Female fins for frog kicking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I’ve decided to take the plunge and start buying my own dive gear. I just got a mask and my next purchase is a pair of fins. I’d like a pair that I can frog kick in and perhaps occasionally freestyle kick if necessary. I’m diving in warm water.

If you mainly frog kick in your fins could you please let me know which fins you use?

I’m considering:

Cressi Frog Plus
Mares avanti quattro plus
Aqualung Hotshot

but I’m open to any suggestions! Thank you so much in advance for any help with finding the right pair :)

pink_jet_fins_scubapro_brandnew_1512921356_ba4a75fc.jpg

Not sure why many still believe short fins are needed to "frog kick". It's technique. Look at the length of a frog's foot: leg. It would appear they are more adapted to what humans consider free dive fins, based on length. Give them a try.

Jets can be heavy. You can get similarly styled Apeks or OMS fins.
And heavy fins are likely not what a warm-water diver wants. I also found that there wasn't a size that fit my feet--the foot pocket on the Jet fins is too short and wide. I believe women are more likely to have this problem, as women's feet tend to be narrower. Whatever you do, OP, try your fins on with your booties before you buy, and if possible, rent or borrow a pair to try out in the water before you commit. It looks like your top contenders have more flexible foot pockets than Jet fins do, so you're less likely to have issues with fit, but it's still worth checking.

Frog kicks can be done with less than optimal fins. Back kicks, though, are hard without a rigid fin that has a good "side rail," basically top to bottom thickness with a flat edge along the side. I started with a pair of Scubapro Jetsport fins that looked somewhat similar to the fins you're considering, from what I can see of those online. I was able to learn to frog kick in them, but I never managed the back kick until I got a pair of Hollis F1 LTs. (Incidentally, the foot pocket on those wasn't quite right either, but I tweaked it with some hot water and a pair of shoes stuffed inside.)

Jet Fins are good practice for when you get home and want to walk around with a brick strapped to each foot
Just get a fin that you like the look of that's not too floppy and go frog kicking
Cressi Frog Plus look fine
Can't go wrong with the Mares but are they a touch too wide
but never ever ever get the gimmicky Aqualung Hotshot

I've heard nothing but good things about jet fins by the more technical and experienced divers. I picked up the Mares when I started diving in warm water and haven't had an issue in them for frog, freestyle, or back-finning. Personally I like the length of the Mares over the jet because it means I don't have to have multiple sets of fins for snorkeling, diving, frogkicking, etc.

Congratulations, OP, for making the decision to own your own gear. It is a step toward more comfort in your diving when you know the gear you are using rather than renting.

I used the Scuba Pro jet fins in both warm and cold water for my first few years of OW diving and did not find them too heavy. They are a good paddle fin and slices through the water well for all kicks (frog, helicopter, modified frog, modified flutter, and back)

I did have to switch to a larger fin when I started diving in doubles, with a stage, and a deco bottle because I was not getting the distance with each kick. In doubles I dive the Hollis F1 fins and in single tank I dive the ScubaPro Jet fins.

If you are able, borrow or rent fins and try out which works best for your type of diving before buying.

Good luck and safe dives!

For warm water wetsuit scubapro go sports are pretty good also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom