Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, you can put your Descent data into Subsurface. But, that is actually a negative point, to me. Not that you CAN put it in, but HOW you have to do it. You cannot download directly from the Descent into Subsurface. And, that is ONLY because Garmin dictated to the Subsurface developers to NOT allow it. Garmin required it to be done by downloading to Garmin and then exporting that to import into Subsurface.

I really like how easy it is to download via BT from my Predator or Teric directly into Subsurface on my phone, while I'm still out on the boat, usually. And then it is just "there" in Subsurface on my laptop when I get home, without any extra steps.
I know you meant that you can't get from the Descent to Subsurface directly via Bluetooth but the process is actually very easy, and for me it is actually easier and quicker than with my Perdix. I rarely boat dive so this may also influence my preference.

The Descent will automatically upload the dive activity to the Garmin cloud as soon as it is Bluetooth range of your phone (assuming the Garmin Connect app is open on the phone - and I mean it just has to be there in the background) and the phone has an internet connection.

I pretty much only do shore dives. With my old car, within a couple of minutes of walking back to my car, my dive activity was already uploaded to Garmin Connect. I didn't have to take any action at all. With my new car I have to turn my phone off as it acts as a key (and if I leave it on anyone could drive away of they broke it). This means I have to turn my phone on before the dive activity will upload but as I also need to turn my phone on to drive home, that's not a big deal. I usually turn my phone off just after I unlock the car so the process now is not that different.

To get the dive into Subsurface, all I have to do is go into the dive in Garmin Connect on my computer, download the zip file, unzip it and import into Subsurface. The process takes around a minute.

Of course, if I have no internet connection (or Garmin is down for maintenance or a Ransomware attack) the process is not as smooth. That said, it was very easy for me to connect my Mk1 via USB and copy the files to my computer and then load them into Subsurface.

Now, while I can (and usually do) download my dive(s) to Subsurface from my Perdix via my phone, it is very slow and requires my attention. I have to put the Perdix into Bluetooth mode, start Subsurface, connect to the Perdix and download. A single dive takes 15-30 minutes! My phone is tied up that whole time. This is not something I waste my time doing at the dive site. I usually wait until I'm busy doing something else at home and do it in the background. Note that I do it via my phone because that is quicker than either my laptop or desktop.

Of course, this is how it works for me and I appreciate others are different. While I don't see any value in having my dives visible in Garmin Connect, it is a convenient way to get them to my computer.

In the meantime, thanks to the help from Garmin we are making nice progress on supporting the Garmin Descent Mk2/Mk2i in Subsurface.
I have first test downloads working on Linux and macOS, struggling a bit with making things work in Windows, but hopefully that's just a matter of time.
I'll try to remember posting here when we have first test binaries...

Not to go too far down this rabbit hole but how is this secure? I have wondered this before... you put your code in once in Garmin Connect when you're setting it up and then it can be used without a code? What happens if someone steals your watch?? Do they now have the ability to charge purchases to your credit card / bank account??

:spend:

I should have clarified better to say that the 4-digit passcode is entered on the watch when you want to use Garmin Pay. The passcode is requested the first time you use it and will continue to work until you take off the watch. As also mentioned, four wrong passcode entries when requested will lock out usage until re-paired with the phone to unlock the feature again.

I've been pretty much a cash person and since the pandemic started, I switched to using NFC, like Google Pay. In the last three months, I've been using Garmin Pay, which allows me to keep my phone in my pocket...

In the meantime, thanks to the help from Garmin we are making nice progress on supporting the Garmin Descent Mk2/Mk2i in Subsurface.
I have first test downloads working on Linux and macOS, struggling a bit with making things work in Windows, but hopefully that's just a matter of time.
I'll try to remember posting here when we have first test binaries...

More than happy to help test.

It is been a while this I went into deco with my Mk1 but my recollection was the following:
  • The NDL counts down to zero and then gets replaced with TTS with no indication of what depth or how long your stop will be
  • It is only when you reach the stop depth that that it shows you the stop ceiling and a countdown of the stop time.
Perhaps I wasn't looking closely enough but I don't remember seeing anything between when I went into deco and I reached the stop depth that told me how long my deco stop would be. My Perdix shows this as did my Atom 3.0.

If I can dive my planned dive this Saturday, I'll leave the Mk1 on 21% and see if I can force it into deco and have a closer look. I'll be diving with 26% and will have the Perdix and VT 4.0 set to that. I may not get deep enough to go into deco but I'll see.

I'm hoping it was just missed maybe since your deco was so light and maybe you were giving more attention to your Perdix, otherwise Garmin needs to be yelled at.

I went to see if i could find a video showing the actual screens during use but it seems that is not an easy find.

This is the closest i found and at around 2:10 it explains what it should to do.

No problem, it will let the Garmin fans line up

I'd line up for a combo with 10% or more off as that'd push me enough over to get it just to test and play with. I like to feel like I'm saving money even when I'm not...

Did the Mk1 have auto backlight? I don't remember it having it. Mk2i would auto backlight when I checked my pace this am on an early run.
The mk1 does not have a tilt/gyro activation backlight. This was something I was suprised about when I first got it.

My Atmos has that function and was much cheaper.

Good to hear that this is an undisclosed feature as it is a nice option to have.

I should have clarified better to say that the 4-digit passcode is entered on the watch when you want to use Garmin Pay. The passcode is requested the first time you use it and will continue to work until you take off the watch. As also mentioned, four wrong passcode entries when requested will lock out usage until re-paired with the phone to unlock the feature again.

I've been pretty much a cash person and since the pandemic started, I switched to using NFC, like Google Pay. In the last three months, I've been using Garmin Pay, which allows me to keep my phone in my pocket...

I started using Samsung Pay on my phone a month or so ago. I like not having to pull out my wallet if I don't have to Especially at gas pumps that might have card skinners.

So far, I have seen POS terminals that have Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay symbols. And ones that only have Apple and Google, and at which my Samsung Pay seems to not work.

I have never seen a POS terminal that indicated Garmin Pay compatibility. Where does Garmin Pay work? Does it use Apple or Google tech under the hood?

Am I missing something about how NFC payment works? Do they all actually use the same interface protocol to talk to the POS terminal, so if any one of them works, they should all work?

I have never seen a POS terminal that indicated Garmin Pay compatibility. Where does Garmin Pay work? Does it use Apple or Google tech under the hood?

Am I missing something about how NFC payment works? Do they all actually use the same interface protocol to talk to the POS terminal, so if any one of them works, they should all work?

In my experience, it seems contactless is contactless. I was using Apple Pay in Germany at contactless terminals over a year before it was officially available in the country.

Garmin Pay on my Fenix 6X has worked everywhere a contactless card or Apple Pay has worked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom