Socorro Liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, should clarify. Last time I was there was late November 3 mil shorty was fine for me. I’m 6ft 1 and 240 lbs - ish depending on which pie I’ve eaten that day...

Please recommend a Socorro liveaboard for a group of experienced cold water divers.
All of our group will have 200+ dives in cold water. At least half the group will be active cold water tech divers.

Requirements:
4 dives scheduled per day
minimal handholding once they get to know us and our skills
nitrox
mechanically reliable boat
nice boat
post dive adult beverages

Nice to haves:
large capacity steel tanks
din valves

Nautilus Undersea is a good liveaboard for Socorro too.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/socorro-22-30-december-2018-trip-report.573907/

Im going with a group of Cold water divers Dec. 12-20th. Nautilus pulled the Explorer out of the water and fixed her all up during Covid and she went back in the end of Sept. The Socorro Islands had been closed by Mexico is opening them back up Nov. 1st. I posted on Live aboard details on this trip as there is one double cabin left on this trip is anyone wants to dive this december. After the trip i will repost how it all went!

1) air conditioning didn’t work in the back cabin and the air conditioning was centralized so you couldn’t control individually in rooms it was too hot for anyone to sleep in
2) cabin bathroom just had a weak plastic divider as opposed to a door.
2) slanted dive deck where divers are getting geared upon an incline can be an issue if deck is full, one girl fell in swell Whilst gearing up and twisted her ankle, trip over.
3) galley is in the centre of the boat, so salon often smells strongly of kitchen and they countered this with glade plugins everywhere, so the smell of vanilla was very strong And made the salon not go’ for several people.
4) top deck had average furniture, not very comfortable. Basic plastic stuff.

From a more recent trip:

AC struggled at 40degC ambient - was fine in more reasonable conditions. The lower cabins near the front get the best cooling. Rooms had individual set points.
Some of the WCs are small-ish... but not unusable. One knee in the cabin and one in the shower and I could make it work.
No issues at all with galley ventilation - this must have been fixed.
Dive deck was expansive and you only were on the lower deck while loading. Looking at older pics I suspect they did a big upgrade at some point.
There was a lack of shade. Plenty of furniture on top deck, but it was completely in the open (see 40degC ambient).

Anyways, just a quick note that some issues have been addressed.
I did feel it made some minor trade-offs in favor of functionality over comfort.
I'd happily go on it again.

I still haven’t been on a Socorro boat I would
Consider 8/10+ ....but i think you generally have to accept that for the trip to this destination. It’s more ‘workhorse’ than ‘luxury’ . I think they could
Do more with the top deck though for minimal outlay

My trip on the Nautilus Explorer in May 2019 was at least 9/10. @Ministryofgiraffes has a much more rigorous grading system. I would return in a moment. Ship upgrade was in 2018, his trip was in 2017

My trip on the Nautilus Explorer in May 2019 was at least 9/10. @Ministryofgiraffes has a much more rigorous grading system. I would return in a moment. Ship upgrade was in 2018, his trip was in 2017

I’d have to agree with that :)

For me it’s more a case of ‘if that boat is an 8/10’ then what’s the grading of an aggressor in the Carib? The Belize 4 or the Cayman aggressor or even the aqua cat? and then what is the grading of a boat like the MY Blue in the Red Sea or the Emperor superior?...and then what is the grading of the blue force one in the Maldives or even the arenui in Indonesia? Or the four seasons Maldives ....because I honestly don’t think all of those boats fit into a 9 or 10 grading together and I’d say that all arguably better boats than the explorer... Some by a long way..

I think the issue is that ‘grading’ has somehow reached a stage where some seem to think
’anything below an 8 is crap’.... which is sort of the problem with 1-10 grading.....

and dont get me started on ‘grading the trip/dive site/crew instead of the physical boats‘...that a whole other issue...I’ve had 10/10 crews on a 5/10 boat...they don’t make the boat 10/10..

I’d have to agree with that :)

For me it’s more a case of ‘if that boat is an 8/10’ then what’s the grading of an aggressor in the Carib? The Belize 4 or the Cayman aggressor or even the aqua cat? and then what is the grading of a boat like the MY Blue in the Red Sea or the Emperor superior?...and then what is the grading of the blue force one in the Maldives or even the arenui in Indonesia? Or the four seasons Maldives ....because I honestly don’t think all of those boats fit into a 9 or 10 grading together and I’d say that all arguably better boats than the explorer... Some by a long way..

I think the issue is that ‘grading’ has somehow reached a stage where some seem to think
’anything below an 8 is crap’.... which is sort of the problem with 1-10 grading.....

and dont get me started on ‘grading the trip/dive site/crew instead of the physical boats‘...that a whole other issue...I’ve had 10/10 crews on a 5/10 boat...they don’t make the boat 10/10..
You have a LOT of valid points. I tend to think regionally and compare/rate them against their direct competition. What might be an 8/10 in the Caribbean, might be a 6/10 or even a 5/10 in the Maldives.

I really enjoyed the Solmar V on my Soccoro trip in January, (yes I remember pre-covid days still). Really nice boat, yes small bathrooms, good dive deck, we entered zodiac from side of boat but always people to help with camera and getting on/off really good food, beer wine and booze complimentary, great crew. One even made sandwiches for us after we came back from a late night drinking excursion on our nite in port before departures.
I was in a group of experienced divers and we weren't nannied, guide just wanted you in sight.
I've also been on the Belle Amie to Guadeloupe, big big boat, nice though, would be good in rough seas, lots of cabin sizes to choose from, good food, large beer, wine, booze selection, good crew. My only reticence with a boat that size is the number of divers on board, I think it has 32 and Solmar V had 24 I think. 32 divers in the water at one time is alot, it might be hard to shoot photos and video without another diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom