DIR- GUE Input and Advice on my GUE Training Path and GUE Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I already have my AOW, so Rec 2 doesn't get me anything, so I think I will just stick with prepping for a tech pass with fundies.

Thanks for your input! :)

Respectfully,

OctoHelm
What were you <expecting> to get out of Rec2?

Rec2 is AOW+ for students who took Rec1.

@ginti When I dive in my BP/W, I arch my back, and it becomes concave. It is like I am trying to straighten my back out before lifting weights. I don't know why I do that, and as I was practicing a bailout from a feet first ascent in my dry suit, I think that ticked it off. This is not the first time that I have felt pain in my back, so I'd love any feedback on there too.
OctoHelm

I also arch my back instinctively. I'm always trying to improve it, even after getting a Tech Pass. The trick is keeping your butt flexed and round your lower back into your backplate. Keep your head up and your arms out in front. With practice (and going to Fundies) you'll see a big improvement.

What were you <expecting> to get out of Rec2?

Rec2 is AOW+ for students who took Rec1.

Considering that I go to fundies and get my rec pass, I would be hoping to achieve the following thorough Rec 2:

• Experience in the water in Monterey
  • Experience in doubles
  • A working, and thorough understanding of how to dive safely with hyperoxic trimix (TriOx)
  • More experience with GUE and the way they train
  • A tech pass from Rec 2
I can go from Rec 2 to T1 if I get my tech pass from R2. I already have my AOW, but it could be useful. I might also take it with a stage for practice too.

Cheers,

OctoHelm

Considering that I go to fundies and get my rec pass, I would be hoping to achieve the following thorough Rec 2:

• Experience in the water in Monterey
  • Experience in doubles
  • A working, and thorough understanding of how to dive safely with hyperoxic trimix (TriOx)
  • More experience with GUE and the way they train
  • A tech pass from Rec 2
I can go from Rec 2 to T1 if I get my tech pass from R2. I already have my AOW, but it could be useful. I might also take it with a stage for practice too.

Cheers,

OctoHelm

Did I miss a memo? Since when does Rec 2 allow one to take Tech 1?

I’m seeing nothing about actually going diving and enjoying it. Just classes.

you don’t need a to be in a class to dive Monterey. Or a in a class to dive doubles. Or a class to learn more about GUE and how things are done.

I think you’ll find that class after class is just unfulfilling.

you don’t need a to be in a class to dive Monterey. Or a in a class to dive doubles. Or a class to learn more about GUE and how things are done.

This. Take fundies. Then go diving with the GUE community. Stop rushing towards some certification goal, and enjoy the skills that you will gain from fundies. And stop trying to pretrain for fundies - No really, stop it. It won't help you, and may well hinder you.

is it weird that I've been really enjoying my stepped back diving this year with COVID? no monstrous cave dives, only a handful of deep stuff, but stepping back and doing baby dives and mentoring people has been really refreshing this year

is it weird that I've been really enjoying my stepped back diving this year with COVID? no monstrous cave dives, only a handful of deep stuff, but stepping back and doing baby dives and mentoring people has been really refreshing this year
Dude it is kind of nice. No stress no worries no logistics no coordinating. I even managed to do a few single tank ocean dives on the east coast that I’ve wanted to do for years but never had the time.

I also arch my back instinctively. I'm always trying to improve it, even after getting a Tech Pass. The trick is keeping your butt flexed and round your lower back into your backplate. Keep your head up and your arms out in front. With practice (and going to Fundies) you'll see a big improvement.

On the back-arching tangent: I'm a back-archer when I start to get cold. If I rotate my shoulders forward against the webbing (like I'm going to rip the back of a t-shirt open Hulk-style), that presses my back against the plate and stretches my back muscles out a bit. I have good posture and a natural lumbar arch so maybe that contributes to arching when the muscles tighten up.

So much this.

I've spent about a quarter of my almost 200 dives in classes. It gets really boring, I needed time between classes just going out and diving for fun even if it is just recreational diving. In fact getting out and doing a low stress recreational dive to see fish can help break the monotony, when you are limited by a low experience level and cert level.

Heck even now that I am at a pretty descent tech cert plateau I am still looking at planning a trip to South Florida or the Keys to putz around with a single tank/pony and my camera.

I joined this group just to say this, I'll see myself out now.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom