The Pioneer of Diving in Raja Ampat, West Papua, Indonesia | 4K VIDEO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Usual acronym for Raja ampat because Ampat means 4.
Raja means King. Hence Raja Ampat = Four Kings, ie. the four main islands in the region.

I am happy to share my latest video - a fascinating story of Max Ammer, the pioneer of scuba diving in Raja Ampat, West Papua in Indonesia. The Raja Ampat is called, by many, the Last Paradise on Earth.

Listen to the story of collecting World War II relics, training local people and working with them to build the resort, and conservation efforts of Max and his partners. Fly over the most beautiful place on Earth and dive the richest reefs on the Planet.

ENJOY.

Thanks for making this wonderful video. We are hoping to make it there in a year, and hoping the world would be a better place then.

Max is a very special man. Don't confuse him with anybody else! (I hope you don't mind but I posted a link to your film on Undercurrent's Facebook page.)

Not at all, John. I appreciated sharing a link to my film. I believe everyone (not only divers) should know about people like Max.

Just saw this, great job. I met Max in 2004. He gave me 50% disc to stay and dive at his place because I was working for a local environmental NGO at that time. I would not have been to afford it at that time (or now).

There are many foreigners like Max in Indonesia - people who loved the marine environment and pioneered local diving. As Indonesian I can not imagine the challenges - it's hard enough to start up a business and manage if, if you are an Indonesian. If foreigner, I don't event want to consider it. I'd have killed myself from frustration (or killed someone).

Kudos to Max in Papua, Ton and Marjan in Aceh, Cedric and Anne in Alor (and the Brit I don't remember name of), Janosz and Eva at Kei Islands, etc. My heroes! I would not be able to see my own country, without them. Perhaps one day there will be a book about these pioneering people.

Just saw this, great job. I met Max in 2004. He gave me 50% disc to stay and dive at his place because I was working for a local environmental NGO at that time. I would not have been to afford it at that time (or now).

There are many foreigners like Max in Indonesia - people who loved the marine environment and pioneered local diving. As Indonesian I can not imagine the challenges - it's hard enough to start up a business and manage if, if you are an Indonesian. If foreigner, I don't event want to consider it. I'd have killed myself from frustration (or killed someone).

Kudos to Max in Papua, Ton and Marjan in Aceh, Cedric and Anne in Alor (and the Brit I don't remember name of), Janosz and Eva at Kei Islands, etc. My heroes! I would not be able to see my own country, without them. Perhaps one day there will be a book about these pioneering people.
I've got a chapter devoted to Ton and Marjan in my book "Amazing Diving Stories".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom