No depth gauge just computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it considered bad if I skip the depth gauge on my next set of gear? Just using a computer for depth and a wrist compass? Looking at getting back into diving with a travel size setup. I have never dove with a computer before. Just paper charts and analog gauges. But it seems like this is a good way to eliminate some clunky equipment?

Just normal holiday fun diving, nothing fancy.

Thanks

I still dive using the analog depth gauge (Scubapro) I purchased new in 1987. Only, I wear it on my wrist rather than in the two-gauge console that it originally came installed in.

This gauge remains accurate and never needs batteries.

rx7diver

Agree with no separate depth gauge or spg. I do like wearing a backup (non-ai) computer and spg in my bag when traveling far from home so I don’t have to skip subsequent dives if something fails.

I was watching a fellow diver trying to show off on a safety stop recently and when he lost his second stage sure looked sad trying to breathe from the air macdoodle until someone found his reg for him.

We also pack a full replacement console with SPG, depth gage and compass, plus the proper wrenches to remove and install on either my or my wife’s rig.

Regarding your “air macdoodle” comment, mine’s very accessible, and easily put to use if needed.

I remember being shown how and where the shoulder dump on my BCD is, and that muscle memory remains after 35 years of diving. My Air2 is right where I expect it to be.

I dive with the Shearwater Perdix as my dive computer but do not use the Air Intergration. I use a compact Cressie Digital console which gives your time depth water temp and range which means time left to 50 bar from any point on your dive.

CRESSI  CONSOLE.jpg

mine’s very accessible, and easily put to use if needed.

‘I’m sure your "air2" works great - more power to you. I am happy to "dive and let dive". :) The statement wasn’t directed at you, but was in response to an earlier note. Everyone should use whatever they want.

Since this is in the "new diver and those considering diving" forum I think it’s reasonable to point out that there are other options. And particularly, there are other options that can grow with the diver in the event they decide to pursue a long hose or other alternate configuration in the future.

‘I’m sure your "air2" works great - more power to you. I am happy to "dive and let dive". :) The statement wasn’t directed at you, but was in response to an earlier note. Everyone should use whatever they want.

Since this is in the "new diver and those considering diving" forum I think it’s reasonable to point out that there are other options. And particularly, there are other options that can grow with the diver in the event they decide to pursue a long hose or other alternate configuration in the future.

Plenty of debates on this Board about the pros and cons of an Air2-type second.

Your misrepresentational description introduced a personal bias into a thread about an entirely different component of dive equipment, and in my opinion, was inappropriate, unnecessary and did not contribute to answering the OP’s initial question.

If you don’t appreciate that well-proven piece of equipment, post your sarcastic comments in a thread where that is the primary topic.

We also pack a full replacement console with SPG, depth gage and compass, plus the proper wrenches to remove and install on either my or my wife’s rig.

Regarding your “air macdoodle” comment, mine’s very accessible, and easily put to use if needed.

I remember being shown how and where the shoulder dump on my BCD is, and that muscle memory remains after 35 years of diving. My Air2 is right where I expect it to be.
Our spare console with computer is attached to a spare everything else. And I dive with 2 identical computers. Belt and suspenders.

Wait

Wait, won't you die if you dive with an air2?

My first Depth Gauge was a red ribbon. My first computer was an Orca Skinny Dipper. I really can't remember the last time I used an actual depth gauge... 2001? 2002? I almost always dive with two PDCs and sometimes more. Quite often I dive using AI, but not always. I really like them for sidemount but it's a toss up for back mount.

Whatever you dive with, depth gauge or PDC, it's just a tool. It's up to you to learn and use your tool in a way that keeps you safe. Be sure you understand how to set NitrOx and what all the alarms mean. Your safety is still up to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom