Night Diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My question: are their particular dive ops that do night dives especially well? I know the usual list of recommended dive ops--that's not what I am looking for. I have done a couple of night dives from the shore and disliked them. But I was told that night dives can be great. I want to try again.

What about the night dives did you not like?

The thing with 3P is that it draws very good divers. I can barely keep up in the daylight, so I'm nervous about the night. I don't like to be a hindrance. That said, the minimum of 2 divers, as opposed to 4, is a big deal. Also, Paradise Reef is easy stuff, so this might be perfect. I'll check out Jungle Divers as well. Thank you very much.

Have you used Scubatony for night (or afternoon) dives? It was recommended largely because it does a lot of them.

No, for Cozumel night dives I've only used 3P and Jungle Divers.

As far as 3P night dives, most that we've been on have not been very crowded. Also, the fact that many 3P divers are experienced means that it's not hard to stay near the divemaster if you want to (the experienced divers tend to do their own thing and only loosely follow the group).

When we did the shore night dive with Jungle Divers it was just my son and I with the divemaster/co-owner. They are a newer shop, but very experienced divemasters. I think the shore night dive we did with them was just as good, if not better, than the boat night dives we've done on Paradise Reef.

What about the night dives did you not like?
Well, we're talking one night dive as far as I can remember. It was off the "beach" of Coco Tiki Club. Every time I turned on my light there were hordes of slimy creatures besieging me, including the uncovered area of my face. The experience was disorienting with nothing positive about it, except for getting my AOWD certificate and proving that I could navigate in the dark with only a compass.

No, for Cozumel night dives I've only used 3P and Jungle Divers.

As far as 3P night dives, most that we've been on have not been very crowded. Also, the fact that many 3P divers are experienced means that it's not hard to stay near the divemaster if you want to (the experienced divers tend to do their own thing and only loosely follow the group).

When we did the shore night dive with Jungle Divers it was just my son and I with the divemaster/co-owner. They are a newer shop, but very experienced divemasters. I think the shore night dive we did with them was just as good, if not better, than the boat night dives we've done on Paradise Reef.
Thanks so much for that information, Rob. Maybe I'll do two night dives, one from the shore, one from the boat.

Well, we're talking one night dive as far as I can remember. It was off the "beach" of Coco Tiki Club. Every time I turned on my light there were hordes of slimy creatures besieging me, including the uncovered area of my face. The experience was disorienting with nothing positive about it, except for getting my AOWD certificate and proving that I could navigate in the dark with only a compass.
Tiny red things swarming your light, right? What are those things?

Bloodworms. Harmless but annoying. Fun to use your light to feed them to shrimps and crabs.
That's what I thought they were called but when I googled it I got: Bloodworms (Glycera dibranchiata) are a type of annelid, or segmented worm, like an earthworm. Unlike earthworms, they're found in marine habitats where they burrow into the silt and sand—a good position for keeping a low profile from predators and staking out prey. They are typically found on the bottom of shallow marine waters, and some species can grow up to 35 centimetres in length. Bloodworms are carnivorous. They feed by extending a large proboscis that bears four hollow jaws. The jaws are connected to glands that supply venom which they use to kill their prey, and their bite is painful even to a human. They are preyed on by other worms, by bottom-feeding fish and crustaceans, and by gulls.

Eek! That sounds like the monster from the Alien movies. :D

Bloodworms. Harmless but annoying. Fun to use your light to feed them to shrimps and crabs.

I like the way you think, gonna have to try that. Hopefully first Coz night dive here in a few weeks.

A sample factor of 1 is hard to assess. I’ve been on a lot of night shore dives in coz and usually don’t see them but I did on one last month. Very annoying especially if trying to take video. You probably won’t have them on a boat reef dive.

I like the way you think, gonna have to try that. Hopefully first Coz night dive here in a few weeks.
Bloodworms, huh? Nice to know. I'd be happy to send them to meet their maker via flashlight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom