Dry suit sucking in water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't heard of the sucking thing. On the face of it, it doesn't really makes sense to me -- since your undersuit is somewhat squishy, your suit would have to be really squeezed to create a vacuum, most likely beyond the point where it's uncomfortable. I'm also dubious of "just add some lead" as a solution to any problem besides "I have a hard time sinking / staying down."

When I first started diving dry, I had some leaky neck seal issues. Not every dive, but maybe half or so. For me, the problem was little hairs on my neck, especially in the back, where my hairline ends. Solution was to do a better job of shaving the back of my neck every so often, to keep the population of teeny hairs in check. I also have my buddy do a quick visual check on my neck seal, just to verify that there are no folds, twists, or chunks of hair trapped under it.

Best of luck

Your neck seal should be below your Adam’s apple. It’s also possible that your seal is too big for your neck. Perhaps you need a small instead of a regular seal.

I dive the same suit and I never had an issue.
As for the vacuum that’s completely not true. I had a valve issue once down at 40m (130’) and the squeeze was terribly painful as my suit had no air in it. I could barely move my limbs and I ended up severely bruised. My suit never flooded from the neck.

As was posted above, it sounds to me like maybe your neck seal is too large.

DW

More weight and more air in your suit, would result in air getting out passing your neck seal... That can't be the solution :)

Common leaks, I've had most all these at some point, even on a brand new suit.

Dump valve. Sometimes they need a warm tap water flush from the inside to remove buildup or trapped schmutz. Even on a new suit they may not be seated perfect. Poorly seated or cross threaded to suit.

Zipper. Give it a solid tug whence closed to be sure it's actually fully closed. Lube/was it it depending on type.

Inflator valve. Bad or defective o-ring. Manufacturing defect or schmutz in tube where o-ring moves. Poorly seated or cross threaded to suit.

Seals. Leak test to make sure they are fully glued on and not leaking at base. Make sure they are properly sized. Make sure they do not have pinholes.

Heels. Leak test to make sure pull up strap stitching isn't weeping.

P-valve. Make sure it is fully attached to suit. Check for leakage at duck bill and check valves, if balanced. Check for proper hose attachment to base.

Everywhere else. Soap it up and look for leaks in body, arms, legs, stitching, soles, pretty much everywhere.

If enough squeeze is applied it can suck water in or make a tiny issue worse. This is magnified in cold water with thick undergarments.

Some leaks can totally suck to find, I know all to well.

Take a picture with it on and show us what the neck area looks like, that’ll help diagnose the problem.

but no, adding more air will not help. If you have to much air in the suit it can bubble out through the neck seal.

It seems a lot of folks jumped on the idea that the leak is from the neck when the OP only stated that he "thinks" it is from the neck.

If the leak is coming from the neck due to a size issue, then I am a bit fuzzy on how one can do 6 dives and flood-out each time and not have a clear idea that they are taking in water from that area.

As others have mentioned, neck hair, adams apple, and neck tendons when turning or lifting the head can all cause issues with a neckseal, even more so if it is too large.

The fact that the neck seal was replaced should have ruled out an improperly glued or detaching neck seal and any small tears...unless the glue job was done poorly and/or the replacement seal had a defect.

My thinking is, that since the OP is not sure that water is leaking in through the neck that the problem is more likely to be with the zipper. I would also check that the inflation and dump valves are adequately tight.

The Aqualung Fusion One is a back-entry drysuit made from waterproof/non-breathable material. It comes with latex seals at the wrists and neck. Aqua Lung does not market this suit with the Si-Tech silicone neck and wrist seal systems, though one can of course add them as an aftermarket item.

Because the drycore material of the Fusion One is non-breathable, could it be that some (or all) of the wetness is due to absorbed sweat?

Since the Fusion One is a back inflate, the OP may not be ensuring their zipper is fully closed or the zipper is damaged.

Perhaps the OP can provide some insight as to how much water is filling the suit and what part of their body/undergarments are getting soaked.

If I were the OP I would obtain and suspend the suit by ball shaped mooring float/boat bumper to effectively block the neck. then remove the skin from the suit, and use some water bottles or empty cans to plug the wrist seals. Inflate the suit and spray suspect areas with mixture of water/dishsoap/glycerin...the glycerin makes the bubbles a bit stronger thus making them more likely to be visible.

A mooring float should only cost about $10....attach some line (cord/rope) to it and suspend the suit:

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQ7uZ-RgmxEp4gwmHVO_jm-OPZ2sPiaDxX48Q&usqp=CAU.jpg

Here is a picture of the core of my suit with the skin removed suspended and inflated with a similar float inserted...instead of cans/water bottles I have my drygloves attached to block the wrists. The chair was put there to provide perspective for the photo and for me to stand my tank on so I could connect my low-pressure inflator to the suit and fill it up. Glycerin for the soap mixture can be purchased at a pharmacy.
upload_2020-11-1_12-26-3.jpeg

-Z

Neck leaks can happen if you're moving your head a lot. Looking up, down and to the sides where your head is doing the twisting can open up channels between your skin and the seal. Pretend you have a neck brace on and pivot your shoulders more when looking around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom