No depth gauge just computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's a "depth gauge"? Is that different from a dive computer?

XSSWDGMD.JPG

Oh, wow! An old underwater watch of some sort. This is like the phone my grandfather has. You have to use your finger to rotate a dial to make calls. So ancient I have never seen before. This probably what divers used to use before God made Shearwater.

I am amazed at the things I learn on SB, every time I get on SB, I learn something new. WOW!!!

But, what do the numbers mean on the thing here? Is zero the start of time? I have to find a very old guy who knows what this watch does and explain it to me. Thank God for the Shearwater calculator phones we have now.

Last analog depth gauge I used was about 18 years ago. Computer ever since.
As eluded to, pretty much the standard depth gauge and timer is now a computer.

Now what computer to use? Shearwater is very well regarded everywhere. Typically the benchmark others try to compare to. So much so there style is copied. And recently they introduced a new entry level computer. read the specs, if they match or exceed your needs then that is a good choice.

That is the XS Scuba Depth Gauge Module still sold today. When in Jamaica we noticed that the rental gear used a similar module in the counsel.
Rental gear frequently includes a depth gauge because they cannot be sure the renter will have a computer.

It has been well over 10 years since I first used a dive operator that required all divers to have computers, but I doubt if many operations do even today. It's not like the no-computer divers are using tables, though. Lots of divers, sadly, really do nothing at all except follow a divemaster. Such divers don't even need a depth gauge, but the dive operation feels a need to provide one.

Is it considered bad if I skip the depth gauge on my next set of gear? Just using a computer for depth and a wrist compass? Looking at getting back into diving with a travel size setup. I have never dove with a computer before. Just paper charts and analog gauges. But it seems like this is a good way to eliminate some clunky equipment?

Just normal holiday fun diving, nothing fancy.

Thanks
You MUSY know your depth, time underwater, and gas pressure; that is the minimum info for a safe dive. HOW you know that info is not that important. Your computer will tell you all but gas pressure.

You MUSY know your depth, time underwater, and gas pressure; that is the minimum info for a safe dive. HOW you know that info is not that important. Your computer will tell you all but gas pressure.

And some computers even tell you gas pressure

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom