Making a 10 meter RIB suitable/comfortable for divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I am planning on opening a dive shop in the Kykladic Islands in Greece, in which there is a fair bit of wind in summer (hence all the picturesque windmills). I have been advised that inorder to go out every day, I need a RIB as a hardshell boat will just beat up the passengers.

Also, the maximum length boat I can have where I only need a fast boat license, not a captain's license, is 10 meters.

Does anyone have experience modifying such a boat to have seats and securing tanks/dive gear? My hopes is to provide 2-tank dive trips where customers have refreshments in between dives (water, watermelon, etc.).

If there are any brands of RIBs people would recommend, that would be appreciated as well.

Also, my preference is for a diesel engine.

Part of my plan is to provided training/services for disabled divers, so a nice platform at the end. Aqua Team which has an office in Athens and boats in Kythnos (one of the Kykladic islands) and Porto Rafti have such a platform. One of the owners, Manthos Marras, is a DDI instructor (trainer too if I'm not mistaken). He showed me a picture of it the other day when I was asking questions for opening a shop (super nice guy and super helpful).

The best Ribs I have been in are the NAIAD brand, they are semi rigid inflatables. Might be hard to get in Greece though?
They always have outboard petrol engines, I am yet to see an outboard diesel (they may exist somewhere??)
The latest 4 stroke eco outboards are quite fuel efficient and emission friendly.

https://www.naiad.co.nz/tourism-boats

The dive operator in Islay, Inner Hebrides, used to run 7.5m RIBs with an inbound diesel.

You want to check whether others are using RIBs in Greece. As the sun destroys the tubes.

I remember something, a few years ago, about SCUBA being tightly controlled by the government with operations to comply with relevant ISO certifications. In other words agencies must hold ISO 24801-X and ISO 24802-X, plus an International Certificate for Operators of Pleasure Craft (ICC) which BSAC teach and issue.

You want to check whether others are using RIBs in Greece. As the sun destroys the tubes.
I did that. Two of the three existing dive ops use RIBs. The third I don’t know

Might check out www.lifeproofboats.com for some ideas on built up RHIBs. They’re in your neck of the woods.

Traditionally the best inflatable boats have always been those made by Zodiac, to the point that in some countries they call "zodiacs" any inflatable boats of any brand...
Pro Archives - Zodiac Nautic - Inflatable and Rigid Inflatable Boats
I suggest the PRO line...
Being a top-quality brand, indeed, original Zodiacs are quite expensive.
Due to the current uncertainties on the future related to the collapse of tourism in Europe, perhaps this is not the good moment for investing in long-lasting goods. Better to save money buying lower quality boats, which of course will only last 2-3 years of heavy-duty usage.

What is the max amount of people you plan to take out? A 10 meter rib with seats and a in board diesel is not going to have a lot of space left for tanks and moving around. There are a few outboard diesels available but I don't think they are suitable for salt water, at least not the ones I saw in action (tight cooling channels, prone to getting stuck with salt and limescale) Simillary, a 10 meter rib without seats is not going to provide a comfortable ride...

I would rather look at a twin hull aluminum catamaran or one of the morn modern single hull designs, much better with space efficiency, comfort and stability. Here in Croatia people are using Colnago boats with great efficiency for day trips I would not get one of those but I would look for a simillar hull desing.

Out of rib manufacturers something like a Sacs, Humber, Viking or Tornado are going to give you the best quality for a fair (still steep) price.

Every Rib I've ever had to use, I've had to sit on the tubes, and then there's the faff of boarding

IRibs (IMO) are okay for short trips, I wouldn't be so keen on a 45- 1 hour ride (without a canopy) others might differ

Here we use hard boats, we have chop, and comfort it achieved with a decent hull, and the boat being properly balanced so it stays on the plane, rather than being bow heavy where it keeps crashing down, being too heavy to sustain the plane

A decent boat driver who is conscious of passenger comfort is paramount, as when you're standing at the helm you've not exposed to the same shocks as sitting.

Obv hard boats you can have canopies and better ladders

All ours are 10m for easy of towing, the slightly bigger 12m boats with wider beam ride better, but then because of the weight you need twin 300 hp rather than the twin 150/ 200hp we have and deal with increased fuel consumption.

You have a tricky balancing act with regard to the max size of boat you can use, giving best all round comfort while not being uneconomic to run.

Might check out www.lifeproofboats.com for some ideas on built up RHIBs. They’re in your neck of the woods.
On the way to my parent’s beach house. Will definitely tour the facilities.

What is the max amount of people you plan to take out? A 10 meter rib with seats and a in board diesel is not going to have a lot of space left for tanks and moving around. There are a few outboard diesels available but I don't think they are suitable for salt water, at least not the ones I saw in action (tight cooling channels, prone to getting stuck with salt and limescale) Simillary, a 10 meter rib without seats is not going to provide a comfortable ride...

I would rather look at a twin hull aluminum catamaran or one of the morn modern single hull designs, much better with space efficiency, comfort and stability. Here in Croatia people are using Colnago boats with great efficiency for day trips I would not get one of those but I would look for a simillar hull desing.

Out of rib manufacturers something like a Sacs, Humber, Viking or Tornado are going to give you the best quality for a fair (still steep) price.

I will try to determine the max customers I can take comfortably on 2-tank trips. I definitely want a canopy as @Diving Dubai mentioned.

I want to provide good service and make a reasonable profit. If that cannot be achieved, I will have to change plans until both are met or abandon the idea altogether

Every Rib I've ever had to use, I've had to sit on the tubes, and then there's the faff of boarding

IRibs (IMO) are okay for short trips, I wouldn't be so keen on a 45- 1 hour ride (without a canopy) others might differ

Here we use hard boats, we have chop, and comfort it achieved with a decent hull, and the boat being properly balanced so it stays on the plane, rather than being bow heavy where it keeps crashing down, being too heavy to sustain the plane

A decent boat driver who is conscious of passenger comfort is paramount, as when you're standing at the helm you've not exposed to the same shocks as sitting.

Obv hard boats you can have canopies and better ladders

All ours are 10m for easy of towing, the slightly bigger 12m boats with wider beam ride better, but then because of the weight you need twin 300 hp rather than the twin 150/ 200hp we have and deal with increased fuel consumption.

You have a tricky balancing act with regard to the max size of boat you can use, giving best all round comfort while not being uneconomic to run.
if I go 12 meters, I will need a captain’s license which is the long term plan. I’m looking at the first five years. Lots of good input and I’m fortunate to have a really good boat show yearly in Seattle. I’m just starting to put in the homework

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom