Your adventures with DIY regulator servicing ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Andy in Gap I'm pretty close to selling my Scubapro MK25 / S600 and switching to Deep6. I heard a lot of great things about them and really like the idea of being able to inspect, maintain, and fix my own regulators.

Do you think the transition to learning and working on them was easy? I read the manual, is the class worthwhile? Any other tipbits would be appreciated. Cheers
Working on the regs is relatively simple. Our class was taught by the owner/founder of Deep 6 who has many decades of experience in the regulator business. I think it was worth every penny to learn from him. The rebuild itself is nothing more than swapping out O-rings and doing some lubrication and cleaning. Cost of ownership with Deep 6 is much lower than with most other brands. Even if you decide to send them in for service, they turn them around quickly and charge a reasonable price. There are great regs that I would never own due to the cost of parts and the cost to get them serviced.

How many of you took the regulator rebuild class and found out that it was not worth your time, effort and money? I would love to hear about your journey into DIY. Thanks.

I did not find the regulator class too expensive, I liked that we went over "real world" vs "in the book". It might not be worth it if I had multiple different regulators.

I think I could of gotten by without the class, BUT I will say the class had some good insight and gave me the confidence to do it myself.

How many of you took the regulator rebuild class and found out that it was not worth your time, effort and money? I would love to hear about your journey into DIY. Thanks.

Taking reg courses was worth the while. I've also learned a great deal from a couple of experienced techs. Knowing what questions to ask will get you a long way. What also really helped was to work on several different types and brands of regs. I've learned a lot about the odd nuances, not taught in courses, that can occur.

The thing to remember is, no matter what course you take, it can't go over every single issue that has cropped up in the field. It was the same when I went through electronics school in the military. Training / schooling is worth it, gaining experience adds a great deal to your learning.

I've see many people take a course (regardless of what it was about) and ask nothing or participate half-arse. Get involved and ask questions.

Also, spend the money on the correct/appropriate tools; avoid using the wrong tool for the job. Some people have told me it isn't worth spending the money on something they are not going to be using enough to become proficient. Some people get caught up in the idea they can do it better than every technician out there. Yes, there are some techs that have not done a good job, but there are many more that do a great job.

I just figured out how to service our Sherwood's. No class, but I built and bought some tools and stock parts.

Also, spend the money on the correct/appropriate tools; avoid using the wrong tool for the job. Some people have told me it isn't worth spending the money on something they are not going to be using enough to become proficient.

IMG_2312.JPG

Having repaired or attempted to repair more than a few regulators which had been serviced -- or, more properly, savaged -- by jerry-rigged tools, I could not agree more. The aspiring tech will be doing no-one any favors, least of all themselves, if a regulator becomes damaged beyond repair -- which is not too difficult to do -- by their ham-handed efforts; or by cutting corners (see photo).

Get a few of the manufacturer's proprietary tools, if available; and / or deal with a shop like Scuba Clinic Tools, whose after-market, less-expensive, brand-specific tools, I frequently carry in travel "save-a-dive" kits, leaving the more expensive tools, at home . . .

I’ve recently rebuilt a HOG Classic second and a D1 first. My only surprise was how easy it was

I became entirely self-taught after a LDS tried to kill me by leaving out the 2nd stage diaphragm of my reg they serviced. I don't feel comfortable working on other folks regs but have no problem working on my own. I haven't yet found a regulator I can't rebuild but I'm sure I don't know everything. Last month I rebuilt a 1956 DivAir double hose and a 2002 Atomic Aquatics B2 1st and 2nd. It is addictive. :)

I have attended technical service courses from Scubapro/Subgear, Aqualung/Apeks, Sherwood/Genesis and Cressi Sub.
To me not one was worth the time and money ( but you needed them to be able to get parts and Service Kits from them).
They all had been quite superficial and I found it pretty scary that guys, who couldn't differ a screw from a nut, after that were allowed not only to service their own equipment, but also equipment from others commercially.
Here in Europe there are rumors that Poseidon Courses are supposed to be more profound, preparing their technicians theoretically and practically better than other manufacturers, but I don't know if that is correct.
I'm sure that most technically inclined recreational divers are better off, when they use the possibilities the net is offering to service their own regs.......

I was trained in 1977 at the Scubapro factory here in Italy, at Casarza Ligure, where most SP regs are built.
Training was free, as I went there together a friend of me, Marco, who had just started a business as a diving shop, and I was there for becoming the trained technician of the shop.
At the time SP was producing just 2 first stage models (MK2 and MK5) and two second stage models (108 and 109).
The training was most about assembling and tuning NEW regs, in fact after explanations I was sent to the assembly line, and I had to assemble and tune a few new regs which were going to be sold. The only used reg which I serviced on that day was my own MK5+109. The training was not particularly deep, it was the same training they were giving to their workers before sending them to the assembly line. No theory, no "why".
However it was enough for understanding how the parts work together, which tools are to be used for dismounting and remounting, and which parts are to be mandatorily changed at each service, and which parts can simply be cleaned, inspected, and remounted if no fault is found.
At the time I was 18 years old and with very little experience, so I did find the training to be very useful.
People with more experience, and possibly with some technical training done at school or at the university, can easily service their regs without any formal training.
You just need:
1) proper tools
2) service manual
3) original parts to be replaced
All of them can be easily found on the Internet nowadays. In 1977, instead, the only way of accessing to these resources was through the official Scubapro network.

I thought I had reviewed the reg class I took. Actually, @CAPTAIN SINBAD, I believe it was closer to you then to me being in VA. I just read through it, all still holds true. I spent a little more on tools than I did the class, but I think it was still worth it. I also have some good pictures of everything if you ever go down the D6 road, let me know.

Review Deep 6 Regulator Service Class

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom