if you did not.

Let me give you a tip: Do not use "Your" when you mean "You're." Such as in "Your preaching to the choir."

What you mean to say is "You're preaching to the choir."

You're welcome.

Being single ply his wings were never especially repairable. If you poke a hole in yours aquaseal works fine.

I have three DSS wings. The one I've seen the inside of is not single ply. Can't say for certain with the others but I believe they also have urethane linings.

Tobin made a big deal out of offering rapid-turn repair service rather than installing zippers on the outer shell of the wings and offering replacement liners, as some other manufacturers have done. The fact that these wings are now effectively non-repairable is disappointing for me.

I am rethinking my use and patronage of other boutique manufacturers in light of what has happened with DSS.

First of all, if you had read the post, there is nothing wrong with my wing, but thanks so much anyway for your "tip."

My point was not about "my gear", which is just fine, but was about DSS and their practices. I won't repeat this point, because I think most here are intelligent enough to get that point, even if you did not.

Let me give you a tip: Do not use "Your" when you mean "You're." Such as in "Your preaching to the choir."

You're welcome.

Holy shite!!!

YOU'RE complaining about customer service that you don't even currently need!!! Based on your statements, one would infer that you have have made zero effort to reached out to Tobin to see what type of after sales service he is currently offering, because it is easier for you to whine about your non-existent issue here on SB. That is the epitome of shallow and entitled, and is part of the reason why Tobin has closed his shop...he got tired of dealing with your type of mentality.

Again, good luck to ya!!!

Oh, and thanks for the grammar lesson.

-Z

YOU'RE complaining about customer service that you don't even currently need!!! Based on your statements, one would infer that you have have made zero effort to reached out to Tobin to see what type of after sales service he is currently offering, because it is easier for you to whine about your non-existent issue here on SB. That is the epitome of shallow and entitled, and is part of the reason why Tobin has closed his shop...he got tired of dealing with your type of mentality.

Again, good luck to ya!!!

Oh, and thanks for the grammar lesson.

-Z

Anytime.

By all accounts, Tobin is out of business, and is therefore not offering any "after sales service." Or did you miss that, too?

Because that is the whole point.

You've called me entitled. Of course I never felt I was entitled to service in perpetuity. But on the other hand, everybody who purchased a DSS product is entitled to express their opinions about that product or service, pro or con, whether a blowhard like you agrees or not. Same with any consumer product. You may not agree, but who cares? No permission from you or other Tobin apologists is necessary. I think you are upset over this not because the opinion of some of us is different from yours, but because we have the audacity to express that opinion.

Not sure why you are defending Tobin, but you can be certain he would not reciprocate your loyalty.

The best takeaway from this thread is wing maintenance/prevention of pinch flats

If laying on the ground place your BP/W plate down
Be very careful of tank holders and dive boats were cylinders/gear stations are close together
Try and keep your wing inflated were possible
Try and keep clear of used fishing tackle

Any others?

You're welcome.

I am just wondering if, all this time, you have been referring to the DSS bp/w that you said you were the happy owner of back in your August 2016 post?

Because your earlier post on this thread would lead one to believe that you purchased your gear and then Tobin immediately popped smoke.

I could be mistaken, but I believe he moved sometime in 2018.

Of course, you could have purchased more gear from him around that time, but if not, your wing is going strong since at least 2016...be careful with it so you don't get a rupture or else you will be looking for a replacement.

Man, I can hardly imagine what your attitude would be if/when that happens. God help us all.

Cheers,
-Z

Tobin made a big deal out of offering rapid-turn repair service rather than installing zippers on the outer shell of the wings and offering replacement liners, as some other manufacturers have done. The fact that these wings are now effectively non-repairable is disappointing for me.

Yes, I recall this very claim.

@Ojai Diver Just take this as a lesson. You were/are whining. Everyone with a DSS wing is unhappy about DSS being shut down. I get. Everyone gets it. (Whining: complain in a peevish, self-pitying way. Urbandictionary: whining is a total buzzkill.)

But there is nothing useful to be gained by complaining to other divers about it. Stick to constructive discussion, such as the diver who recommended using Aquaseal on holes or the diver who pointed out VDH wings fit DSS plates. That's the way to go about it. Cheers!

The best takeaway from this thread is wing maintenance/prevention of pinch flats

If laying on the ground place your BP/W plate down
Be very careful of tank holders and dive boats were cylinders/gear stations are close together
Try and keep your wing inflated were possible
Try and keep clear of used fishing tackle

Any others?
Don't transport your wing attached to your plate. Plates and tanks are leading sources of pinch flats.
And double down on keeping your wing partly inflated as best as is possible.

@Ojai Diver
But there is nothing useful to be gained by complaining to other divers about it. Stick to constructive discussion, such as the diver who recommended using Aquaseal on holes or the diver who pointed out VDH wings fit DSS plates. That's the way to go about it. Cheers!

I think there is a place for constructive discussion of how those of us with DSS gear can make the most of it.

But the Scubaboard Community was quick to recommend DSS gear in the past and has been highly supportive of other boutique brands, among them HOG, VDH, the Freedom backplate, and Deep 6. I think it is fair to draw comparisons as these are similarly small operations and just as little is known about their future as was known with DSS. The situation with DSS makes it clear that ongoing service, parts, and support are not a given for any boutique maker. And I think that the Scubaboard Community should keep that in mind before steering people towards these brands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom