Handheld vs. Canister question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am looking primarily for night dives, at two different torches. Orcatorch D611 and Volador DF60 (I have this one currently from Amazon with free returns).

I was hooked on the D611, except for the price. I do not do a lot of night dives, truthfully not my thing. But I'm {hopefully} going on a LOB in Dec that will have nightly night dives. I use an Orcatorch d550 for my daytime light and probably will not add either of the above to my daytime dives.

I got the DF60 on prime day with a good discount with free return...so I grabbed it. It is bright in my house....and heavy...and bulky clipped with a boltsnap under my left arm (where the backup light should go).

I'm close to returning because of the bulkyness and getting the D611 (it will cost another USD 100 to do this and keep in mind this is for night dives primarily - if not only).

I've never dove with a canister light and am looking for advice on this...(as additional info - if it matters; I do try to dive as close as I feel comfortable to a DIR setup...so basically just a plain jane BP/W setup).
If you're doing a cave dive where many hours of runtime is just the ONLY way to go, then consider a cannister. If you're not then get a handheld. I own both but haven't used my can light in several years. With LED's and Lithium batteries, even cheap handheld lights are plenty bright and with sufficient runtime for any NDL dive.

@Kriet et al,
I just heard from a source closely associated with OrcaTorch/Odepro that they have discontinued the D611 model. They are steering people inquiring about it towards the Odepro WD70.

-Z

In an earlier post on this thread I described how I hold a torch and pasted a crappy picture culled from the internet as a visual aid. Here is a crappy picture of me on a recent dive holding the light as I described with the bolt snap clipped to the bungee of my computer mount:

121426458_10215177543506676_5585637486599116512_n.jpg

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom