NTSB CONCEPTION HEARING - THIS TUESDAY @ 10AM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked

I looked at the interviews from NtSb again. Looks like it was Mikey who passed by the fire hose twice. 2ng galley. In his statement he was hired in 2017, 2 years he had worked with truth aquatics, and never required do a fire drill or emergency evacuation or presumably anything. He knew where the extinguishers were and was heading for those. 100% lack of training and oversight by jerry and glen. 34 Manslaughter charges not far away for them. If justice is real, for the both of them. But likely glen will let jerry be his little martyr.
sad. Very sad.
As stated above, cooks and second galley are part of the stewards department and are therefore not required to have any safety duties. Not saying it isn’t a good idea....

That’s why they don’t earn sea time for serving on a vessel. At least mine didn’t. Not deckhand sea time.

I have a naive question: do boats understand the concept of shift work?

I grew up in a world where many people worked shifts in factory's. 3 eight hour shifts kept the local car plant running. I assume full time operation boats like military and cruise ships use some kind of shift work scheme. Why not LOBs?

After the Conception fire we did a LOB trip where they introduced the new extra crew member who "we would never see". He was the dedicated night watchman who slept during the day.

Room.
3 panels of shifts require more beds.

As stated above, cooks and second galley are part of the stewards department and are therefore not required to have any safety duties. Not saying it isn’t a good idea....

That’s why they don’t earn sea time for serving on a vessel. At least mine didn’t. Not deckhand sea time.

doesn’t really make sense as to why all crew don’t have to participate in fire and safety drills. They think if a fire breaks out then it will magically spare the captain and deckhands so that they can save everyone’s lives and the galley cooks won’t need to play in any party? Clearly this incident proves that wrong. They should all be trained how to use that hose. If I work in a building and there’s drill happening All employees are expected to know where the exits are, where the fire extinguishers are, where the fire pulls are, how to close doors to contain the fire, where to evacuate customers... in My department the custodians were often teaching the staff what to do because management just made us do a pointless scavenger on our first day to the unit. I’ve also been a guest at a friends office with a random fire drill. The whole building with At least 6 different companies, evacuated for 30 minutes. Hell, I’ve done more fire drills in kindergarten than the combined crew of truth aquatics did.

I was the dive guide on the Lady Jenny V in the summer of 1992 (aged 45). We dived the whole length of the Red Sea from Egypt to Djibouti, including the Sudan, Eritrea and the islands off the Yemen. The crew shared the watches. I did 01.00 - 03.00hrs but because the engineer had his work cut out during the day, I also did his watch 03.00 - 05.00hrs. I didn't have a cabin and slept under the saloon table so I had to wait until the guests finished. It was tough but we averted many incidents during my six months onboard. It was a matter of staying alive for all of us. I also led three dives each day. Tell me it can't be done over a weekend!

Exactly. It can be done. But this is Merica. Gotta love good ol greed and capitalism. They can’t afford more bunks.

Bingo. On the project I mentioned where I balked at the diving, one of the other safety issues was we were bashing in 10-12 hour days (not counting my ~1.5 hour round commute to the boat ramp and downloading/charging gear at home) every day including weekends over four weeks. I got one weather day during that timeframe and a four-day break in the middle. I definitely felt like that contributed to a near-miss we had on the final day.

Not going to directly address someone who appears to have joined this forum for the sole purpose of making personal attacks in this thread, but I notice that the fire stations were at the aft of the salon. As I recall by the time most of the crew topside was alerted to the fire the stairs down from the sun deck also in that area were unusable. In the time between when the fire was discovered and when the aft stairs were rendered unusable, was there time to activate the pumps and firehoses?

Read Mikey’s interview, 2nd galley. He walked from the bow to the entrance of the saloon, saw it on fire then walked back to the bow. He accessed the port side walkway each way walking part the fire hose both times.

I didn’t say it couldn’t be done, I said it was illegal on a US flagged vessel to work more than 12 hours a day. I expect you worked more than 12 hours a day.

So you’re saying it’s ok to break one law in order to comply with another? Wonderful.
One crew member already had a spot down below with the passengers. There are plenty of bunks available to accommodate as many crew that is needed for a suitable number of night watch to your standards. Unless the concern is not really literal bunk space, but money spots.

Not going to directly address someone who appears to have joined this forum for the sole purpose of making personal attacks in this thread, but I notice that the fire stations were at the aft of the salon. As I recall by the time most of the crew topside was alerted to the fire the stairs down from the sun deck also in that area were unusable. In the time between when the fire was discovered and when the aft stairs were rendered unusable, was there time to activate the pumps and firehoses?

I’ve been watching scuba board for the past year. Looking for real info. But no one is providing it. Ken kurtis gives what he wants and spins it the way he wants. Biased. Fine. We all have our perspectives and opinions and are entitled to them. I’m tired of “listening” to a bunch of people justifying the deaths of 34 people, it’s grossing me out now.

If someone can’t listen to the other side then what’s the point of having a board?

im a former customer of Glen Fritzler. (Hopefully everyone becomes a former customer too.) He lied to me for years. Jerry lied too. I was promised the best, the safest, the most professional. I asked. What they didn’t tell me was that they were habitually breaking a federal law. Breaking the law on all vessels, the truth, vision, and conception. That’s no coincidence. .
Breaking Federal law. That’s why FBI was involved.

So I don’t get to express my dissatisfaction?
Like the ntsb, I’m sickened to learn that this is how many other dive operations work. It’s Gross Negligence and it’s infuriating.

personally attacking some one and showing them they’re wrong are different. I’ve only said what most here refuse to acknowledge.

Glen Fritzler and truth aquatics killed 34 people. Manslaughter charges will be filed. That’s not my opinion. That's a fact. My opinion is that you should all be pissed of too.

tell me I’m wrong.

I’ve been watching scuba board for the past year. Looking for real info. But no one is providing it. Ken kurtis gives what he wants and spins it the way he wants. Biased. Fine. We all have our perspectives and opinions and are entitled to them. I’m tired of “listening” to a bunch of people justifying the deaths of 34 people, it’s grossing me out now.

If someone can’t listen to the other side then what’s the point of having a board?

im a former customer of Glen Fritzler. (Hopefully everyone becomes a former customer too.) He lied to me for years. Jerry lied too. I was promised the best, the safest, the most professional. I asked. What they didn’t tell me was that they were habitually breaking a federal law. Breaking the law on all vessels, the truth, vision, and conception. That’s no coincidence. .
Breaking Federal law. That’s why FBI was involved.

So I don’t get to express my dissatisfaction?
Like the ntsb, I’m sickened to learn that this is how many other dive operations work. It’s Gross Negligence and it’s infuriating.

personally attacking some one and showing them they’re wrong are different. I’ve only said what most here refuse to acknowledge.

Glen Fritzler and truth aquatics killed 34 people. Manslaughter charges will be filed. That’s not my opinion. That's a fact. My opinion is that you should all be pissed of too.

tell me I’m wrong.
You don't think @Wookie who lost friends in that fire was pissed about it? I'm quite sure that he was (or maybe is still). Take a step back for a moment

The "real info" was the hearing that spawned this thread. Now, we're just a bunch of armchair quarterbacks discussing what we think will happen as a result. None of us discussing the hearing are decision makers for the NTSB or USCG or any other regulating body as far as I know.

The manager and owner of that boat may or may not deserve to be in jail. However, jailing those guys isn't going to make boating any safer. Rule changes might - if the rules are enforceable and then actually adhered to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom