First trip to Cozumel coming up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't rent a car; as others noted, you can walk places just fine. It might've taken me 15 minutes to walk to the Mega for groceries, and I'm not fast. The first time you walk in, it may look like a failing strip mall. Get on the escalator and ride up to the actual Mega store. To get to the Mega, step out Casa Mexicana's front door, turn left and walk. That's about it.

Step out Casa Mexicana's front door and turn right, and you immediately hit Mary Juana, a bar/restaurant with outdoor seating. I liked the fish taco. Walk past it and take right, walk down the block; you'll see Aldora's shop across the street to your left. Keep on walking to the end of the block you're already on; at the intersection, you can turn right and walk over to Kondesa (seemed a bit more upscale, vegetation out front, think I had octopus linguini - good food), or you can turn left and walk aways to find Casa Cuzamil, where I enjoyed fajitas a couple of times.

All assuming I remember correctly and nothing's changed the past couple of years.

Strep out of Casa Mexicana's front door, turn right, and walk straight aways (I don't recall just how far; bit of exercise, not too bad; you'll pass Suites Bahia) and you'll eventually find the Lobster Shack. They only took cash. That dipping sauce they say is hot? Yeah, very hot.

Cozumel has nice variety; I liked the Palancar sites, and they have more 'built up' underwater structure. Some of which blocks current, so it's not all necessarily a drift dive. I was there in 2018 -
Tres Pelicanos & Casa Mexicana, Cozumel Sept. 2018 Report - Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexican Trip Report Sept. 2018

Try and do santa rosa and Columbia deep, both world class

If it still holds true these are the reefs closed Oct - Nov.

San Francisco
San Francisco Bajo (Bay)
Santa Rosa Pared (Wall)
Santa Rosa

Still lost of great reefs left. Although both Santa Rosa Reefs are some of my favorites.
Have a great time

I'm the odd man out that really likes having a car. Using taxi's is cheaper, but I like to drive around and look at things at my convenience.

If all the divers in your boat are staying in town you might ask about doing San Juan as a second dive one day.. Since it is north of town you do your SI on the way and your boat ride back to the dock is much shorter. San Juan is usually pretty fast current and there is a section of rolling mounds of white finger coral and red vegetation that is unlike any of the other sites.

Keep in mind the shop will want to check your skills before going to advanced sites and sites are all very weather/current dependent. Trust the Captain and the DM. If they say a site is a no go once you arrive, there is a dang good reason.
There is no bad sites. Follow the DM and don't get ahead of them. Go with the flow, literally.
I would NOT rent a car. Taxi's are every where. Ask and agree on the price before you get in a taxi. They are required to have a rate card, ask for it if the price seems high, magically the price may drop if you ask for the rate card.
Use Only bank ATM's. Do not agree to the add on fee's. I would never use a free standing ATM. Bring small denomination US cash for Diving tips (Capt and DM). Tip goes to the DM and will be split with Capt/crew. Pay for everything you can with Pesos for the best exchange rate that you got at the bank ATM. Mega takes CC payment for goods, I always pay in pesos. Check with your CC company to see about fees before you go the CC rate though.
Good food can be found everywhere. My wife and good friends always want to go to Guido's, pricey for the island, good Sangria, I almost always order something from the specials menu. El Morro is always good, lots of food, owner Ray is great. Two for one Lion Fish dishes on Thursday's at La Perlita. Sorrisi is probably the nicest restaurant on the island with good wine selection. El Pique for tacos cheap and very good. I like the pork chop taco (kinda salty but good).
Take pictures, post for those that can't be on the boat with you. Have fun. Happy bubbles

Keep in mind the shop will want to check your skills before going to advanced sites and sites are all very weather/current dependent. Trust the Captain and the DM. If they say a site is a no go once you arrive, there is a dang good reason.
There is no bad sites. Follow the DM and don't get ahead of them. Go with the flow, literally.
I would NOT rent a car. Taxi's are every where. Ask and agree on the price before you get in a taxi. They are required to have a rate card, ask for it if the price seems high, magically the price may drop if you ask for the rate card.
Use Only bank ATM's. Do not agree to the add on fee's. I would never use a free standing ATM. Bring small denomination US cash for Diving tips (Capt and DM). Tip goes to the DM and will be split with Capt/crew. Pay for everything you can with Pesos for the best exchange rate that you got at the bank ATM. Mega takes CC payment for goods, I always pay in pesos. Check with your CC company to see about fees before you go the CC rate though.
Good food can be found everywhere. My wife and good friends always want to go to Guido's, pricey for the island, good Sangria, I almost always order something from the specials menu. El Morro is always good, lots of food, owner Ray is great. Two for one Lion Fish dishes on Thursday's at La Perlita. Sorrisi is probably the nicest restaurant on the island with good wine selection. El Pique for tacos cheap and very good. I like the pork chop taco (kinda salty but good).
Take pictures, post for those that can't be on the boat with you. Have fun. Happy bubbles

Great info. I’ve been where we’ve been guided by a dive master and to where we were on our own at smaller sites. Do the DMs have good dive plans that they go over with us before the dive?

I’ve read a bunch about wetsuit recommendations, but haven’t come to a concise conclusion. I was thinking about a rash guard and shorts or a 3mm shorty. I’ve watched a lot of videos where people have been in full suits though..... ??

Food? Here you go! So much to choose from!

La Choza
Kooben Laab
Cervecia Punta Sur-Best Pizza and Empanadas!
Los Otates-it's all good
Bucanos
Casa Mission
Hemmingway's- Get the Skirt Steak!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom