Typhoon Goni Super Category 5 - Luzon Trajectory

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Blueringocto_73 That image is a bit old now. Here's the current position based on Windy.com's Infrared Satellite...

Rolly WindyRadar 11-1 1206.jpg

Note that the colors are NOT wind speeds or rainfall, that's cloud temperature. Local wind observations are indicated in green with the arrow and wind speed in km/h.

Yes I understand. Here's some data....

Super Typhoon Goni, the strongest storm on Earth and the strongest in all of 2020, is slamming the Philippines after making landfall at full-fledged Category 5 strength.

Super Typhoon Goni underwent rapid intensification during the week, and even strengthened slightly to feature 315 km/h sustained winds, with an astounding peak of 380 km/h.(236 miles per hour)

@Blueringocto_73 That image is a bit old now. Here's the current position based on Windy.com's Infrared Satellite...

View attachment 621603

Note that the colors are NOT wind speeds or rainfall, that's cloud temperature. Local wind observations are indicated in green with the arrow and wind speed in km/h.

Camarines Sur. Taking the brunt of the storms impact.....

camarinesur.jpg

Yes I understand. Here's some data....

Super Typhoon Goni, the strongest storm on Earth and the strongest in all of 2020, is slamming the Philippines after making landfall at full-fledged Category 5 strength.

Super Typhoon Goni underwent rapid intensification during the week, and even strengthened slightly to feature 315 km/h sustained winds, with an astounding peak of 380 km/h.(236 miles per hour)

Sorry, I should have been more clear, the note about the imagery was not specific to you. It was just for anyone who sees it. Typically, when we see weather radar, the colors represent either rain (most commonly) or wind speeds.

But yes, everything you've posted so far is 100% legit. It was really surprising when Goni (Rolly) slowed her roll a few hundred km offshore... If she had kept up her pace, it would have been only Cat 3 or so when making landfall, then dropped off to severe tropical storm as it headed off the west coast.... But Nope! She slowed right down and grew... grew big time!! And, because of her sporadic pace, it's been very difficult to tell if it was going to stay more to the north or drop down to the south (as it did).

Another interesting thing about this storm is that, even as powerful as it was as it hit Caramoran and Legazpi, as it moved westward, the eye seems to have collapsed in on itself.... It's not holding its shape as one would expect a Cat 4 or 5 to do.... Goni has been a strange one, for sure!!

Anyways, a little observation report from Muntinlupa City as of 4:22pm Local (UTC+8):
Fairly light rain with moments of moderate rainfall
Winds are sustained at about 40 km/h with gusts to the mid 80's km/h (+/- 25 mph gusting to +/- 60 mph)
No signs of any damage in my area at this time. Winds are certainly enough to break small and weak tree limbs, but haven't noticed any significant breakage yet...

As of now I still have cell tower contact with three different Filipinos on the ground. One in ,Laguna(east Luzon), one in Cavite(Manila) and one in Valenzuela City(Manila). So at least those towers are intact for now.

D_Fresh knows what's happening more than any of us. He's on the ground in Manila. Hope you and your loved ones are OK.

As of now I still have cell tower contact with three different Filipinos on the ground. One in ,Laguna(east Luzon), one in Cavite(Manila) and one in Valenzuela City(Manila). So at least those towers are intact for now.
Those towers are critical for telecom especially land line is not that accessible in remote areas.

A friend of mine lives on Catanduanes right where the storm first arrived at max strength. Haven't seen any updates from him. Hopefully their precautions held up.

D_Fresh knows what's happening more than any of us. He's on the ground in Manila.

Naw, the more eyes the better, always. I can only report on my specific area and firsthand reports of my friends, most of which are very nearby, so I'm not a good sample for the larger impacts of the storm.

I am aware of some casualties from lahars in Albay... Lots of destruction there already.... (The lahar was volcanic ash/mud flash flood from Mt Mayon, not the hot gaseous type associated with an eruption.) The muddy flash flood was high enough to completely cover/fill the first floor of structures....
IMG-2b97958d884b49e2e05adaee83441173-V.jpg

Back
Top Bottom