Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe its controlled with notifications in the Mk2. ie: if you have notifications between 9p-5a turned off, it won't turn on you.
Completely forgot that you can customize that little stuff in connect...

The Atmos seems like it will always be destined to be a flashlight..

I am ok with pm people the story about what happened to him but, I do not believe it is my responsibility to post a story that is coming from a friend. If he wants to post the story that is his decision cause I'm sure garmin or someone will contact him via the forum. I try my best to keep out of posting forums but, I will add my input when I believe so.
I wasn't meaning to imply that it was your responsibility only that you were already posting a story from a friend and I'm sure many are interested in the details that you might know about the dive computer.

I have found that it does sometimes but not others. I have been trying to work out under what conditions the backlight turns on but haven't as yet.

One situation where I know the auto backlight works. I often go for a walk at night and I use the walk activity. I start the walk activity and when I have GPS I hit the start button. I then hold the bottom left button so I get the default watch face. This is because on a walk I'm more interested in the time that my pace, etc. In this situation, if I bring the Mk1 up to my face the light definitely comes on.

When I've used it for an early morning run without bringing up the default watch face, I don't remember auto backlight working. I haven't been for a run on a while but next time I do... actually... let me check it now.... Oh... it works. I wonder if this was fixed in one of the firmware upgrades.

Edit: I should add that auto backlight does not appear to work in watch mode (with the default or custom faces I have tried) or in dive mode.
That is odd as I never noticed or recall that function working before. Maybe I missed it...or maybe it was added..I have no clue now. I do wish they would add it so it works out of an activity though.

In a sense yes we can all agree that they are "meant" to be different items. On the computer, I would say otherwise due to the fact that they both carry the exact information it's just that gauge mode has an active depth rate so you don't go down too fast and it has a compass. It does not give an NDL or deco information, so within not having that info i just see it being apnea mode with a compass.

For the apnea modes im fairly sure will not stop the nitrogen calculations like gauge does.

Which is why apnea modes shouldn't lock you out of dive mode but gauge will.

That is odd as I never noticed or recall that function working before. Maybe I missed it...or maybe it was added..I have no clue now. I do wish they would add it so it works out of an activity though.
I have a feeling it didn't used to work in an activity, which is why I was surprised that it works now in the run activity.

For the apnea modes im fairly sure will not stop the nitrogen calculations like gauge does.

which is why apnea modes shouldn't lock you out of dive mode but gauge will.
So if you initiate gauge mode it locks it out to apnea and gauge mode specifically. With that being said what I was trying to say is that Apnea mode doesn't calculate nitrogen load for obvious reason and the gauge does also not calculate nitrogen load. It's basically dive mode without calculating your nitrogen load.

The mk1 does not have a tilt/gyro activation backlight. This was something I was suprised about when I first got it.

It should. I'm pretty positive my MK1 did, although I no longer have it to look. But I recall it was the same as the MK2 is - go to settings > system > backlight > not during activity, and turn Gesture to on. When you roll your wrist up to see the time, it turns the backlight on. It's not terribly reliable. Sometimes it works great and other times not at all.

Tony

It should. I'm pretty positive my MK1 did, although I no longer have it to look. But I recall it was the same as the MK2 is - go to settings > system > backlight > not during activity, and turn Gesture to on. When you roll your wrist up to see the time, it turns the backlight on. It's not terribly reliable. Sometimes it works great and other times not at all.

Tony
Yep, looks like i was wrong. Now it is working with a flip of the wrist to look at the time just like I always wanted. My Atmos was random at times but this one seems to work every time. Thanks

Incase anyone is interested - Garmin in Depth Look

Im wondering now if there will be a discount for Black Friday and by then some PODS should be out in the wild. Last two years the MK1 was about $200 off.

For those who already bought the Mk2/Mk2i, we now have a few test binaries for Subsurface that support downloading from all of the Garmin Descent dive computers using the USB cradle / USB clip (note, downloading via BLE is NOT supported - you do need the USB cable).

https://subsurface-divelog.org/downloads/test/subsurface-4.9.7-234-gc5ab9647d5dc.exe
https://subsurface-divelog.org/downloads/test/Subsurface-4.9.7-234-gc5ab9647d5dc.10.15+11.0.dmg
https://subsurface-divelog.org/downloads/test/Subsurface-4.9.7-234-gc5ab9647d5dc.10.13+14.dmg

These are installers for Windows (64bit only) and macOS. There are a ton of Linux version that we also support, let me know which Linux OS you run and I'll point you in the right direction. If you run into problems, please reach out.

I expect to release Subsurface 4.9.8 in the next couple of weeks or so - but these test binaries are quite close to what will be in there.

For those who already bought the Mk2/Mk2i, we now have a few test binaries for Subsurface that support downloading from all of the Garmin Descent dive computers using the USB cradle / USB clip (note, downloading via BLE is NOT supported - you do need the USB cable).
It is worthwhile pointing out that you can also Import the FIT files from your hard disk if you set up the appropriate folder structure.

I do this with my Mk1 and it is much easier.

After a dive I let my Mk1 automatically upload my dive to Garmin Connect via my phone. When I get home I download the FIT file to /Users/<username>/Garmin/Activity (note that it downloads as a ZIP file and I unzip it). I then point Subsurface to /Users/<username> and it finds the file there just as if it was on the Mk1 via the USB cable.

It does have a bunch of extra options but as a dive computer I much prefer my Perdix. The Mk1 would have been (and still could be if Garmin made an effort) equal to the Perdix as a dive computer.

Simple things like:
  • displaying SI on the dive mode face before the dive (like every other dive computer)
  • better handling of the start of dive determination (like my 2005 Citizen Cyberaqualand NX did perfectly)
  • Better deco information (I'd much prefer it telling me the exact deco commitment rather than a less than intuitive TTS)
So... it appears Garmin were listening to my complaints about the Mk1 but rather than fixing the issues in the Mk1, they put it into the MK2 instead. While I'm happy that they saw reason, I feel somewhat cheated.
Garmin%20Mk2%20SI.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom