Restrictions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am also 100 percent sure the customs officials are being greedy. Insert various expletives here _________.

I had started typing a longer diatribe a couple of times but don’t think I posted it. I don’t think normal tourists will have a problem unless they are pushing some alcohol/tobacco limit , but I would be well within the 500 dollar limit (with receipts ) if you are bringing household or business items down for friends.
A catch all that seems to be growing is 'profesional working equipment' I have been told any item that goes on a boat or auto is classified as Professional equipment and the customs is 19% and not the 16% rate on the customs form. Last August some plastic tiles for around the spa became Professional equipment. This weekend I am bringing a small inline water heater for under the sink and expect to dinged on it.

We're headed to Coz over Thanksgiving. We usually bring some Bourbon with us. Based on a Google search we should be ok up to 3 liters. Should we expect any issues with customs? If so, what is the preferred method of handling?

We're headed to Coz over Thanksgiving. We usually bring some Bourbon with us. Based on a Google search we should be ok up to 3 liters. Should we expect any issues with customs? If so, what is the preferred method of handling?
I think you should be fine. I would just find spot on the form where it mentions alcohol volume so you can point to it if necessary.

Oddly, the English form and the Spanish form are not the same for wine (bad translation ), but think you are fine with English form for your bourbon and would almost certainly be fine with Spanish form. Can’t find them both online at moment, but I kept seeing conflicting things and finally realized the forms were different (I got English and Spanish on same plane and allowed volumes didn’t match for wine ).

No restrictions, really. I visited Cozumel (again) at the end of August and the only annoying thing was that I needed to send my phone to a link and answer covid-related questions, and then show the result for an inspection. The guys at the Cancun Airport didn't even pick up my form. They did ask me some covid-related questions, and I just smiled and said no to all of them. Then they smiled and didn't bother me further.

Mexico is happy to have American tourists. Just play along with the mask Kabuki. Your temperature will be checked, and you'll need (idiotically) to step on a alcohol-infused rubber mat when you enter most places. (Suddenly the WuFlu is foot & mouth disease!) But you won't be pestered too much beyond that. Restaurants just want you to wear a mask to you table.

Speaking of restaurants, I'd like to plug La Cocay. Chef is excellent, especially with duck. Last time I asked for rare duck because the time before that it was medium. Maybe medium-rare sholud be specified, but I erred on the side of "rare." Sure, some of it was closer to raw, but I don't care. It was glorious!!

No restrictions, really. I visited Cozumel (again) at the end of August and the only annoying thing was that I needed to send my phone to a link and answer covid-related questions, and then show the result for an inspection. The guys at the Cancun Airport didn't even pick up my form. They did ask me some covid-related questions, and I just smiled and said no to all of them. Then they smiled and didn't bother me further.

Mexico is happy to have American tourists. Just play along with the mask Kabuki. Your temperature will be checked, and you'll need (idiotically) to step on a alcohol-infused rubber mat when you enter most places. (Suddenly the WuFlu is foot & mouth disease!) But you won't be pestered too much beyond that. Restaurants just want you to wear a mask to you table.

Speaking of restaurants, I'd like to plug La Cocay. Chef is excellent, especially with duck. Last time I asked for rare duck because the time before that it was medium. Maybe medium-rare sholud be specified, but I erred on the side of "rare." Sure, some of it was closer to raw, but I don't care. It was glorious!!

Clearly off topic, but La Cocay is far and away my favorite restaurant on the island. I am not an adventurous eater, but someone made me try the duck firecrackers at New Years 2000/2001—been ordering them as appetizer ever since. We wound up with an extra duck entree a month ago from delivery —friend of mine who normally doesn’t like duck was raving about it for weeks.

My comments about duck aside, I still usually just stick with the filet mignon for entree. Friend gets the cowboy on steak night. Bacon wrapped stuffed chicken is good also. The make good pizza from a high quality pizza oven they bought off a friend that had a pizza place for short time many years ago. They deliver off the full menu, so they are definitely a good choice if you want a high quality meal at home.

Don’t miss the chocolate tort for dessert , but give them time to prepare (takes 15-20 minutes ).

Clearly off topic, but La Cocay is far and away my favorite restaurant on the island. I am not an adventurous eater, but someone made me try the duck firecrackers at New Years 2000/2001—been ordering them as appetizer ever since. We wound up with an extra duck entree a month ago from delivery —friend of mine who normally doesn’t like duck was raving about it for weeks.

My comments about duck aside, I still usually just stick with the filet mignon for entree. Friend gets the cowboy on steak night. Bacon wrapped stuffed chicken is good also. The make good pizza from a high quality pizza oven they bought off a friend that had a pizza place for short time many years ago. They deliver off the full menu, so they are definitely a good choice if you want a high quality meal at home.

Don’t miss the chocolate tort for dessert , but give them time to prepare (takes 15-20 minutes ).
Yes to the tort and to the duck firecrackers. I'm quite adventurous in my eating and thus have never tried the filet there. I'll do so next time. I had no idea they delivered.

Yes to the tort and to the duck firecrackers. I'm quite adventurous in my eating and thus have never tried the filet there. I'll do so next time. I had no idea they delivered.
Not the cheapest but well worth it, one of the best Hamburguesa's on the island, high quality meat
Late edit, it's Scuba Board, off topic is what we do

Back
Top Bottom