Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually that wasn’t the cause when you enter gauge mode/apnea mode it isn’t a deco lockout that you can turn off. You must either set you’re watch 24 hours ahead or go through a process of connecting it to you’re PC to take the lockout out. I’m sure you can google “farming descent mk1 gauge lockout”

Garmin website “
After diving in gauge mode, the device can only be used in gauge or apnea mode for 24 hours. “
Under section notes Descent Mk1 - Dive Modes

But, why would you?

If you dived in Gauge/Apnea mode within the last 24 hours, then that means you potentially have inert gas still in your tissues that your computer doesn't know about. So, using it in Dive mode within 24 hours is not really safe.

I guess if you had set it to Apnea mode for some freediving, then (days later) forgot to change it to Dive mode, splashed (on scuba), it went into Dive mode, and you realized immediately and wanted to surface immediately and change it to the correct mode, that would be a reason. It sounds like you should make sure you don't do that. And if you do, it means you failed on your pre-dive checks to make sure you had the right breathing gas and conservatism programmed, so maybe you deserve to sit out for a day and think about things. :)

Yes and no... if you accidentally dive with gauge or apnea it locks you out 24hours. Had that happen to me before and I believed it was called deco lockout. I’ll send you that pm btw.

Ah ok I've never used gauge or apnea modes. I was told about this a while ago with the MK1 and tried it after making the computer go into deco, and then seeing if I could unlock it afterwards. This was with the computer in single-gas mode.

Tony

It does have a bunch of extra options but as a dive computer I much prefer my Perdix. The Mk1 would have been (and still could be if Garmin made an effort) equal to the Perdix as a dive computer.

Simple things like:
  • displaying SI on the dive mode face before the dive (like every other dive computer)
  • better handling of the start of dive determination (like my 2005 Citizen Cyberaqualand NX did perfectly)
  • Better deco information (I'd much prefer it telling me the exact deco commitment rather than a less than intuitive TTS)

Currently (I'm always changing my mind) my list for the mk1 would be:
  • Surfgf
  • User adjsutable low PPO2
  • Compass on the main dive screen
  • Wireless charging (obviously not happening)
Other than that I have been quite happy with it

For the garmin app:
  • Importable dive logs (i like the garmin dive apps)
  • Combinable dives
  • Auto calculation for SAC
  • Gear used and to remember gear used
  • Gear usage data stats
For the mk2 current wish list:
  • Surfgf
  • User adjustable low PPO2
  • Compass on the main dive screen
  • Wireless charging (obviously not happening)
  • Cheaper....
So IMHO Garmin isnt far off and who knows what the near future holds.

No. Well, not that I have seen. It just increments the Time To Surface.

Edit: According to this: Descent Mk1 - Viewing the Primary Gas Dive Data Screen it does. It certainly shows that for the safety stop. Perhaps it did show me this while I was actually doing a deco stop, but it did not show me what I'd have to do before I reached the deco stop.

It shows the Deco stop ceiling depth at the top right of the screen, the deco stop time in the bottom right and replaces NDL with TTS. So you know how long its going to take to get to the surface and where your next stop is and for how long. Otherwise you would be running blind with your current conservatism settings.

To me this seams reasonable data for what you would need. Might have just missed it and I know i miss ...stuff..all the time just ask my wife.

If you mess with deco planning on the Garmin It will run through the stops to give you an idea on where its going to stop you, which you can compare with your other computers.

Actually that wasn’t the cause when you enter gauge mode/apnea mode it isn’t a deco lockout that you can turn off. You must either set you’re watch 24 hours ahead or go through a process of connecting it to you’re PC to take the lockout out. I’m sure you can google “farming descent mk1 gauge lockout”

Garmin website “
After diving in gauge mode, the device can only be used in gauge or apnea mode for 24 hours. “
Under section notes Descent Mk1 - Dive Modes
i see now that i missed where you said that you were in Gauge mode and went along thinking along what we were talking about earlier, deco lockout. This would not be the first time I have misread something :whistling:

Yes and no... if you accidentally dive with gauge or apnea it locks you out 24hours. Had that happen to me before and I believed it was called deco lockout. I’ll send you that pm btw.

It should just say locked when you finish using gauge along with the warning that this will happen when you enter gauge. But "if" you really wanted to, this is a warning you can get past this a few ways, one of which is resetting the tissues on the watch. But this will reset all that data to 0 including surface interval but will not mess up the computer.

When I was playing with gauge mode and other things when I got the MK1 I noticed this. I personally disabled gauge mode after using it as I just don't see the need for me to have it currently.

I would be surprised if apnea functions similar and from my quick initial testing they didn't.
But this isn't something I have not started to use often like I had planned on.

I did also just check and apnea modes does not give a lockout warning if you use it currently.

I will gladly ask one of my 2 friends who had the failure. He is a TDI Trimix Instructor, with that being said I will get the full story from him. All I can remember when he last talked about it was that the deco stop was way too long and the peredix was correct. I know this person and I know their skills so I can certainly say that he switched gases on his computer. I can only remember one other thing and that was the peredix didn't do a deco lockout on him but the Garmin did and locked him out for a couple of days.

I still wonder about your two friends who experienced messed up deco times. Since malfunction of equipment does absolutely happen I surely hope they reported these instances to Garmin right away.

Though something that I think about is that people can/will miss things and blaming the gear happens even with the most experienced of people.

During my thousands of skydives i have personally witnessed some advanced skydivers overlooking or forgetting to check something that would be standard for any dive. Hell I have even looked past some things in skydiving...what I would consider ...well just careless, reckless and dumb.

However sometimes in some of these instances some people will blame the gear for their own lack of paying attention to or missing the details that they shouldn't have missed.

Now I am in no way implying that this is what happened to your friends and instead only stating it is ALWAYS possible even for the most advanced/well trained individual to have user error that goes sometimes unnoticed or sometimes the blame is passed off on the equipment.

Probably like most that have read what you previously stated are extremely interested in hearing the specifics and the entire story.

Yes, it works without having your phone with you. The phone is used initially to run the Garmin Connect app to add the credit card, and once added, Garmin Pay can be used without the phone. For security, you have to enter a 4-digit passcode to activate Garmin Pay. It seems to work wherever NFC payments are accepted.

Not to go too far down this rabbit hole but how is this secure? I have wondered this before... you put your code in once in Garmin Connect when you're setting it up and then it can be used without a code? What happens if someone steals your watch?? Do they now have the ability to charge purchases to your credit card / bank account??

:spend:

Not to go too far down this rabbit hole but how is this secure? I have wondered this before... you put your code in once in Garmin Connect when you're setting it up and then it can be used without a code? What happens if someone steals your watch?? Do they now have the ability to charge purchases to your credit card / bank account??

:spend:

You have to enter a pin to use the card. You don't just walk up and wave it over things.
3 incorrect pins and its locked out completely until reset in garmin connect.

You have to enter a pin to use the card. You don't just walk up and wave it over things.
3 incorrect pins and its locked out completely until reset in garmin connect.

How many digits is the pin?

So any overall impressions on yours??

I almost bought one..again...yesterday. but I really want to wait for POD availability and see how that goes.

So any overall impressions on yours??

I almost bought one..again...yesterday. but I really want to wait for POD availability and see how that goes.

Battery life is superior. My long runs absolutely mowed down my Mk1, I did a marathon this past Sunday and it used maybe 8%?
Buttons are smoother.
I'll dive this weekend since my legs are just starting to work again. :confused:
Lower left scroll (i forget what the menu is called) is way nicer with having a "preview" of what stats you want to look at for a quick look, then entering into that item has way more data than the Mk1.

Also non-diving, Pace Pro is on the Mk2. OH MY GOD I LOVE PACE PRO

MK2 and transmitter now available from Leisurepro, Note, special financing is available
upload_2020-10-28_18-17-36.png

It shows the Deco stop ceiling depth at the top right of the screen, the deco stop time in the bottom right and replaces NDL with TTS. So you know how long its going to take to get to the surface and where your next stop is and for how long. Otherwise you would be running blind with your current conservatism settings.
It is been a while this I went into deco with my Mk1 but my recollection was the following:
  • The NDL counts down to zero and then gets replaced with TTS with no indication of what depth or how long your stop will be
  • It is only when you reach the stop depth that that it shows you the stop ceiling and a countdown of the stop time.
Perhaps I wasn't looking closely enough but I don't remember seeing anything between when I went into deco and I reached the stop depth that told me how long my deco stop would be. My Perdix shows this as did my Atom 3.0.

If I can dive my planned dive this Saturday, I'll leave the Mk1 on 21% and see if I can force it into deco and have a closer look. I'll be diving with 26% and will have the Perdix and VT 4.0 set to that. I may not get deep enough to go into deco but I'll see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom