Scubapro Aladin A2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaydo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking at buying the new Aladin A2 and I am trying to find someone that has used it to give me some guidance. I can not find any reviews on it at all. I am a new OW diver however I may grow into tech diving in the future (still unsure) and this watch seems to do it all for about 300-400 less than the shearwater line and its also wearable as a normal watch. I could also use it as a back up if I get into tech due to it being able to do trimix. If anyone can give any insight into this watch please help.

Scubapro makes good computers. The only problem that I see is the battery is not rechargeable or user replaceable, which is why I would not buy a computer like this. It is really too new for any reviews to be out yet.

What are your reasons for wanting this computer? I don’t like Human Factors nor PDIS. Scubapro watch form computers have a bad record in my opinion. I had dozens leak and malfunction requiring manufacturer replacement at my LDS over the years.

I do not know what PDIS is however the human factor really interests me. As well as it seems like a computer that will work when I need it and also grow with my skills without me ever out growing it. It also doesn't cost over $1k

I do not know what PDIS is however the human factor really interests me. As well as it seems like a computer that will work when I need it and also grow with my skills without me ever out growing it. It also doesn't cost over $1k

Human factors incorporating heart rate and skin temp have been discussed ad nauseum on SB. I suggest doing a search. You will not find much support for this or PDIS on SB. If you’re set on purchasing it, go ahead. You will however struggle to recoup your investment; SP have lousy resale values for good reason. I would look instead at the Atmos Mission One.

I am looking at buying the new Aladin A2 and I am trying to find someone that has used it to give me some guidance. I can not find any reviews on it at all. I am a new OW diver however I may grow into tech diving in the future (still unsure) and this watch seems to do it all for about 300-400 less than the shearwater line and its also wearable as a normal watch. I could also use it as a back up if I get into tech due to it being able to do trimix. If anyone can give any insight into this watch please help.

I use the SCUBAPRO Aladin A2. It is a nice recreational dive computer. Much better user interface than the previous watch models like the Mantis M1 or M2. The air integration works great and the display is easily readable. The battery should last about 2 years, but the A2 is too new to know if that is accurate. I put the computer on at the start of my dive trip and don't remove it until I am back home.

One issue I have is that PDIS (Profile Dependent Intermediate Stops) are enabled and cannot be turned off. You can ignore them, but they display the stop depth on the screen and I have zero interest in seeing that information. The SCUBAPRO G2 allows you to disable PDIS, I don't know why that is not an option on the A2. You mention there may be a possibility of technical diving in the future. The A2 uses ZH-L16 ADT MB PMG which is not an algorithm I see being used by many technical divers.

If you are looking for a nice air integrated, watch sized dive computer for recreational diving that does not need charging every few days or every week, I think the A2 is an excellent choice. If you are looking for a computer that you can take into technical diving, it is my opinion that there are better options available.

a good choice as a diving computer for recreational diving.
If you want to switch to the TEC area in the future, you can use the A2 and / or continue to use it as a backup dive computer.

it currently only supports the in-house, modified ZH-L16 algorithm. for recreational diving from my point of view a good, modern and proven algorithm.
maybe at some point there will be an update for the A2 with official ZH-L16 GF support ?!

The use as a clock on land is positive. a pleasant feature, especially on vacation.
the integrated compass is also a nice feature to find your way back to the beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom